MS Thr 1625
Wilson, Fredric Woodbridge, collector. Fredric Woodbridge Wilson collection of costume
designs for theater, musical comedy, pantomime and opera, 1841-1909: Guide
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Thr 1625
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Wilson, Fredric Woodbridge, collector.
Title: Fredric Woodbridge Wilson collection of costume designs for theater, pantomime, musical
comedy and opera
Quantity: 2 linear feet ( (2 boxes)
Language of materials: Material is in English and French
Abstract: Collection of costume designs for musical theater and opera
2010MT-11. Gift of Thomas Garrett ; received: 2010 October 9.
Forms part of the Fredric Woodbridge Wilson Collection of Theater, Dance and Music.
Processed by Irina Klyagin
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
Fredric Woodbridge Wilson Collection of Costume Designs for Theater, Musical Comedy,
Pantomime and Opera, 1841-1909 (MS Thr 1625). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Arranged alphabetically by the name of designer
Collection includes costume designs for British, American and French theatrical productions
from mid-19th century to early 20th century. Among them costume designs by Robert
L. Bööcke, Archibald Chasemore, Eugene Lacoste, Charles Karl, as well as designs by
unidentified designers, for a variety of productions, including drama Fabio le novice,
opera Aida, set design for operetta The Gondoliers, pantomimes A Christmas Carol,
and Mother Goose, and other productions. Also includes design for sheet music cover
for Franco Leoni's Follia waltz.
- Bourdillat. E. Angelina Legros dans La garde nationale for Théâtre des folies-dramatiques (Paris, France) production 1 folder 1 drawing : watercolor on paper, mounted on album sheet Box 2, Folder 1
- Dien, L. Costume designs for unidentified productions 1 folder 7 drawings : watercolor on paper Box 1, Folder 4
Date: 1890 and undated.
Scope and Contents: Includes costume designs for 5 male and 2 female characters, one design annotated,
Adam; 5 designs signed with initials L.D., two signed, L. Dien.
- Emmet, Edouard ? Set design for Gilbert and Sullivan's The Gondoliers1 folder 1 drawing : gouache on board Box 2, Folder 3
- George, W. 2 designs for sheet music cover for Follia Waltz by Franco Leoni1 folder 2 drawings : watercolor on board Box 2, Folder 4
- Hadon ? Bonne de Carcassoune : costume design 1 folder 1 drawing : gouache on paper Box 1, Folder 5
- No name. Cleopatra : costume design 1 folder 1 drawing : pen and ink on board Box 2, Folder 7
Scope and Contents: Signed, S.H.B. or L.H.B., annotated with costume details on recto, stamp of The New
Theatre, New York on verso.
- No name. Fabio le novice an Théâtre de l'Ambigu-Comique (Paris, France). M. Navarre as Garcia : costume
design 1 folder 1 drawing : watercolor on paper, mounted on album sheet Box 2, Folder 8
- No name. Mother Goose : costume designs 2 folders 13 drawings : gouache and pencil on board Box 2, Folder 9-10
Scope and Contents: Includes 1 design for Mother Goose, 5 designs for Old Dandy, 3 designs for Ravages,
1 design for Picture dealer, and 3 designs for female characters (captions at the
top cut off)
- No name. A Welsh sunset : costume designs 1 folder 4 drawings : watercolor and pencil on paper, with fabric swatches Box 2, Folder 11
Scope and Contents: Includes designs for Mrs. Jones, Jenny Jones, and 2 chorus ladies for the companion
piece to Gilbert and Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore and The Pirates of Penzance at the Savoy Theater.