Murray, Albert. Albert Murray papers, circa 1939-2003: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository, pf
Call No.: 2016M-14
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Murray, Albert.
Title: Albert Murray papers
Quantity: 8.5 linear feet (10 boxes)
Abstract: Preliminary box list for papers of American novelist and jazz critic, Albert Murray.
2016M-14. Purchased with funds from the Bayard Livingston and Kate Gray Kilgour Fund and the
Harmand Teplow Class of 1920 Book Fund; received: 2016 July 8 and October.
Accessioned by: Melanie Wisner
Open for research.
Most of this collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite
at the Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check
with Houghton Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval
policies and times.
For additional papers of Albert Murray held by the Houghton Library, search HOLLIS
Albert Lee Murray (1916-2013) was an American novelist, essayist, and literary and
jazz critic. Born in Alabama, he attended the Tuskegee Institute, graduating in 1939;
he served in the U.S. Air Force from 1943-1962. He and Ralph Ellison were close friends
Arrangement is original and materials are not fully cataloged. Readers should note
that when fully processed, the order of materials may change.
Collection includes compositions, correspondence, teaching materials, research files,
clippings, photographs, audiovisual material, and personal material relating to Murray
and his wife, Mozelle.
For more detail, see internal file.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- Photographs (albums and loose). 1 boxes Box 1
- Photographs; photographs and videocassettes ofCount Basie. 1 boxes Box 2
- Tuskegee Institute diplomas and awards; estate planning documents. 1 boxes Box 3
- Compositions; correspondence and "feedback". 1 boxes Box 4
- Mixed reviews, teaching files, letters of recommendation, correspondence, clippings. 1 boxes Box 5
- Travel files (Mozelle); theses by others on Murray. 1 boxes Box 6
- Project files, teaching appointments, letters of recommendation. 1 boxes Box 7
- Audiocassettes: (7 tapes) interview of Murray by Robert G. O'Meally, 1994, with transcript; oversize calendars; 1 3.5" floppy disk ("Armstrong"); miscellaneous oversize clippings and print. 1 boxespf Box 8
- Calendars, 1967-2001; "feedback"; Murray's military records; contracts; correspondence; drafts of South to a very old place; material relating to Hero and the Blues; Peace Corps, 1967; Robert Bone file; Eleanor Traylor file; James Weldon Johnson file; Thomas Mann file; book party files; Romare Bearden exhibition file; and miscellaneous other files. 1 boxes Box 9
- Folder of "important documents" in plastic sleeves; 3 notebooks; real estate file;
Hero and the Blues galley proof; Alaine Locke symposium file; Pen/Faulkner award file; Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum file; typescript draft of The magic keys. 1 boxes Box 10