MS Am 3110
Langer, Susanne Katherina Knauth, 1895-1985. Susanne Langer papers, 1895-1985 (MS
Am 3110): Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Initial processing made possible with grant from Leonard Langer.
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Am 3110
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Langer, Susanne Katherina Knauth, 1895-1985.
Title: Susanne Langer papers
Quantity: 38.75 linear feet (30 boxes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English and German.
Abstract: Correspondence and compositions of Susanne Langer.
84M-43, 91M-78, 93M-67, 95M-1. Gift of Leonard C. R. Langer, received: 1985-1995.
2002M-65 (b). Gift of Leonard C. R. Langer, received: 2003 May 16.
2003M-37. Gift of Leonard C. R. Langer, received: 2003 December 2.
Gift of Mr. Leonard C. R. Langer, 1985-1995, 2003.
Collection was minimally processed by: Donald Dryden, Bonnie Salt, 1997-2001.
Current finding aid made available online in 2016 with use of existing description,
no further arrangement done at that time.
Donald Dryden initially sorted and arranged the Langer papers. The correspondence
was preliminarily sorted by Harvard work-study students. There is still a section
of unsorted correspondence. Mr. Dryden went through the entire collection and rough
sorted all of it, but spent most of his time fine-tuning the Langer composition section.
He removed most but not all of the paper clips; he often replaced these clips with
sheets of paper wrapped around sections of pages; he moved materials into acid free
temporary folders and labeled most in some way, often with all the information taken
from the old folders; he added titles in [ ] when he supplied the title. He also made
a very preliminary study of the index cards and wrote down a possible arrangement/description
scheme for them. In October of 1997, B. Salt spent a week quickly sorting a portion
of the collection, to facilitate use by readers.
Collection is open for research.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
Susanne Langer Papers, 1895-1985 (MS Am 3110). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Susanne Langer (1895-1985) was an American woman philosopher who wrote extensively
on linguistic analysis and aesthetics. She received an A.B. from Radcliffe College
in 1920, an M.A. in 1924, and a Ph.D. from Harvard University in 1926. From 1927-1942
she was a tutor in philosophy at Radcliffe. She also taught at: Wellesley, Smith,
University of Delaware, New York University, Columbia University, Connecticut College,
This collection is loosely arranged into 4 series:
- I. Correspondence
- II. Compositions
- III. Unsorted Materials
- IV. Index Card Files
Includes: correspondence (including correspondence between Leonard Langer and HCL
about the Langer papers), Wilson College honorary degree, and American Academy of
Arts and Sciences certificate, and much else.
The collection contains fewer manuscript materials for the earlier books Langer wrote
as opposed to the later. For example there are very few manuscript materials for Philosophy
in a New Key or for Feeling and Form, but many for Mind. Cross-references have been
put on pieces of paper and inserted into the collection in a few places. Often Langer's
dating and titles on the folder do not refer to everything in it. She often pulled
various pieces together to create her own lecture or such later. Small pieces of papers
have been put together into white envelopes and described contents on envelope.
- Series: I. Correspondence
- Series: II. Compositions by Susan Langer
- Short compositions: Philosophy, A-M Box 4
- Short compositions: Philosophy, N-Z Box 5
- Short compositions: Others, A-Z Box 5
- Course lectures: Art - Symbolism Box 6
- Course lectures: undetermined and other; course materials Box 7
- Books: The practice of Philosophy, Philosophy in a new key, Feeling and form, Problems
of art, Reflections on art, Philosophical sketches Box 7
- Books: Mind, Vol. I, 1-11; Vol. II, 12-16 Box 8
- Books: Mind, Vol. II, 17-18; Vol. III, 16-23 Box 9
- Books: Mind: Abridged edition Box 10
- Series: III. Unsorted Materials
- Manuscripts Box 11
Scope and Contents
: Mind. Vol II. Galley proofs;
Mind. Abridged edition, page proofs (photocopies);
Mylorias, Paul. Materials on his bibliographies;
Sheffer, Henry Maurice. SKL's writings and notes on him;
Philosophical Sketches, Galley proofs; World Law and World Reform by SKL from 12th
conference on science, philosophy and religion. [while at NW Univ.] Mimeograph copy.
- Journals, notebooks, and notes Box 11
Scope and Contents
: [Notebook. 1957]. Black, small, three-ring, with cover detached;
[Notebook. Symposia, 1963-1967 and other journal entries]. Small brown spiral notebook;
[Notebook.] Combarien, J. Histoire de la Musique. Des Origines de la ? De Beethoven.
Paris 1913. Navy and off-white bound notebook. Notebook of Greek Art. Susanne Knauth.
Two-ring black binder;
[Notebook.] History of Art. Egyptian Art. Susanne Knauth. Two-ring black binder;
[Notebook.] Harmony. Susanne Knauth. Eliot Hall. Cambridge;
[Notebook.] The land of identity, or who's who, where, and what about it. 29 Dec 1950
- 10 Nov 1951: Northwestern; and Univ. Of Washington. With folder of materials found
inside. In 2 folders. Notes on Chicago Art Institute;
[Notes. Syllabus and class notes from Zoology 102 (1962).];
[Notes. Reading notes on logic?]2 folders. [Undergraduate compositions.] [Undergraduate
notes from a undergraduate physical science course?]
- Mounted pictures: The functions of decorative design Box 12
- Clippings: collected by Langer, on Langer Box 12
- Biographical and bibliographical on Langer [miscellany]: Banner-Honorary Degree certificates
- Biographical and bibliographical on Langer [miscellany]: Honorary Degree certificates-Veltin
School NY Box 13
- Compositions by Others: Bahm-Sheffer Box 13
- Compositions by Others: Speech-W Box 14
- Printed Material of Others: A-Z materials Box 14
- Printed Material of Others: folders A-K Box 14
- Printed Material of Others: folders L-W Box 15
- Printed Material of Others: unsorted books, articles Box 15
- Printed Materials by Langer: unsorted printed articles Box 16
- Printed Books by Langer Box 17
- Oversized materials Box 18
- Invitations to Barnard, Clark, and Connecticut College commencements, where SKL received
honorary degrees Box 30
Date: circa 1945-1982
Scope and Contents: Includes clippings, offprints, and reprints.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: 2002M-65 (b)
Conditions Governing Access: Access requires permission of curator.
- Series: IV. Index Card Files
- Index card files Box 20, Box 21, Box 22, Box 23, Box 24, Box 25, Box 26 Box 27