OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
|http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.ARCH:hua14010View HOLLIS Record
Questions or Comments Copyright Statement
On July 1, 2018, OASIS will retire. It will be replaced by HOLLIS for Archival Discovery. Please explore.
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: HUM 29
Repository: Harvard University Archives
Creator: Belknap, Jeremy, 1744-1798
Title: Triennial Catalogue annotated by Jeremy Belknap, 1791
Quantity: .03 cubic feet (1 volumes)
Language of materials: English
Abstract: Jeremy Belknap (1744-1798, Harvard AB 1762, AM 1765) was a minister and historian. The collection holds a 1791 copy of the Harvard Triennial Catalogue annotated by Belknap. Belknap's work was a resource for the Biographical Sketches of Graduates of Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1642-1774 series.
In the Harvard University Archives
- Harvard University. Quinquennial Catalogue of the Officers and Graduates, 1636-1930. Cambridge: Harvard University, 1930.
- Harvard University. Triennial Catalogues Collection, 1674-1797.
- Harvard University. Triennial Catalogues after 1800, HU 20.35A.
- Sibley, John Langdon. Papers of John Langdon Sibley, 1802-1936, HUG 1791.
- Winthrop, William, 1753-1825. William Winthrop Collection, 1782-1825. HUM 27, Harvard University Archives.
Jeremy Belknap was born in Boston on June 4, 1744. He received an AB from Harvard in 1762 and an AM in 1765. He became the minister of the First Congregational Church of Dover, New Hampshire in 1767, and later served as minister at the Church in Long Lane, Boston. As a historian, Belknap published the History of New Hampshire (1784) and American Biography (1794). His work on American Biography led to his interest in Harvard's history, and he explained in a letter two months before his death that he had "formed a design to go thru' the whole Catalogue of the graduates of Harvard College, & relate all that is proper to be related, of what can be known or can be recovered of each & every one of them." Belknap founded the Massachusetts Historical Society in 1791 and also served on the Harvard Board of Overseers. He died on June 20, 1798.
- Letter from Jeremy Belknap to Richard Cranch, March 27, 1798 in the William Winthrop Collection, 1782-1825. HUM 27, Harvard University Archives.
- Shipton, Clifford K. Biographical Sketches of Graduates of Harvard University in Cambridge Massachusetts, Volume VII. 1722-1725. Boston: Massachusetts Historical Society, 1945.
The collection consists of an interleaved and annotated 1791 Triennial Catalogue. The Triennial Catalogues are chronological and cumulative lists of Harvard graduates published every three years from 1674 to 1875. The Catalogues represent Harvard's first efforts to comprehensively document its graduates and were considered the official record of degree recipients.
This document last updated 2013 April 29.