[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.ARCH:hua05008View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
HUD 3120

Adelphoi Theologia (Harvard University). Records of Adelphoi Theologia and The Society for Religious Improvement : an inventory

Harvard University Archives

[link]


Harvard University

© President and Fellows of Harvard College

Descriptive Summary

Call No.: HUD 3120
Repository: Harvard University Archives
Creator: Adelphoi Theologia (Harvard University)
Title: Records of Adelphoi Theologia and The Society for Religious Improvement, 1785-1847
Date(s): 1785-1847
Quantity: 0.5 cubic feet (9 containers)
Abstract: Adelphoi Theologia was founded on November 10, 1785 by six members of the Harvard College Class of 1786. As of November 4, 1835, the group changed its name to The Society for Religious Improvement. The records document the history and activities of this religious society.

Processing Information:

The Records of Adelphoi Theologia and Society of Religious Improvement were first classified and described in the Harvard University Archives shelflist prior to 1980. In November 2007, Juliana Kuipers re-processed the material. Re-processing involved integrating and reorganizing the collection, re-housing materials in the appropriate containers, establishing a series hierarchy, and creating this inventory.
All of the call numbers were simplified.

Conditions on Use and Access:

The Records of Adelphoi Theologia and The Society for Religious Improvement are open for research.

Online access:

All of the records have been digitized and are available online. Links accompany detailed descriptions.

Related Material in the Harvard University Archives

History of Adelphoi Theologia and The Society for Religious Improvement

Adelphoi Theologia, which also identified itself in Greek as ΑΔΕΛΦΟΙ ΘΕΟΛΟΓΙΑ, was founded as a secret society on November 10, 1785 by six members of the Harvard College Class of 1786. The society met weekly on Sunday evenings for religious activities and discussion of a religious question. As of November 4, 1835, the group changed its name to The Society for Religious Improvement, and began publicizing its meetings. The last members were from the Class of 1847, and the last official meeting was held on June 23, 1847.

Scope of the Collection

The Records of Adelphoi Theologia and The Society for Religious Improvement document the history and activities of this religious society. Journals (minutes) kept by the society document weekly meetings and form the largest part of this collection. Other materials include catalogs of the society's library, constitutions, laws, and lists of members, and two letters.

Inventory update

This document last updated 2016 November 3.

Container List


hua05008