OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
|http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.ARCH:hua10017View HOLLIS Record
Questions or Comments Copyright Statement
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: HUG 4877.XX
Repository: Harvard University Archives
Creator: Whitehead, Alfred North, 1861-1947.
Title: Papers of Alfred North Whitehead
Quantity: .2 cubic feet (2 folders, 1 volume)
Language of materials: English
- A number of collections relating to Whitehead, including student notes, are located in Houghton Library, Harvard University.
- "Notes from Lectures of A. N. W. at Harvard compiled by students" forms part of the Philosophy and Social Science Manuscripts Collection. MS 644, Manuscripts and Archives, Yale University Library
- Whitehead's letters to Bertrand Russell form part of the Bertrand Russell fonds RC0096, William Ready Division of Archives and Research Collections, McMaster University Libraries
- Victor Lowe Papers. Ms. 284, Special Collections, Milton S. Eisenhower Library, The Johns Hopkins University
- Correspondence with the University of Edinburgh about the Gifford lectures is in the University records and in the papers of Norman Kemp Smith, Centre for Research Collections, University of Edinburgh
- Letters to R. B. Haldane. MS.5901-17, Manuscript Collections, National Library of Scotland,
- Hocking, William Ernest. Whitehead as I knew him. HUG 4877.38, Harvard University Archives
- Holmes, Henry Wyman. The educational views of Alfred North Whitehead. HUG 4877.39, Harvard University Archives
- Lowe, Victor. Whitehead's Gifford lectures. HUG 4877.52, Harvard University Archives
- Lowe, Victor, compiler. Bibliography of the writings of Alfred North Whitehead to November, 1941. HUG 4877.51, Harvard University Archives
- Presentation of the badge ... of the order of merit to Alfred North Whitehead, June 6, 1945 [pamphlet]. HUG 4877.75, Harvard University Archives
- Spencer, Theodore. Portrait ... Alfred North Whitehead. HUG 4877.81, Harvard University Archives
Alfred North Whitehead (1861–1947) was a British mathematician, logician and philosopher known for his work on mathematical logic, the philosophy of science, and process philosophy. In collaboration with Bertrand Russell, he co-authored the landmark three-volume Principia Mathematica. Whitehead received an honorary degree from Harvard in 1926 and taught philosophy at Harvard from 1924 to 1937.
This collection consists of a Student record book for Harvard and Radcliffe classes, 1924-1937, letters to La Drière about honors for Whitehead, and articles about Whitehead.