OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
|http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:FHCL.Hough:hou02771View HOLLIS Record
Questions or Comments Copyright Statement
On July 1, 2018, OASIS will retire. It will be replaced by HOLLIS for Archival Discovery. Please explore.
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: b, f
Call No.: MS Sparks 106-162
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Sparks, Jared, 1789-1866.
Title: Jared Sparks personal papers
Quantity: 50 linear feet (86 volumes, 57 boxes, 11 envelopes, 3 cases, 2 folders)
Language of materials: Materials are in English,
Abstract: Jared Spark's personal papers.
Each MS Sparks call number from 1-105 has a separate finding aid.The Jared Sparks letterbooks (MS Sparks 153) has a separate finding aid. Provided in this finding aid is a rough box level description.Additional letters and papers of Jared Sparks are found in the Harvard University Archives, UAI15.886, UAI15.886.3, UAI15.886.10, UAI15.886.x, and HUA 734.
Jared Sparks (Harvard, AB 1815, AM 1818) was an American historian and editor, the McClean Professor of Ancient and Modern History at Harvard University (1839-1849), and its president (1849-1853).
For the most complete general description of the Sparks collection, see: Justin Winsor, Calendar of the Sparks manuscripts in Harvard College Library, with an appendix showing other manuscripts (Library of Harvard University Bibliographical Contributions, no. 22) (Cambridge: Library of Harvard University, 1889). See also: Catalogue of the library of Jared Sparks: with a list of the historical manuscripts collected by him and now deposited in the library of Harvard University (Cambridge: Riverside Press, 1871).
Arranged into the following series:
- Series I: Correspondence
- Subseries I.A: Outgoing
- Subsubseries I.A.1: Letter books
- Subsubseries I.A.2: Copies of letters sent
- Subsubseries I.A.3: Letters to Ansel Young
- Subseries I.B: Record of Letters Sent
- Subseries I.C: Miscellaneous Letters and Papers
- Series II: Compositions and Works
- Subseries II.A. Lives of
- Subseries II.B. Articles, Reports, and Essays
- Series III: Research
- Series IV: Harvard College
- Series V: Business and Financial
- Series VI: Material about Jared Sparks
- Series VII: Personal and Miscellaneous
- Subseries VII.A: Journals and Diaries
- Subseries VII.B: Commonplace Books
- Subseries VII.C: Diplomas
- Subseries VII.D: Maps
- Subseries VII.E: Translations
The Jared Sparks papers contain Spark's historical essays and compositions, published articles, letter books, diaries, account books related to his college days, professional research, and his tenure as College president.