MS Thr 1613
Norman, Marsha. Marsha Norman papers, circa 1947-2011 (MS Thr 1613): Guide
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: b, pf, Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Thr 1613
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Norman, Marsha
Title: Marsha Norman papers
Quantity: 30 linear feet (34 boxes)
Language of materials: Collection is predominantly in English, with other languages represented in translations
of Norman works.
Abstract: Compositions, correspondence, and other papers of American playwright, screenwriter,
and novelist, Marsha Norman.
2016MT-74. Purchased using the Timothy S. Mayer Fund, the Bayard Livingston and Kate
Gray Kilgour Fund, the Edward Sheldon Book Fund, and the Mary P. and Donald M. Oenslager
Theatre Collection Fund, 2017 April.
Minimally processed by Melanie Wisner, 2017 June.
Collection is open for research.
The bulk of this collection is shelved offsite. Retrieval requires advance notice.
Check with Houghton Public Services staff.
Marsha Norman Papers (MS Thr 1613). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Marsha Norman (born September 21, 1947) is an American playwright, screenwriter, and
novelist. She received the 1983 Pulitzer Prize for Drama for her play 'night, Mother.
She wrote the book and lyrics for various Broadway musicals including The Secret Garden,
for which she won a Tony Award and the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Book of a
Musical, and The Red Shoes, as well as the libretto for the musical The Color Purple,
and the book for the musical The Bridges of Madison County. She is co-chair of the
playwriting department at The Juilliard School.
Researchers should be aware that categories of material in this collection are intermingled;
correspondence may be found with compositions, photographs with correspondence, etc.
- Series: Compositions by Marsha Norman
Scope and Contents: Includes play scripts, screenplays, and stories, some accompanied by related correspondence,
contracts, clippings and reviews, and programs.
- Aimee / Temptation of Sister Aimee 1 box Box 01
- Blue Ridge / Sheriff pilot Box 02
- Change Me Into Zeus's Daughter Box 02
- Children With Emerald Eyes Box 02
- The Fortune Teller Box 03
- Getting Out / Time Out Box 03, Box 04 Box 05
- The Holdup / Goodness and Mercy Box 05
- It's the Willingness Box 05
- Love's Fire: Sonnet #140 Box 06
- Loving Daniel Boone Box 06
- 'night, Mother Box 06, Box 07, Box 08 Box 15
- The Red Shoes Box 09 Box 15
- The Scarlet Letter Box 10
- The Secret Garden Box 10, Box 11 Box 12
- Traveler in the Dark Box 12
- Trumpet of the Swan Box 12 Box 14
- Winter Shakers 1 box Box 13
- Wuthering Heights / Heathcliff Box 14
- Other compositions and files by Marsha Norman Box 14
- "My nose looks good on you!" Box 14
- "The story begins as Sarah and the girls..." [first line] Box 14
- American Greetings work Box 14
- Scholastic, Franklin-Watts: children's stories Box 14
- Lillian Hellman interview Box 14
- "What To Do" / Max Box 14
- "Opening Night, Getting Out" Box 14
- Wynton [Marsalis] interview Box 14
- Miscellaneous manuscript notes by Marsha Norman Box 17
- Series: Diaries, datebooks, address books Box 16
- Series: Contracts and agreements Box 17
- Series: Website material Box 17
- Series: Correspondence 3 boxes Box 18, Box 19 Box 20
- Series: Travel documents
- Ireland, Italy, Australia, UK Box 21
- Series: Household files
- Insurance documents: silver survey, etc. Box 22
- Series: Compositions by others Box 23
- Series: Printed material
- Printed books Box 23 Box 24
- Series: Objects and memorabilia Box 26
Scope and Contents: Includes high school class ring, Marsha Norman playing cards, shirt, pennant from
'night, Mother and other items.
- Series: Scrapbooks
- Photographic scrapbook of Marsha Norman's infancy and childhood Box 27
- Clippings Box 28
- Series: Photographs Box 31 Box 32
- Series: Film and phonograph records
- Film: Knee High to a Sculpture; New York Festival of Women's Films Box 33
- Long-playing record: Early Shaker Spirituals; Rounder Records Box 33
- 45 rpm record: "Somewhere Out There" from film, An American Tail Box 33
- Series: Oversize material: posters, damaged photographs, etc. Box 34