MS Am 3093
Bayliss, Jonathan. Jonathan Bayliss papers, 1926-2009 (MS Am 3093): Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: b, Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Am 3093
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Bayliss, Jonathan
Title: Jonathan Bayliss papers
Quantity: 48.25 linear feet (44 boxes)
Quantity: 16.153 Gigabytes (3 boxes)
Language of materials: English
Abstract: Personal, professional, and family papers of Gloucester (Mass.) author, Jonathan Bayliss.
2015M-146. Gift of Jonathan Bayliss Trust, 2016.
2018M-030. Gift of Jonathan Bayliss Trust, 2017.
Minimally processed by Melanie Wisner, 2017 March, and Magdaline Lawhorn 2017 September.
Collection was packed up on site by repository staff who maintained original order
as much as possible; hence, the order of subject file "drawers" and computer punchcard
"containers" was retained and is used in this listing.
Collection is open for research.
Special equipment or surrogate required; consult Houghton staff (series Digital and
The bulk of this collection is shelved offsite. Retrieval requires advance notice.
Check with Houghton Public Services staff.
Jonathan Bayliss Papers, 1937-2007 (MS Am 3093). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Jonathan Bayliss (1926-2009) was an American novelist and playwright who lived and
wrote in Gloucester, Massachusetts.
Collection is minimally processed. Materials are loosely arranged in eight series:
Correspondence, Compositions, Subject Files, Notes on Computer Punchcards, Biographical
Material, Digital and Audiovisual Material, Business, and Travel Documents.
Collection includes drafts of Bayliss's tetralogy, Gloucesterman, comprised of Gloucesterbook,
Gloucestertide, Gloucestermas, and Prologos; The Gilgamesh Plays and other compositions;
correspondence, diaries, family papers, and financial records; travel documents; and
records from Gorton's of Gloucester and Kellogg Associates where Bayliss served in
management roles and promoted the use of computers in business management.
Includes audiovisual and/or digital media: CDs, floppy disk, audiocassette, Zip disk.
For more detail on contents, see lists in curatorial file.
- Series: Correspondence
- Family correspondence Box 1
- General correspondence, A-Dakyns Box 1
- General correspondence, Davenport-Kaplan Box 2
- General correspondence, Kehler-Z Box 3
- Additional correspondence, Altobelli - Shannon (including Charles Olson) 1 box Box 36
- Publication and financial correspondence Box 24
- Gloucesterbook correspondence Box 34
- Prologos correspondence and notes Box 34
- Gilgamesh plays correspondence Box 34
- Torsten Kehler correspondence Box 35
- H. H. Balos (father of Jonathan Bayliss) Box 39
- Catherine Bayliss (daughter) Box 39
- Doris Sturtevant Bayliss (wife, ex-wife) Box 39
- Geoffrey Bayliss (son) Box 39
- Peter Bayliss Box 39
- Sandra Bayliss Bowditch (sister) and family Box 39
- Victoria Bayliss Mattingly (daughter) Box 39
- Isabel Henderson (grandmother, mother of Lois Henderson Bayliss) Box 39
- Joseph Mattingly (husband of Victoria Bayliss Mattinlgy) and family Box 39
- Laura Henderson Partridge Box 39
- Dorothy Henderson Whiting (sister of Lois Henderson Bayliss) and family Box 39
- Lois Henderson Bayliss Box 40
- Series: Compositions
- Gloucestertide; with two volumes printed material (Gloucestertide, Gloucesterbook)
- Gloucestertide 1 binder Box 8
- Gloucestertide notes Box 34
- Gloucesterbook 2 folders Box 7
- Gloucestermas I : typescripts with manuscript annotations Box 34
- Gloucestermas II: typescripts with manuscript annotations Box 34
- "DOG" box [unclear what this refers to; subject files? Dogtown? Death of Gilgamesh?]
- Prologos typescripts Box 14
- Miscellaneous compositions in notebooks Box 15
- Political writing (national and state) Box 34
- Series: Subject files
- Oversize subject file Box 12
- Reference documents in binder (placenames and other vocabulary) Box 33
- Drawer 1: possible personae - architecture: theory, history Box 16
- Drawer 2: Keith - Montvert Box 17
- Drawers 2 and 3: New Uruk, Ur, Netherland - Schooners and sailing ships Box 18
- Drawer 3: steam, water, ice - stock brokerage Box 19
- Drawer 4: maps - Lowell and Merrimack Valley Box 20
- Drawers 4 and 5: Fitchburg and mid-Mass - women (biographical) Box 21
- Drawer 5: art theory and aesthetics - WWI origins and aftermath Box 22
- Drawer 6: banks and banking - schooler [sic, schooner?] early ships Box 23
- Series: Biographical material
- Pocket diaries Box 34
- Pocket diaries Box 15
- Juvenilia: drawings Box 15
- Miscellaneous financial Box 15
- Education: transcripts Box 15
- Navy and military documents Box 15
- Miscellaneous biographical/historical documents Box 15
- Clippings and press publications Box 35
- Series: Digital and audiovisual material: audiocassette, floppy disks, Zip disk, CD-Rs 15.7 Gigabytes (1 audiocassette, 2 3.5" floppy disks, 1 Iomega Zip disk, 22 CD-Rs) Box 38
: Special equipment or surrogate required; consult Houghton staff.
Scope and Contents: CDs represent backup copies, presumably of compositions
- Series: Business
- Malsbary Manufacturing Company correspondence and reports Box 41
Date: circa 1953
- Carter's Ink Company correspondence and reports Box 41
- Champion Lamp Works correspondence and reports Box 41
- Gorton Corporation Box 41 Box 42
- Gorton's of Gloucester records Box 35
- Gorton's of Gloucester business charts Box 37
- Kellogg Associates records Box 35
- Job hunting Box 43
- Gloucester (Mass.) city documents Box 35
- Gloucester (Mass.) Box 42 Box 43
- Miscellaneous business and government papers Box 43
- Business publications Box 44
- Series: Travel documents
- Travel notes Box 44
- Travel diary Box 44
- Travel records Box 44
- Travel postcards with anotations Box 44
- Travel folders (various countries) Box 44
Gorton's of Gloucester