Harvard University. Archives. Policies and procedures records, 1938-1999 : an inventory
Harvard University Archives
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: UAV 156.211.1
Repository: Harvard University Archives
Creator: Harvard University. Archives.
Title: Processing policies and procedures records, , 1938-1999.
Date(s): , 1938-1999.
Quantity: 1 collection (.9 cubic foot (3 boxes)
Abstract: This series documents the various policies and procedures according to which staff
in the Harvard University Archives performed their duties from 1938-1996.
Processed by Kate Bowers, 2002 and 2005.
There is no restriction on access to this material.
This document last updated 2005 March 11.
- Series: General Policies and Procedures (1 half document box)
- Archives Staff Manual, ca. 1980
Immediate Source of Acquisition: The Archives Staff Manual, ca. 1980, was placed in the "Archives of the Archives"
in March 2005, when it was discovered on a shelf in a re-assigned staff office.
Processing Information: The manual had been housed in a 3-ring binder. Staff removed it from the binder and
placed it in archival folders and a document box.
Contents of the staff manual
: The staff manual contains documents consisting of, or describing, each of the following
processes, policies, forms, or resources.
- Accessions form
- Acknowledgement of accessions
- Card catalog
- Cataloguing in Widener of archival materials
- Claiming material
- Class secretary letter
- Clippings job
- Closing time
- Count sheet
- Countway Library, material stored in
- Descriptive guide to the HUA [Harvard University Archives]
- Faculty committee reports
- Fees for first-time use of visual materials
- Files [a list of categories of files in the HUA]
- HUG reorganization decisions
- Interlibrary loans and RLG [Research Libaries Group]
- Instructions for new employees
- Inventory forms
- Loaning art objects
- Overdue notices
- Phone memoranda forms
- Photocopy policy and forms
- Prize papers
- Reference questions
- Registrar's office records
- Registration card
- Shelving material in HUA
- Stacks in Pusey
- Student assistants
- Student club letter
- Student folders
- Theses processing and loans
- Time slips
- Transmital letter and forms
- Twenty-fifth reunion exhibit
- Weeding files
- Series: Processing Policies and Procedures
Acquisition Information: Processing Policies and Procedures dated 1965 or later was placed in the "Archives
of the Archives" in September 2001, after administrative use in the University Archives
ceased. Material dating 1938-1941 was received, and had previously been identified
as, "Papers of Kimball Elkins."
History: In 1938, Kimball Elkins documented policies and procedures for processing (arranging and describing,) archival holdings in the Harvard University Archives. His ideas were based on procedures
used in the National Archives (U.S.) and lectures and training sessions by T. R. Schellenberg. Procedures for cataloging books and monographs were those followed in the Harvard College Library. Elkin's
successors updated the procedures periodically, usually incorporating portions of
old manuals into the new version.
Scope of the Records: This series documents the various policies and procedures according to which materials
were arranged and described in the Harvard University Archives from 1938-1996. Procedures
documented here include classification of all materials in the Archives, processing of archival and manuscript material,
and cataloging of books and theses. Documents consist chiefly of manuals, but some early background material, 1938-1941, is included. Manuals contain not only
procedures, but also explanations of classification schemes and their application,
lists of subject headings, examples of catalog cards or bibliographic records, and
directions for weeding that are essentially a collecting policy. Background material
consists of National Archives publications and machine-duplicated training and lecture
material from T. R. Schellenberg.
- Cataloging Manuals
- Cataloging Manual, ca. 1970? (3-ring binder) Box 1
- Cataloger's guide, 1988 and 1996 revisions (3-ring binder) Box 1
Concerns thesis cataloging.
- Archives Cataloging Manual, ca. 1970-ca. 1999 (3-ring binder) Box 1
Includes list of local subject headings, explanations of local classification system,
and memoranda on solutions to year-2000 problems in classification system.
- Archival Processing Manuals
- Work plans and instructions, ca. 1938-1950 (1 spring-spine binder) Box 2
- Notes on Processing, ca. 1979 (typescript; loose pages in folder) Box 1
This is essentially a processing manual.
- Processing Manual, 1985 (2 copies; master is loose pages in folder; use copy in clip folder) Box 1
- Forms and memoranda, ca. 1986-ca. 1989 (loose pages in folder) Box 1
- Processing Manual supplement, 1989 (loose pages in folder) Box 2
- Processing Manual, 1991 (1 clip folder) Box 2
- Processing Manual, 1997 (1 spring-spine binder) Box 2
Includes notes on updating processing manual.
- Processing Background Material
- Kimball Elkins' notes (loose pages in folder) Box 2
Includes notes on Schellenberg lectures.
- National Archives publications Box 2
Informational pamphlet publications for archivists from the National Archives (U.S.)