MS Am 3156
Browne, Francis C. Francis C. Browne journals and ephemera, 1840-1895 (MS Am 3156):
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 3156
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Francis C. Browne journals and ephemera
Quantity: .35 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: In English.
Abstract: Personal and professional field journals of Francis C. Browne.
2018M-064. Purchased from Dennis Holzman Antiques in 2017 November.
Purchased from Dennis Holzman Antiques, 2017.
Processed by Magdaline Lawhorn, 2017.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Francis C. Browne Journals and Ephemera, 1840-1895 (MS Am 3156). Houghton Library,
Francis C. Browne (1830-1900) was the nephew of Ralph Waldo Emerson; he attended Harvard
University and participated in several research expeditions.
Collection is minimally processed. Materials are loosely arranged in six series: Correspondence
and Notes, Field Journals, Maps of Florida, Newspaper Clippings, Personal Journals,
and Photograph of R.W. Emerson.
11 journals describing interactions between Francis C. Browne and his uncle Ralph
Waldo Emerson, and Emerson's contemporaries. The journals also include passages about
Browne's personal life, his studies at Harvard, and his natural history expeditions
to Labrador and Florida studying birds and flora.
- Series: Correspondence and note Box 01
- Letter to Emma C. Goodwin care of R.W. Emerson Box 01
- Letter to Francis C. Browne care of R.W. Emerson Box 01
- Letter to Francis C. Browne from various recipients Box 01
- Letter from G.W. Ferguson Box 01
- Series: Field journals Box 01
- Florida I Box 01
- Florida II Box 01
- Labrador I Box 01
- Labrador II Box 01
- Labrador III Box 01
- Plum Island Box 01
- Series: Maps of Florida Box 01
- Series: Newspaper clippings Box 01
Date: circa 1895
- Series: Personal journals Box 01
- Concord Box 01
- Concord - Clark's Island Box 01
- Journal and commonplace book II Box 01
- Journal and commonplace book III Box 01
- Series: Photograph of R.W. Emerson Box 01