MS Eng 1811
Richards, I. A. (Ivor Armstrong), 1893-1979. I. A. Richards papers, circa 1930s-1970s
(MS Eng 1811): Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Eng 1811
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Richards, I. A. (Ivor Armstrong), 1893-1979
Title: I. A. Richards papers
Date(s): circa 1930s-1970s
Quantity: 5.5 linear feet (6 boxes)
Language of materials: Materials are in English.
Abstract: The collection consists of I. A. Richards papers, primarily concerning teaching Basic
English and his work in China.
84M-50. Unknown source, 1984.
Houghton Manuscript Section, 2017
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance
notice. Readers should check with Houghton Public Services staff to determine what
material is offsite and retrieval policies and times.
Collection is closed until end-processing is finished.
I. A. Richards Papers, circa 1930s-1970s (MS Eng 1811). Houghton Library, Harvard
For related collections at Harvard University, see:
I. A. Richards was an English educator, literary critic, and rhetorician whose work
contributed to the foundations of the New Criticism, a formalist movement in literary
theory. Richards was an associate of C.K. Ogden who created Basic English, a controlled
language used for teaching English as a second language. Richards promoted its use
Collection is arranged into six series:
- Research and teaching
- Articles about Basic English and I.A. Richards
- Biographical material
Includes typescripts, teaching tools, manuals, and photographs documenting Richards'
use and teaching of Basic English, a method of teaching English as a second language
developed by C. K. Ogden. The collection highlights Richards' time teaching in China.
Also included in the collection are other compositions by Richards including poetry
and longer length works. There is some correspondence regarding book contracts as
well as with Christine Gibson, and a few letters from C. K. Ogden.
Detailed inventories are available in the curatorial file.
- Series: Research and teaching materials
- English through Pictures 1 folders Box 1, Folder 1
- English through Pictures: Books 1 and 2 1 folders Box 1, Folder 2
- English through Pictures: Photoalbum of Richards teaching in China 1 folders Box 1, Folder 3
- Work in China 17 folders Box 1
- Method of Teaching English, typescript 1 folders Box 1, Folder 4
- Handbook of the First Book of English, typescript 1 folders Box 1, Folder 5
Date: circa 1937
- Notes for the Handbook (TNFH?) Box 1 Folder 6
- A First Book of English, typescripts 3 folders Box 1, Folder 7-9
Date: circa 1937
- A Teachers' Handbook for those who are teaching A First Book of English for Chinese
Learners, The Orthological Institute of China at Kunming Box 1, Folder 10
- Tentative Report on the Aims and Methods of Secondary School English, no author listed
1 folders Box 1, Folder 11
Date: circa 1937
- Experimental Teaching at the Junior Middle School, Hautes Etudes Tientsin: reports,
minutes 3 folders Box 1, Folder 12-14
- Teaching Points in First Thirty Steps: typescripts, correspondence, and drafts 3 folders Box 1, Folder 15-17
Date: 1939, undated
- Correspondence 1 folder Box 1, Folder 18
- Notes 1 folder Box 1, Folder 19
- Basic English: reports, teaching tools, and typescripts 5 folders Box 1, Folder 20-24
Date: 1938-1945, 1951, undated
- Plays used in teaching
- Homage to Hector 2 folders Box 1 Folder 25-26
- Why So Socrates? 2 folders Box 1 Folder 27-28
- Julius Caeser 1 folders Box 1 Folder 29
- Wrath of Achilles 6 folders Box 2 Folder 1-6
- Socrates Defense 1 folders Box 2, Folder 7
- Harvard University: Lowell Lectures 1 folders Box 2 Folder 8
- Harvard University: Courses, English 85a and others, assignments and student papers
2 folders Box 2, Folder 9-10
Date: 1944, 1947
- Harvard University: English Department, ad hoc committee 1 folders Box 2, Folder 11
- Lectures 1 folders Box 2 Folder 12
- Language Research, Inc. 3 folders Box 2 Folder 13-15
- Series: Compositions
- Articles by 6 folders Box 3, Folder 1-6
Date: circa 1940s-1970s
Scope and Contents: Consists primarily of print and reprint publications of Richards' writings on criticism,
interpretation, reading, and teaching. Publications include: The Atlantic Monthly,
the Nation, The Yale Review, and many others. Also found here are addresses and speeches
made at Bowdoin College, the Institute of Contemporary Arts, the annual meeting of
the Academy of Arts and Sciences, and the University of Alberta. While mostly print
there are some typescript drafts with manuscript annotations as well.
- Basic English 5 folders Box 3, Folder 7-11,
Scope and Contents: Contains a binder of articles by and about I.A. Richards, C.K. Ogden, and Basic English.
The binder plus an additional two folders consist of clippings, drafts, print publications,
speeches, and typescripts all related to Basic English.
- Book reviews 2 folders Box 3, Folder 12-13
- Poems, print publications 1 folders Box 3, Folder 14
- Manuscript and lecture notes 3 folders Box 2 Folder 16-18
- Manuscripts for longer works 34 folders Box 3, Folder 15-26, Box 4 Folder 1-22
- Series: Correspondence
- Christine Gibson 3 folders Box 5, Folder 1-3
Date: circa 1950-1979
- Christine Gibson, C.K. Ogden, and others 1 folders Box 5, Folder 4
Date: circa 1940-1966
- General 3 folders Box 5, Folder 5-7
Date: circa 1960s-1970s
- Book contracts 2 folders Box 5, Folder 8-9
Date: circa 1952-1971
- Brooks Foundation 1 folders Box 5, Folder 10
- Harvard Visual Arts Center 1 folders Box 5, Folder 11
- Harvard 1 folders Box 5, Folder 12
- Speaking engagements 1 folders Box 5, Folder 14
- Series: Articles about Basic English and I.A. Richards
- Articles about I.A. Richards 2 folders Box 4, Folder 23-24
- Articles on Basic English 1 folders Box 4, Folder 25
- Clippings on Basic English 5 folders Box 6 Folder 1-5
- Series: Photographs 3 folders Box 6, Folder 6-8
Date: 1956, 1962, undated
Scope and Contents: Contains photographs of Richards teaching in China as well as what appear to be the
photographs that were used in class. Some photos show Richards demonstrating Handwind
and Language Loop (presumably teaching tools) and one in Harvard Yard with Christine
Gibson and Connor Cruise. A few photos are stamped on the back stating development
was done at US Naval Training Center in Miami, Florida. Some of the photographs contain
men in uniform. There are also portraits on CK Ogden, Richards, and a signed photo
from Frank Keppel.
- Series: Biographical material 7 folders Box 6 Folder 9-15
Scope and Contents: The majority of the material is about Richards' death, including obituaries, memorials,
and tributes. There are several pocket diaries from the late 1940s to the early 1950s
with daily activities, scheduling, and some notes. There is a folder containing documentation
relating to organizations that Richards was a member of.