[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.ARCH:hua10012View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
HUY 89

Photographs of the Harvard Hall renovations, circa 1968-1970: an inventory

Harvard University Archives

[link]


Harvard University

© President and Fellows of Harvard College

Descriptive Summary

Call No.: HUY 89
Repository: Harvard University Archives
Title: Photographs of the Harvard Hall renovations, circa 1968-1970
Date(s): 1968-1970
Quantity: 0.14 cubic feet (1 flat box)
Abstract: Harvard Hall, the fifth oldest structure in the Harvard Yard and the seventh oldest at the University, was built in 1766 to replace Old Harvard Hall, which burned on January 25, 1764. Harvard Hall underwent significant interior renovations between 1968 and 1969 to make it compliant with new fire safety requirements. The collection consists of 92 black and white 8 x 10 in. photographs (with the exception of one 5 ¼ x 10 in. photograph) of the interior and exterior of Harvard Hall before, during, and after its renovation, circa 1968-1970

Acquisition information:

18517: Arrowstreet, Inc., March 16, 2012.

Processing Information:

Juliana Kuipers processed this collection in August 2012. Processing entailed a collection survey, rehousing items in appropriate archival containers, and the creation of this finding aid.

Researcher Access:

The Photographs of the Harvard Hall renovations, circa 1968-1970 are open for research use.

Preferred Citation:

Photographs of the Harvard Hall renovations, circa 1968-1970. HUY 89, Harvard University Archives.

Related Materials in the Harvard University Archives

Historical note

Harvard Hall, the fifth oldest structure in the Harvard Yard and the seventh oldest at the University, was built in 1766; it replaced Old Harvard Hall, which burned on January 25, 1764. The hall gave the College space for a new library, a new chapel, and the first rooms built primarily for lectures. Harvard Hall contained the dining room and quarters for students and tutors and it remained the College hall for most of the nineteenth century. Harvard Hall underwent significant interior renovations between 1967 and 1971, overseen by the architecture firm Ashley, Myer & Smith (now Arrowstreet, Inc.), to make it compliant with new fire safety requirements. As of 2000, Harvard Hall serves as a modern classroom facility with several large lecture halls; it no longer houses the dining room nor serves as a dormitory.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged in five series:

Scope of the Photographs of the Harvard Hall renovations

The collection consists of 92 black and white 8 x 10 in. photographs (with the exception of one 5 ¼ x 10 in. photograph) of the interior and exterior of Harvard Hall beofre, during, and after its renovation, circa 1968-1970. The photographs, collected by the architecture firm Ashley, Myer & Smith (now Arrowstreet, Inc.) which oversaw the renovations, were created by George Zimberg, Lois M. Bowen, Hutchins Photography, Inc, and Fay Foto Service. Most of the photographs have a control number assigned by the photographer.

General

This document last updated 2014 February 24.

Container List


hua10012