Cambridge Electron Accelerator (Cambridge, Mass.) Records of the Cambridge Electron
Accelerator : an inventory
Harvard University Archives
©President and Fellows of Harvard College, 2006
Repository: Harvard University Archives
Title: Records of the Cambridge Electron Accelerator, 1952-1974
Quantity: (ca. 148 boxes, 3 reels of film, 6 videocassettes, and 1 portfolio folder)
Call No.: UAV 257
Creator: Cambridge Electron Accelerator.
Abstract: These records provide detailed and comprehensive account of the activities
of the Cambridge Electron Accelerator. In so doing, they document research in experimental
high-energy physics from 1962-1974.
Note: This document last updated 2006 November 15.
Language of materials: English.
Livingston, M. Stanley (Milton Stanley)
Cambridge Electron Accelerator.
Harvard University -- Laboratories.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
U.S. Atomic Energy Commission.
International Conference on High Energy Accelerators, (6th : 1967 : Cambridge, Mass.).
Harvard University -- Relations with federal government.
Harvard University -- Relations with Cambridge, Mass.
Harvard University -- Physics.
Atomic energy -- Research.
Physics -- Research.
The Cambridge Electron Accelerator was constructed and operated jointly by Harvard University
and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and supported by the Atomic Energy Commission . It
existed as a research facility from 1962 to ca. 1974. Pioneering research in the physics of high energy
interactions of electrons and photons was carried out by teams composed of staff members and graduate
students from the sponsoring institutions and other research centers. M. Stanley
Livingston was director of
The Records of the Cambridge Electron Accelerator provide detailed and comprehensive
documentation of the founding, activities, and closing of the Cambridge Electron Accelerator.
contain proposals for the accelerator and document construction of the facility. Records
reveal details of
daily administrative tasks, including staffing, experiments, apparatus, the relationship
of the facility to
other accelerators, to educational institutions, and to the federal government. The
records also document
the closing of the facility, including efforts to relocate personnel and materials.
Information is in the form
of correspondence and memoranda, reports, manuals, logbooks, minutes of staff meetings,
records on individual scientists, drawings, blueprints, photographs, motion picture
film and videocassettes.
Records of the Cambridge Electron Accelerator are restricted for 50 years after the
date of creation
of the record. Records that may contain personnel or student information are restricted
for 80 years.
Contact the Reference Staff of the Harvard University Archives for details.
Contact the Reference Staff of the Harvard University Archives for details.
Most material transferred from director's office to Archives. Unnumbered accessions
accession numbers: 7921 and 12645.
- Series: UAV 257.5 through UAV 257.47 Records of the Director, 1952-1974 (66 containers)
Scope and Content: Contains Director's office files with correspondence, minutes of the Cambridge Accelerator
project proposals, reports, blueprints and other records documenting the establishment
of the Cambridge
Electron Accelerator, including planning, contract negotiations and building construction.
include Arthur D. Little, Inc ., U.S. Atomic Energy Commission and M.I.T. Also director's records
concerning experiments such as Synchroton Radiation, radiation safety, apparatus, and other technical
- UAV 257.8 Records concerning establishment of CEA, 1952-1962 (1 box)
Scope and Content: Correspondence, history,
minutes of Cambridge Accelerator Project, memos, blueprints, and 1957 proposal.
- UAV 257.20 Office files concerning tours, budget, contracts, appointments, users group, lists,
speakers, travel, and space requests, 1956-1973 (inclusive), 1961-1966 (bulk). (2 boxes)
Scope and Content: Includes correspondence, memos (with some by M.S. Livingston, 1956-59), committee
- Box 1 M.S.L. Memoranda, 1956-1959.
- Box 1 NY00 - Official budget submissions, 1961-1966.
- Box 1 Contract (2076) negotiations, 1961-1966.
- Box 1 Cost reduction program, 1964.
- Box 1 Planning Committee instructions, 1962-1963.
- Box 1 For Ad Hoc committee on staff appointments, 1963.
- Box 1 Correspondence re. Lecturer appointments, 1961, 1968.
- Box 2 Addressograph Distribution lists.
- Box 2 Speakers at CEA Jan. 1970-
- Box 2 Space requests, 1971-1973.
- Box 2 Visitors, 1970-1973.
- Box 2 Articles and Agreements.
- Box 2 Foreign Employment Procedures.
- Box 2 Vacations and absences, 1970, 1971.
- Box 2 CEA in advertising.
- Box 2 Freshman seminar, 1961-1972.
- Box 2 CEA neighbors, 1961-1965.
- Box 2 People and Particles (film).
- Box 2 WGBH (CEA film), 1962-1967
- UAV 257.23 Office files concerning project proposals, contract negotiations, construction planning,
and organization of CEA, 1953-1970 (5 boxes)
Scope and Content: Includes correspondence, proposals, agendas and
minutes of meetings, committee assignment lists, and blueprints. Also records of
Cambridge Accelerator Project, Design Group, and record about 1970 funding reduction
- Box 1 Sub-project proposal.
- Box 1 Proposal - inside Target Room.
- Box 1 Proposals to AEC, 1956.
- Box 1 Design Study Support Proposal.
- Box 1 Proposal to AEC 1954.
- Box 1 AEC proposal revisions.
- Box 1 MIT Harvard proposal, draft, 1957.
- Box 1 AEC. Negotiations Com.
- Box 1 Contracts - drafts.
- Box 1 Warren Donnelly - correspondence.
- Box 2 Donnelly - Chrono.. (1956-1958).
- Box 2 Mildred Widgoff's correspondence.
- Box 2 Miscellaneous correspondence, A-M.
- Box 2 Correspondence by scientific staff - Ken Robinson.
- Box 3 Correspondence by scientific staff - Others.
- Box 3 Correspondence by scientific staff - Robie.
- Box 3 Miscellaneous correspondence, N-Z.
- Box 3 CEA Constr. And Org. Committees. 1956-1958.
- Box 3 Committee assignments.
- Box 3 CEA Building Committee.
- Box 3 A/E Negotiation Board.
- Box 3 AE Selection Committee.
- Box 3 Vacuum Meeting. 1958, (also other misc. meetings.)
- Box 3 Design Staff Meeting.
- Box 3 Staff Coor. Meeting.
- Box 3 CEA internal organization.
- Box 3 Office equipment and supplies.
- Box 3 Planning Conference, 1957.
- Box 3 Stockroom catalogue.
- Box 3 Mailing - Distribution list.
- Box 3 Casual employees, Misc. 1957-1959.
- Box 3 Research Apparatus Committee.
- Box 3 Memos - Facil. Com.
- Box 4 CAP Proposal. Final drafts. 1955.
- Box 4 CAP Design Group. 1956.
- Box 4 CAP equipment list. 1956.
- Box 4 CAP. Joint Committee MIT Harvard, 1955.
- Box 4 CAP. Report distribution list. 1953-1955.
- Box 4 Design Study Group 7987 (organization listing).
- Box 4 Distribution list for Bulletin (7087)., 1953.
- Box 4 MIT. Div. Of Industrial Cooperation. 1956.
- Box 4 DIC 7087 - Budget for 1954.
- Box 4 DIC. Richard Q. Twiss. 1952-1953.
- Box 4 Personnel - Harvard. MIT (Inactive). 1952-1954.
- Box 4 Visiting Committee. Physics Depts. - Harvard, MIT.
- Box 4 (C.T. Main). Substructure, Lab. Building. 1956-1957.
- Box 4 C.T. Main. Laboratory - Control building, 1957-1958.
- Box 4 Laboratory Building. Tredennick-Billings, 1957-1959.
- Box 4 Const. Contract 1. White Sons (sewer), 1956.
- Box 4 Sewer and water lines.
- Box 4 (Laboratory Building. Drawings.)
- Box 5 (Old Material) Minutes of meetings, 1956-1957.
- Box 5 (Old Material) (Obsolete: Memos, contracts), 1956.
- Box 5 (Old Material) Annual report, 1958-1959.
- Box 5 (Old Material) REC's budget, 1957-1958.
- Box 5 (Old Material) Budgets, 1956-1958.
- Box 5 (Old Material) Review - year 1957.
- Box 5 (Old Material) Accelerator.
- Box 5 Ad Hoc Committee meeting, 1970.
- Box 5 AEC Fund Reduction. 1970.
- Box 5 K.S. day-to-day Crisis work; Talk to staff, 1970.
- Box 5 "Crisis" 1970 (add'l or extra material)
- UAV 257.26 Construction project files, 1955-1965 (inclusive), 1956-1960 (bulk). (8 boxes)
Scope and Content: Correspondence with C.T. Main Co., etc., building documents and specifications, blueprints,
proposals, bids, and budget reports
- Box 1 Contract 1909: Proposal to AEC.
- Box 1 Month's working procedure.
- Box 1 (Terminated) 1909 Report instructions.
- Box 1 Summary of sub-departmental ledger contract at (30-1)-1909. June 1961-.
- Box 1 Sub project proposals.
- Box 1 (Construction budget, 1959.)
- Box 1 (Misc. Items relating to budget.)
- Box 1 AEC Data Processing: "Requirements for a Data Analysis Computer at CEA," 1964.
- Box 2 Proposal to AEC, 1956.
- Box 2 CEA Construction; Planting - Bldg.; Building Plans, Site plans.
- Box 2 2092-7. Cabling system. Correspondence, 1959.
- Box 2 C.T. Main. Shield Blocks, (1956-1959), 2092-6.
- Box 2 CTM, 2092-5, Expansion, 1958-1959.
- Box 2 Radiation shielding Wall - LEL, 1959.
- Box 2 Cost estimates for expansion, 1957-1958.
- Box 2 Mohr Report - Foundations, 1958.
- Box 2 Bids - expansion, 1959.
- Box 2 Lab. Bldg. Expansion - structures, expansion.
- Box 2 Structural steel Exp. Bldg. Ext., 1959.
- Box 2 A/E costs, C.T. Main, 1957-1958.
- Box 2 Accelertaor struct and services, 1957-1959.
- Box 3 Accel. Structures Allen Constr. Co., 1957-1959.
- Box 3 Experimental Room Ramsey Room.
- Box 3 Chas. T. Main Subcontractor no. 1, 1959-1961.
- Box 3 C.T. Main - copies of correspondence, 1956-1960.
- Box 3 S.&A. Allen Constr., 1958-1959.
- Box 3 C.T. Main (includes contract).
- Boxes 4-8 Drawings (blueprints)
- UAV 257.35 Experiments and experimenters, 1961-1971 (11 boxes)
Scope and Content: Includes correspondence,
memos, lists of experiments, proposals, publications and sample contract agreements
experimenters, and status reports.
- Box 1 Exchange of experimental program information (correspondence).
- Box 1 Experiments. Listing, 1966
- Box 1 Experiments - General correspondence
- Box 1 Status reports. Experimental proposal, 1964-1971
- Box 1 CEA Experiments - General, 1965-1970
- Box 1 Experiments - general. 1959-1964
- Box 2 Francis M. Pipkin (nos. 102, 121), 1963-1970
- Box 3 Richard Wilson (no. 105)
- Box 3 M. Tannenbaus-J. Russell (no. 197)
- Box 4 Martin Deutsch (no. MIT 111)
- Box 4 D. Osborne-L.S. Luckey (no. MIT 109)
- Box 5 Harvard 101. Engels, 1965-1968
- Box 5 Harvard 103. Brenner-Walker, 1965-1970
- Box 5 Harvard 104. Walker, 1967-1968
- Box 5 MIT 108. Alvarez, 1965-1967
- Box 5 MIT 112. Frisch, 1967-1969
- Box 5 MIT 113. Friedman-Kendall, 1965-1969
- Box 5 Tufts 115. Milburn, 1963-1969
- Box 6 Yale 116. Hughes, 1964-1969
- Box 6 Northwestern 118. Weinstein, 1963-1969
- Box 6 Oak Ridge 119. Fullmer-Dell (CEA)
- Box 6 Brookhaven 120. Yuan
- Box 6 CEA Tagged photon beam facility, 1967
- Box 6 CEA. Accelerator development program
- Box 6 CEA. Polarized electron source (Krisciokaitis, 1967-70)
- Box 6 Experimental Groups Completed:
- Box 6 Shower development, M. Fotino et. al.
- Box 6 Periph. Pion Prod., Caldwell et. al.
- Box 6 MIT 110. Garelick (Quarks).
- Box 6 Experimental Groups - Not approved:
- Box 6 New Bubble Chamber.
- Box 7 Roos proposal, Vanderbilt Univ., for Emulsion Exposure.
- Box 7 Instituto di Fisica, Univ. di Pisa, Bellettini Prop.
- Box 7 Max Planck Inst., Bubble Chamber.
- Box 7 "Physics" results abstracts. CEA exper. groups.
- Box 7 Subcommittees on Exper. Applications.
- Box 7 Experimenters list. Tel. nos.
- Box 7 List of publications by experimenters.
- Box 7 Exchange of experimental program informtion.
- Box 8 Contract AT (30-1)-2076) (Agreement re. patent and copyright rights.)
- Box 8 Exper. agreements (short-terms).
- Box 8 Cyclotron. Signed agreements (sample).
- Box 8 Signed agreements, 1956 (sample).
- Box 9 Experimental Proposals, 1965.
- Box 10 Experiments, 1967, vol.s I and II.
- Box 11 Experiments, 1967, vol. III.
- Box 11 MIT-Tufts. 114. Deutch-Milburn, 1967-70.
- Box 11 SMTI. 117. Bar-Yam. 1965-1971.
- Box 11 Authorizations for release of proposals.
- Box 11 CEA Experimenters list and telephone nos
- UAV 257.38 Records of design study for an electron-positron storage ring, 1956-1968 (inclusive),
1963-1965 (bulk). (2 boxes)
Scope and Content: Includes proposals, reports, correspondence, memos, and blueprints.
- UAV 257.41 Synchrotron Radiation and other experiments, 1957-1973 (2 boxes)
Scope and Content: Includes
correspondence, lists, reports, notes, memos, and research proposals
- UAV 257.44 Safety Organization and Radiation, 1956-1974 (3 boxes)
Scope and Content: Includes memos, regulation
manuals, agendas, minutes, correspondence, memos and bulletins from Safety Office,
appraisal report. Also radiation records including memos, correspondence, radiation,
safety reports, and
- UAV 257.47 Correspondence of M. Stanley Livingston, 1956-1965 (2 boxes)
- Series: UAV 257.75 Records of Senior Research Associate, R. Little, 1965-1973 (6 boxes)
Scope and Content: Records
regarding Bypass On Line Detector (B.O.L.D.) including experimental data, memos (typed
copies), notes, copies of drawings (blueprints), reports, data, correspondence, minutes
from W. Shurcliff,
- Series: UAV 257.95.1 Miscellaneous records, 1954-1988 (inclusive), 1954-1974 (bulk). (0.7 cubic foot in 2
Scope and Content: Consists of a variety of records about the Cambridge Electron Accelerator, such as
agreement between Harvard and MIT to sponsor the project, records relating CEA collaboration
accelerators, and a list of CEA publications. There are also photographs of the International
Conference held in Cambridge in 1967.
Acquisition Information: Accession number 12645.
- Box 1 Some "Firsts" in CEA History: 1957, 1962, 1972.
- Box 1 Telegrams and congratulatory notes for Dedication, 1962.
- Box 1 Red and white descriptive booklet - many cc.
- Box 1 CEA (Directors Livington, then Strauch) and DESY (Director Jentschke) Collaboration
- Box 1 CEA negatives - mostly of 1967 Conference, also Dr. Livington's leaving CEA (board).
- Box 1 Sample of CEPAC Meeting report 1970 (University of Sussex Survey 1980/1981).
- Box 1 CEA Committees - membership - listing 1965-1972.
- Box 1 List of exp'l proposals - 1/65.
- Box 1 (CEA account close-out 1976 - copy).
- Box 1 First major budget reduction - 1970.
- Box 1 Monthly "lists of work" by Division Heads - sample 1972.
- Box 1 Robinson memo on ext'l Storage Rings.
- Box 1 "10 Commandments for Technicians".
- Box 1 Gen. Status of Experiments at CEA - 1966.
- Box 1 Listing of Director's Office files - 1967.
- Box 1 Report on HEP by HEPAP (Weisskopf 1969).
- Box 1 Some reports of CEA Visiting Board (1969, 70, 1972) (in relation to "uncertain future").
- Box 1 Memorandum of Agreement 1956.
- Box 1 CEA reorganization (by K.S.-draft) 1967.
- Box 1 CEA/User relations, some corresp. 1963.
- Box 1 Early contract negotiation w/NSF 1954.
- Box 2 Lists of CEA publications, theses.
- Box 2 Notebook with all CEA in-house publications listings (CAP, TM, CEAL, CEA-DA).
- Box 2 Correspondence requesting reports/publications.
- Box 2 List of publications by CEA Experimenters.
- Box 2 Book of photographs of Int'l Accel. Conf. 1967.
- Box 2 Completion Report by Livingston, 1962.
- Box 2 Copy of Harvard/Atomic Energy Contract on CEA 1958.
- Box 2 Appointment calendars 1972-1973
- Series: UAV 257.95.2 Bypass on line detector records and publications, 1965-1974 (1.4 cubic feet in 4
Scope and Content: Consists of correspondence, publications, and photographs of the Bypass On Line
Detector (BOLD) research project. Contains proposals for further research, papers
of completed research,
and various research notes and diagrams, including those of Robert Little. The photographs
are of the
equipment used in the experiments and of the experiments themselves.
- Box 1 Start of Bypass operation
- Box 1 Bypass-Administrative
- Box 1 Colliding Beam Bypass 1965-1969 [2 folders]
- Box 1 Colliding Beam Bypass 1970-
- Box 1 Bypass -Conference papers (preprints) 1966-1973
- Box 1 Bypass photos -originals, enlarged
- Box 2 Bypass photos vol. 1
- Box 2 Bypass photos vol. 2
- Box 2 Bypass On-line Det. Little '66-'70 [2 folders]
- Box 2 Misc. "Bypass" info. -1971 (inc's popularized acc't of Bypass by Gus Voss, drawings
- Box 2 Thesis - Giora Tarbopolsky 1973 (on BOLD exper.)
- Box 3 BOLD publications II
- Box 3 BOLD publications III
- Box 3 BOLD II: Karl Strauch notebook
- Box 3 Spear (O'Neill) prop. #8
- Box 3 Spear/BOLD prop. #9
- Box 4 BOLD 1973 [2 folders]
- Series: UAV 257.95.3 Closing of the CEA, 1971-1988 (inclusive), 1971-1974 (bulk). (0.6 cubic foot in 2
Historical Note: Karl Strauch was director during this time.
Scope and Content: Consists of correspondence relating to the closing of the Cambridge Electron Accelerator
and the loaning of CEA equipment to other institutions between 1971 and 1973. Also
correspondence on Harvard's attempt to relocate CEA personnel, some correspondence
after 1974 relating
to whether joint Harvard-MIT projects were successful, and requests for information
about the CEA.
- Box 1 CEA 1974 Closing and post-closing material
- Box 1 CEA/Harvard U - discussions on property disp. 1873-74
- Box 1 Official termaination correspondence 1973
- Box 1 Discussions of "Future" - 1973
- Box 1 Personnel - corresp. Re Closing, 1872-1974
- Box 1 Letter to staff - some not sent, some drafts, 72-73
- Box 1 Letter to all CEA Members - 1973
- Box 1 Crisis letter and work papers - binders 1/73, and press release
- Box 1 Personnel placement 1973
- Box 2 LOANS 1971 - corresp. re loans of CEA equipment
- Box 2 LOANS 1972 - corresp. re loans of CEA equipment
- Box 2 LOANS 1973 - corresp. re loans of CEA equipment [2 folders]
- Series: UAV 257.295.1 Individual scientists' files, ca. 1954-1974 (2 cubic feet in 6 containers)
Access Restrictions: These files are restricted for 80 years.
Scope and Content: There files contain correspondence concerning research projects, family life, and
immigration issues, as well as resumes and documents relating to appointments. Files
that do not relate to a specific individual contain general personnel listings and
human resources procedural documents.
Arrangement: Arranged alphabetically by last name of person.
- Box 2 Gonzalez-Martin, G.R.
- Box 3 Krisciokaitis, R.J.
- Box 6 CEA Personnel listings 1962, 66, 67, 69, 70.
- Box 6 Experimental Personal listngs 1966, 67, 68, 72.
- Box 6 Records of CEA appointments by year 1961-64 (some lists).
- Box 6 Some appointment procedures 1961-1968
- Series: UAV 257.295.2 p and p/pf Photographs, ca. 1955-1974 (1.4 cubic feet in containers and 1 portfolio)
Processing Information: Photographs were removed from photograph albums. The photographs are assigned a
item number, but no index to the photographs has been found.
Scope and Content: Consists of black-and-white and color photographs and three 14"x11" color prints
of ring magnets
and the CEA building. The photographs were originally mounted in albums.
- Box 1 Buildings: Models and Construction
- Box 1 Buildings: Site and Construction (2 folders)
- Box 1 Buildings and Grounds: Completed
- Box 2 Ring Magnet Construction
- Box 2 Electrical Power Installation
- Box 2 Ring Magnet Assembly
- Box 3 Colliding Beam Facility
- Box 4 Experimental Equipment (2 folders)
- Box 4 Experimental Set-up and Results (2 folders)
- Portfolio CEA Ring Magnets and building (color prints)