MS Thr 381
Graff, Robert D., 1919-. Robert D. Graff papers on the production of Young Cassidy,
1960-1976 (MS Thr 381): Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository, ppf
Call No.: MS Thr 381
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Robert D. Graff papers on the production of Young Cassidy
Quantity: 6 linear feet (10 boxes and 9 folders)
Language of materials: Collection material is in English
Abstract: Papers on the prduction of the 1965 film Young Cassidy
Gift of Mr. & Mrs. Robert D.Graff, 1985 October 10.
91-92.79.01-05. Gift of Robert D. Graff, 1992 August 6.
Processed by Irina Klyagin, 2018.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
A portion of this collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. Retrieval
requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton Public Services staff
to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies and times.
Robert D. Graff Papers on the Production of Yong Cassidy, 1960-1976 (1960-1976). Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
A small portion of the papers was cataloged separately as Robert D. Graff Collection
on Young Cassidy, 1964 (MS Thr 575)
Young Cassidy was the 1965 film version adaptation of Sean O'Casey's autobiography,
Mirror in my house. The story was a biographical drama based upon the life of Irish
playwright Sean O'Casey. Robert Graff was the producer of the film, and it was directed
by Jack Cardiff, and starred Rod Taylor, Maggie Smith, Julie Christie, Michael Redgrave,
and others. The movie originally was directed by John Ford, but when he fell ill,
he was replaced by Cardiff. John Whiting wrote the screenplay.
Arranged by the donor into four series:
II. Publicity material
IV. Designs and sketches
Collection includes correspondence of Robert D. Graff and his co-producer Robert Emmett
Ginna with Sean O'Casey and his wife, with directors, actors, agents, movie studios,
and other institutions and organizations; several versions of script; publicity material,
including clippings and photographs; and costume and set designs and sketches by Margaret
Furse, Michael Stringer, Brian Bourke, and Liam Martin.
- Series: III. Publicity material
- Rod Taylor as John Cassidy : photographs Box 8, Folder 1
Date: circa 1965
- Magazines 2 folders Box 8, Folder 2-3
Scope and Contents: Includes issues of Weekend Telegraph, Cosmopolitan, Harper's Bazaar, Creation, and
- Series: IV. Designs and sketches
- Martin, Liam, C.,1934-. Sketches of the filming of Young Cassidy9 folders 84 drawings in ink and marker, many signed, drawings on recto and verso. Box 10, Folder 25-33
Date: 1964 August
- Stringer, Michael, 1924-2004. Set designs 12 folders 12 drawings in pencil and watercolor, unsignedb, ppf drawer Box 10, Folder 34-43, Folder 44, Folder 45
- Stringer, Michael, 1924-2004. Set design for the interior of the Cassidy House 1 drawing in watercolor and ink, signed Box 10, Folder 46
- Stringer, Michael, 1924-2004. Set design for the abbey Theatre foyer 1 drawing in watercolor and ink, signed Box 10, Folder 47
- Stringer, Michael, 1924-2004. Set design and ground plan for Abbey Theatre street
1 drawing in ink and watercolor, signed Box 10, Folder 48
- Stringer, Michael, 1924-2004. Set design for street scene 1 drawing in watercolor and ink, signedppf drawer Folder 49
- Stringer, Michael, 1924-2004. Blue print and elevation for mobile foreground piece
1 drawing mimeographppf drawer Folder 50
- Stringer, Michael, 1924-2004. Sketch for policemen, rioter, prop details and pamphlet
1 drawing in ink watercolor and marker, signed with initialsppf drawer Folder 51
- Stringer, Michael, 1924-2004. Sketches for various exterior scenes in Mount Pleasant
Area 1 drawing in watercolor wash and ink, signedppf drawer Folder 52
- Stringer, Michael, 1924-2004. Set design for the interior of the Cale house library
1 drawing in watercolor, ink and pencil, signedppf drawer Folder 53
- Stringer, Michael, 1924-2004. Sketch and elevation for scene 64 and 96 1 drawing in watercolor and ink, unsignedppf drawer Folder 54
- Stringer, Michael, 1924-2004. Sketches and elevations for scenes 70, 71, and 72 1 drawing in watercolor, ink and pencilppf drawer Folder 55
- Stringer, Michael, 1924-2004. Sketches for camera shots 5 folders 50 drawings in marker and crayon on tracing paper, scenes numbered Box 10, Folder 56-60