OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
|http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.ARCH:hua08014View HOLLIS Record
Questions or Comments Copyright Statement
On July 16, 2018, OASIS will retire. It will be replaced by HOLLIS for Archival Discovery. Please explore.
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: HUG 1225 and HUG 1226
Repository: Harvard University Archives
Creator: Bond family.
Title: William Cranch Bond family collection, 1845-1872 and undated
Date(s): 1845-1872 and undated
Quantity: 0.5 cubic feet
Language of materials: English
Abstract: This collection holds papers relating to the work and life of the William Cranch Bond family of Massachusetts, including several family chronicles written by Elizabeth L. Bond. William Cranch Bond (1789-1859), son of a clockmaker, was the proprietor of Willliam Bond & Son, makers of scientific instruments, particularly chronometers. Both William Cranch Bond and his son George Phillips Bond were directors of the Harvard College Observatory and held the title Phillips Professor of Astronomy.
Related archival and artifactual resources
- Records of the Harvard College Observatory in the Harvard University Archives
- Records of William Bond & Son and The Bond Family in the Harvard University Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments
- William Cranch Bond correspondence, 1840-1852 (21 letters) in the Houghton Library, Harvard University. http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:FHCL.Hough:hou02402
- Bond, William Cranch, 1789-1859. Observations of solar spots, 1847-1849.
- Holden, Edward S. Memorials of W. C. Bond and of His Son G. P. Bond.
- Jones, Bessie Zaban. Diary of the two Bonds, 1846-1849 : first directors of the Harvard College Observatory. Published in three parts in the Harvard Library Bulletin (Harvard Library Bulletin, Volume XV, Number 4, October 1967, pp. 368-386 http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:FHCL:423896; Harvard Library Bulletin, Volume XVI, Number 1, January 1968, pp. 49-71 http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:FHCL:423938; Harvard Library Bulletin, Volume XVI, Number 2, April 1968, pp. 178-207 http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:FHCL:423955)
- Harvard University Collection of Scientific Instruments. An inventory of documents relating to William Bond and Son and the Bond Family.
- Other books by our about William Cranch Bond, the Bond family, and the Harvard College Observatory may be found by searching the HOLLIS catalog: http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:hul.eresource:holliswb
William Cranch Bond (1789-1859), son of a clockmaker, was the proprietor of Willliam Bond & Son, makers of scientific instruments, particularly chronometers. Both William Cranch Bond and his son George Phillips Bond (1925-1865) were directors of the Harvard College Observatory and held the title Phillips Professor of Astronomy.William Cranch Bond was the first Director of the Harvard College Observatory (1845-1859) and his son was its second (1859-1865).
This collection holds papers relating to the work and life of the William Cranch Bond family of Massachusetts. It includes several later family chronicles written by Elizabeth L. Bond.
This document last updated 2014 March 4.