Hunt, Frederick V. Papers of Frederick V. Hunt : an inventoryHarvard University Archives
©President and Fellows of Harvard College, 2001
Repository: Harvard University Archives
Cambridge, MA 02138
Title: Papers of Frederick V. Hunt, 1927-1970
Quantity: ca. 10 linear ft. in 29 containers
Call No.: HUG 4458
Creator: Hunt, Frederick V.
Abstract: Frederick Vinton Hunt (1905-1972) was a scientist and Harvard University
professor who contributed substantially to acoustical engineering. His papers document
professional activities and date chiefly from after World War II.
Note: See below for information on access and restrictions.
Language of materials: English.
Hunt, Frederick V.
Pierce, George Washington, 1872-1956.
Harvard Underwater Sound Laboratory.
Harvard University. Laboratories for Acoustics.
Harvard University. Division of Engineering and Applied Physics.
Harvard University -- Physics.
Harvard University -- Engineering.
Frederick Vinton Hunt (1905-1972), an American educator and scientist, contributed
to numerous aspects of acoustics and communications. An inventor, Hunt also held 13
Hunt's early interest was in room acoustics, this was followed by an interest in
recording and playback that continued throughout his career. (The interest in phonographs
began in 1936.
After developing sound recording equipment to document Harvard University's Tercentenary
Vinton and his colleague J.A. Pierce were faced with the challenge of making equally
equipment; their researches led to the development of criteria that eventually made
long-playing record.) In 1941, Hunt founded the Harvard Underwater Sound Laboratory.
War II, this laboratory developed anti-submarine devices, including torpedoes and
efficient sonar systems.
At its height during the war, the staff expanded to 450, and the laboratory facilities
grew to include ships,
field stations, and the Hemenway Gymnasium at Harvard.
Hunt's achievements as an educator are also notable. His teaching methods were Socratic.
Thirty-five doctoral dissertations were written under his direction. He played a key
role in establishing the
Division of Engineering and Applied Physics, part of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences,
Hunt earned an AB in 1924 and a B.E.E. in 1925 from Ohio State University. He earned
in physics from Harvard in 1934, submitted a second thesis to the Graduate School
of Engineering for an
S.D., but was refused because Harvard would not award two doctorates to the same individual.
remained at Harvard until his retirement in 1971. He was Instructor in Physics (1934-1937),
Professor (1937-1940), Associate Professor (1940-1946), Gordon McKay Professor of
(1946-1971); the additional title of Rumford Professor of Physics became his in 1953.
He received many honors, including an honorary S.D. from Harvard in 1945, the Presidential
Medal of Merit from President Truman in 1947, and the Distinguished Service Medal
by the U.S. Navy in
These papers document Hunt's professional activities, and date chiefly from after
World War II.
Much of the material relates to professional societies, journals, and committee work.
correspondence, laboratory notebooks, patents, memoranda, a project diary, minutes,
reports, and medals.
|Correspondence, subject file, 1940's-1960's
||12 containers; Call number: HUG 4458.5
|General correspondence, 1932-1959
||2 containers; Call number: HUG 4458.6
|General correspondence, alphabetical file, [n.d.]
||4 containers; Call number: HUG 4458.6.5
|Correspondence, special committees
||2 containers; Call number: HUG 4458.7
|Research and Development Board. Panel on Acoustics, 1947-1949.
container; Call number: HUG 4458.7.5
||1 container; Call number: HUG 4458.8
||3 containers; Call number: HUG 4458.10
|Project diary, 1947-1970 and office memos, 1963
||2 containers; Call number: HUG
|Pioneers of Underwater Acoustics Medal, 1965
||1 container; Call number: HUG 4458.17
|Epistolae Pro Pioneers of Underwater Acoustics Medal, 1965
||Call number: HUG 4458.18
|Gold Medal, Acoustical Society, 1969
||1 container; Call number: HUG 4458.20
|Publications and presentations, a chronological list, 1933-1970
||1 container; Call number: HUG
|Graduate School of Engineering
||1 container; Call number: HUG 4458.50
The collection is open for viewing and photocopying is permitted. Permission is required
publication. Contact the Reference Staff of the Harvard University Archives for details.
Photocopying is permitted. Permission is required for publication. Contact the Reference
the Harvard University Archives for details.
Most material received from Prof. Hunt, 1971 , remainder from Division of Engineering and
Applied Physics, August 1973 .
Only the first series has been described in detail.
- Series: HUG 4458.5 Correspondence, subject file, 1940s-1960s (12 containers)
- Box 1 A - General Correspondence up to 1956
- Box 1 A - Miscellaneous 1956-63
- Box 1 Acoustica Associates Inc.
- Acoustical Society of America
- Box 1 Anniversary Meeting 1954
- Box 1 Boston Branch 1962/63
- Box 1 Committee on Careers
- Box 1 Committee on Development and Promise
- Box 1 Fellowship Recommendations, 1944-61
- Box 1 General 1939-63
- Box 1 Committee on International Relations 1959-63
- Box 2 Membership, recommendations
- Box 2 Noise Control 1953-60
- Box 2 Nominating Committee 1953/54, 1958/59, 1963/64
- Box 2 Papers read at meetings
- Box 2 Committee on Public Policy 1957/59
- Box 2 Publications 1959-63
- Box 2 Students Adviser to Executive Council
- Box 2 Committee on Structure of Council
- Box 2 Symposium on Acoustic Cavitation
- Box 2 Ultrsonics Symposium
- Box 2 Addressograph Multigraph Co.
- Box 2 Air Force - Cambridge
- Box 2 Air Materials Command
- Box 2 Allred and Newhouse
- Box 2 Altec Lansing Corp.
- Box 2 American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Box 2 American Journal of Physics
- American Institute of Physics
- Box 2 General 1951-63
- Box 3 Committee to elect new editor of J. of Applied Physics
- Box 3 Advisory Committee on Journal of Applied Physics
- Box 3 Nominating Committee 1953-55
- Box 3 Committee to study Physics Publishing
- Box 3 Committee to study Publishing problems
- Box 3 American Men of Science
- Box 3 American Optical - Biren O'Brien
- Box 3 American Physical Society
- American Standards Association
- Box 3 Ac Stds. Bd. 1955-63
- Box 3 I E C 1959-63
- Box 3 Letter ballets 1959
- Box 3 Prepared Am Stand. Specifications for Audiometers
- Box 3 S1 1959-63
- Box 3 S1, Am. Std. Math. For Phys Mean Sound
- Box 3 S2 1959-63
- Box 3 S3 1959-63
- Box 4 S4 (formerly 257) 1961-63
- Box 4 Z-24 1950-55
- Box 4 Z-24, 57, S1, 2, 1957
- Box 4 Z-57, S1, 2, 3 1958
- Box 4 Z-57, 1959-60
- Box 5 American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Box 5 American Society for Testing Materials
- Box 5 Applied Mechanics Review 1946-51
- Box 5 Armour Research, Sound Absorption Meas.
- Box 5 Armour Research, General
- Box 5 Audio Engineering Society, 1956-59
- Box 5 Audio Instrument Co., C.J. LeBil
- Box 5 B-General Correspondence
- Box 5 B-Miscellaneous, 1960-63
- Box 5 Bauer, Benjamin, 1955-56
- Box 5 Bell Telephone Labs, 1957-63
- Box 5 Bell Telephone Labs, General
- Box 5 Bell Telephone, Mills, John
- Box 5 Bell Telephone Labs, Warren Mason & Oliver Bernard
- Box 5 Bolt, Beranek, Newman, 1959-63
- Box 5 Boeing Airplane Co.
- Box 6 C-General Correspondence up 1955
- Box 6 C-Miscellaneous 1956-59
- Box 6 California Research Corp.
- Box 6 California, Univ. of Sir Charles Wright
- Box 6 Cavitation Conference
- Box 6 Clevite Corp,; Rines-FVH & JAP patents
- Box 6 Columbia University, Comm. On Govt. Aided Res.
- Box 6 Comstock & Westcott, Inc.
- Box 6 Conferences & Symposia (Misc.), 1955/56
- Box 6 Conferences (notes)
- Box 6 Consulting - General
- Box 6 Consultation, Barsky & Strauss
- Box 6 Consultation, Estey Organ Pipes
- Box 6 Consultation, McAuliffe & Hadley
- Box 6 Consultation, University of PA System
- Box 6 Cunningham, Jack W.
- Box 6 Curtis Wright Corp.
- Box 6 D-General Correspondence
- Box 6 D-General Correspondence up to 1955
- Box 6 D-Miscellaneous up to 1963
- Box 6 Dawson; World War I Report
- Box 6 Defense Research Lab up to 1955
- Box 6 Defense Research Lab (University of Texas)
- Box 6 Defense Research Lab - Panel on
- Box 7 Document Office Lellauer
- Box 7 E-General Correspondence
- Box 7 E-Miscellaneous up to 1963
- Box 7 F-General Correspondence up to 1955
- Box 7 4th International Congress on Acoustics
- Box 7 Fulbright Committee
- Box 7 G-General Correspondence up to 1955
- Box 7 G.E. , Manual, Clifford
- Box 7 General Electric, General
- Box 7 General Motors Cavitation Symposium
- Box 7 General Radio, Shaw & Tucker
- Box 7 Gordon, McKay lectures on patent law
- Box 7 Gordon, McKay Will, Bush Panel
- Box 7 H-General Correspondence up to 1955
- Box 7 H-Miscellaneous 1962/63
- Box 8 Hardway, E.V., Pres. Of Beta Corp.
- Box 8 Harvard Club of New York
- Box 8 Harvard College Library
- Box 8 Harvard Faculty Club
- Box 8 Harvard University, General
- Box 8 Hickling, Robert D.
- Box 8 I-General Correspondence
- Institute of Radio Engineers
- Box 8 Ultrasonic Cleaning
- Box 8 Standards Acoust. Term.
- Box 8 International Commission on Acoustics
- Box 8 Instrumental Society of America
- Box 8 International Cooperation in Science
- Box 8 International Nickel
- Box 8 J-General Correspondence up to 1955
- Box 8 Johns Hopkins University
- Box 8 K-General Correspondence up to 1955
- Box 9 L-Miscellaneous, 1956/63
- Box 9 LeCorbeitter's courses
- Box 9 Liveness Numbers Publication
- Box 9 M-General Correspondence
- Box 9 Mac-Mc-M-Miscellaneous, 1960-63
- Box 9 Mac-Mc-Miscellaneous
- Box 9 McGraw Hill (Physical Acoustic Book by Hunt)
- Box 9 McGraw Hill - General
- Box 9 Marks-Mechanical Engineering Handbook
- Box 9 MIT, General Correspondence
- Box 9 N-Miscellaneous 1960-63
- Box 10 NASA, National Advisory Committee on Aeronautics
- Box 10 National Bureau of Standards
- Box 10 National Foundation for Science and Industry
- Box 10 National Research Council, 1956/58
- Box 10 National Research Council
- Box 10 National Research Council, Physical Science Division
- Box 10 Naval Ordnance Laboratory
- Box 10 O-Miscellaneous, 1960/63
- Box 10 Office of Technical Services
- Box 10 Ohio State University
- Box 10 Ordnance Research Lab.
- Box 10 Penn State College
- Box 10 Pierce, George Washington
- Box 10 Piezoelectric Crystals Committee
- Box 10 Probe Hydrophone Materials
- Box 10 Probe Hydrophone Measurements
- Box 10 Radio Corporation of America
- Box 10 Random Sequence Generators
- Box 10 Raytheon (Microphone Calibration)
- Box 11 Record Industry Association of America, Inc.
- Box 11 Reeves-Ely Laboratory
- Box 11 Review of Scientific Instruments
- Box 11 S-General Correspondence
- Box 11 S-Miscellaneous, 1962/63
- Box 11 Science, Journal of the AAAS
- Box 11 Second International Congress on Acoustics
- Box 11 SONAR (anecdotal history of)
- Box 11 Sound Apparatus Co.
- Box 11 Technical Advisory Panel on Electronics
- Box 12 Visitors to A.R.L.
- Box 12 Wheeler Labs, Inc.
- Box 12 White, J.E., Ohio Oil Co.
- Box 12 White, W.O. & Sons
- Box 12 Wiley, John & Sons
- Series: HUG 4458.6 General correspondence, 1932-1959 (2 containers)
- Series: HUG 4458.6.5 General correspondence, alphabetical file, [n.d.] (4 containers)
- Series: HUG 4458.7 Correspondence, special committees, [n.d.] (2 containers)
- Box 1 Committee for Applied Science Monographs, 1946-1961
- Box 2 Editorial Committee for Applied Science; Committee on Properties of Materials; Library
- Series: HUG 4458.7.5 Research and Development Board. Panel on Acoustics, 1947-1949 (1 container)
Acquisition Information: Received August 1973 from Division of
Engineering and Applied Physics.
Historical Note: Note: F.V. Hunt was chairman of the Panel, 1947-1948.
Scope and Content: Contains correspondence, reports, memoranda, lists, and minutes.
- Series: HUG 4458.8 Notebooks, 1927-1949 (1 container)
- Series: HUG 4458.15 Project diary, 1947-1970 and office memos, 1963 (2 containers)
- Series: HUG 4458.17 Pioneers of Underwater Acoustics Medal, 1965 (1 container)
- Series: HUG 4458.18 Epistolae Pro Pioneers of Underwater Acoustics Medal, 1965
- Series: HUG 4458.20 Gold Medal, Acoustical Society, 1969 (1 container)
- Series: HUG 4458.25 Publications and presentations, a chronological list, 1933-1970 (1 container)