MS Am 3068
Ripley and Thayer families papers, 1759-1964 (MS Am 3068): Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Location: Collection temporarily housed in MS holding aisle P5 awaiting end-processing
Call No.: MS Am 3068
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Ripley Family
Creator: Thayer Family.
Title: Ripley and Thayer families papers,
Quantity: 13.9 linear feet (13 boxes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English and French.
Abstract: Personal and professional papers of members of the Ripley, Thayer, Ames, and Simmons
91M-64. Gift of Trustees of Reservations, ; received: 1991 July 31.
Collection was deposited at the Old Manse by Mrs. Frederick Starr and was transferred
to Houghton by the Trustees of Reservations.
Processed by: Ashley M. Nary
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
A portion of this collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved
offsite at the Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should
check with Houghton Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and
retrieval policies and times.
Ripley and Thayer Families Papers, 1759-1964 (MS Am 3068). Houghton Library, Harvard
Several books were removed from the collection and cataloged individually.
The Ripley family had strong ties to 18th and 19th-century Concord, Massachusetts
society and the transcendentalist movement. The Thayer family was related to the Ripley
family through the marriage of Sophia Bradford Ripley Thayer and James Bradley Thayer,
professor at Harvard Law School. Members of the Ripley and Thayer families occupied
the Old Manse in Concord from approximately 1778 until 1939 when the property was
sold to the Trustees of Reservations.
Notable family members include Ezra Ripley (1751-1841, Harvard A.M. 1776, D.D. 1816)
minister in Concord, MA and the first of his family to live in the Old Manse. Ezra
married Phebe Bliss (Emerson) Ripley, widow of William Emerson. Samuel Ripley (1783-1847,
Harvard A.M. 1804) son of Ezra and Phebe, was a minister in Waltham, MA and married
Sarah Alden (Bradford) Ripley (1793-1867), daughter of Gamaliel Bradford (1763-1824).
Mary E. Ripley Simmons (1820-1907), daughter of Samuel and Sarah, married George Frederick
Simmons (1814-1855, Harvard A.M. 1832). Sophia Bradford Ripley Thayer (1833-1914)
daughter of Samuel and Sarah married James Bradley Thayer (1831-1902, Harvard A.M.
1852, LL.B. 1856, LL.D. 1894) lawyer and law professor at Harvard Law School. Ezra
Ripley Thayer (1866-1915, Harvard A.B 1888, LL.B. 1891) son of Sarah and James was
a lawyer as well as professor and dean of Harvard Law School. Ezra married Ethel Randolph
Clark. Sarah Ripley Thayer Ames (1874-1939) daughter of Sophia and James, married
John Worthington Ames (1871-1954, Harvard A.B. 1892) son of Margaret Plumley Ames
and John Worthington Ames.
Arranged into the following series:
- I. Correspondence
- I.A. General correspondence
- I.B. Correspondence removed from William Sydney Thayer album
- II. Family papers
- II.A. Ripley Family
- II.B. Thayer Family
- II.C. Ames Family
- II.D. Simmons Family
- II.E. Related persons
- III. Materials related to the Old Manse
- IV. Photographs
- IV.A. Individuals
- IV.B. Groups
- IV.C. Places
Contains the personal and professional papers of members of the Ripley, Thayer, Simmons,
and Ames families as well as other related individuals. Also includes correspondence
from notable personalities including Ralph Waldo Emerson and Nathaniel Hawthorne,
Henry David Thoreau, Woodrow Wilson, John Quincy Adams, and Theodore Roosevelt.
- Series: I. Correspondence
Scope and Contents: Includes incoming and outgoing correspondence of members of the Ripley, Thayer, Ames,
and Simmons families and additional related family members. Envelopes, when present,
are included behind the corresponding letter. Some letters also include annotated
note cards in unidentified hand.
- Series: III. Old Manse
- (462). Various authors. Essays about the Old Manse : printed and typescript 1 folder
- (463). Balance sheet : manuscript 1 folder
Date: circa 1915
- (464). Printed Materials 1 folder
Date: 1939 and undated
- Series: IV. Photographs
Scope and Contents: Includes card photographs, cased photographs, tintypes, stereoscopic photographs, photograph albums, framed and over-size photographs, prints and photographic ephemera.
- B. Groups
- Ames Family.
- (514). Frances Ames Randall and Rebecca Ames seated : portrait photograph1 folder
- (515). Frances Ames Randall holding young Theodora Randall : photograph1 folder
- (516). John Worthington Ames with Margaret Ames and Frances Ames : portrait photographs1 folder
- (517). John Worthington Ames and Mary F. Ames seated at table 1 folder
Date: circa 1952
- (518). Sophia Ripley Ames Boyer with unidentified family members : photographs1 folder
- (519). Sophia Ripley Ames Boyer with father John Worthington Ames : photographs1 folder
- (520). John Worthington Ames, Jr. and William T. Ames : photographs1 folder
- (522). Unidentified Ames child standing outside Old Manse with caretaker Ferguson : photograph1 folder
- (523). Loring, David with unidentified individuals standing in snow : photographic postcard1 folder
- Thayer Family.
- (526). Thayer family members seated on steps : photographs1 folder
Scope and Contents: Family members include Ezra Ripley Thayer, James Bradley Thayer, Sarah Bradford Ripley Thayer, Theodora Thayer, Elizabeth Ripley Simmons, and Sarah Ripley Thayer Ames.
- (528). William Sydney Thayer and Ezra Ripley Thayer : portrait photographs1 folder
- (529). Sophia Bradford Ripley Thayer with young James Bradley Thayer [Jr.] and Eleanor Thayer : photograph1 folder
- (533). Family portrait at the Old Manse : portrait photographs1 folder
Scope and Contents
Includes Ripley, Thayer, Ames, Bradford, and Simmons family members.
- (536). Unidentified groups : photographs and prints1 folder
Date: 1913-1943 and undated
- C. Places
- (540). Kyneton House, Thornbury (South Gloucestershire, England) : photograph 1 folder
- (541). Haarlem (Netherlands) : photographic prints1 folder
- (542). Unidentified photographs 1 folder