MS Typ 1186
Brunhoff, Jean de, 1899-1937. Jean de Brunhoff drawings and related material for ABC
de Babar, 1934: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Typ 1186
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Brunhoff, Jean de, 1899-1937.
Title: Jean de Brunhoff drawings and related material for ABC de Babar,
Quantity: 1 collection (.15 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in French.
Abstract: Pencil sketches, ink drawings, and related materials by Jean de Brunhoff, French artist
and author, for his ABC de Babar.
2015MH-1 Gift of Laurent de Brunhoff and Phyllis Rose; and purchased with the Bayard Livingston and Kate Gray Kilgour Fund, the Philip and
Frances Hofer Lecture Fund, and the Philip Hofer Charitable Trust; received: 2015 October 10.
Processed by: Susan Wyssen
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Jean de Brunhoff Drawings and Related Material for ABC de Babar, 1934 (MS Typ 1186).
Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Jean de Brunhoff (1899-1937) was a French illustrator and author known for creating
the Babar books.
Arranged into the following series:
- I. Abecedary Sketches
- II. Cover, Endsheets, and Title Page for ABC de Babar
- III. Illustrations for ABC de Babar
Collection consists of work leading to the production of Jean de Brunhoff's ABC de Babar, including pencil sketches, mock-ups, and ink line drawings of preliminary ideas; drawings
and camera-ready copy for the cover, endsheets, and title page; original ink drawings
of illustrations; and the painted, color illustrations used for production.
- Series: I. Abecedary Sketches
- (1). Brunhoff, Jean de, 1899-1937. L' ABC de Babar : pencil sketches, undated. 1 folders
Small dummy book, measuring 12 x 10 cm, consisting of 13 folded sheets and two loose
half-sheets. Mock-up drawings little resemble final work.
- (4). Brunhoff, Jean de, 1899-1937. Pencil and ink drawings, undated. 1 folders
5 drawings, measuring 27 x 37 or smaller, in pencil and black ink with hand-drawn
letters and alphabetical text in pencil.
Drawings feature images of Pom, Alexandre, Flora, Cousin Arthur, Cornelius, and Zephyr.
- (5). Brunhoff, Jean de, 1899-1937. Ink drawings, undated. 1 folders
3 black ink cut-out drawings measuring 13 x 15 cm or smaller.
One drawing is of a cart similar to that in the "U/V" page of ABC de Babar.
These drawings were found with the camera-ready copy of the title page in the Cover,
Endsheets, and Title Page series.
- Series: II. Cover, Endsheets, and Title Page for ABC de Babar
- (8). Brunhoff, Jean de, 1899-1937. Camera-ready copy of cover illustration, 1934. 1 folders
Black ink drawing with black and white lettering with printing notes in pencil. Includes
a printed proof cut-out of Babar and the blackboard that has been painted with gouache.
- (9). Brunhoff, Jean de, 1899-1937. Camera-ready copy and painted proof of endsheets, 1934. 1 folders
Black ink drawing with light crayon coloring with printing notes in pencil. Also with
printed proof in reverse painted in rust gouache with grey accent in pencil or crayon.
Also includes a separate test strip of the rust color gouache.
- (11). Brunhoff, Jean de, 1899-1937. Camera-ready copy of title page verso, 1934. 1 folders
Hand-lettered text with copyright information and works previously published. Includes
printer's notes in pencil.
- Series: III. Illustrations for ABC de Babar
- (12). Brunhoff, Jean de, 1899-1937. Camera-ready copy of illustration drawings, circa 1934. 1 folders
Black ink drawings on paper 27 x 37 cm or smaller, with notes in pencil along border
edges and on verso, chiefly concerning printing or the images in the drawing as they
relate to a particular letter. Attached to drawings are hand-drawn letters in black
ink, each letter shown in majuscule and minuscule in print-script and cursive.
Includes illustrations for the following Alphabet book pages: A, C, D, H, I, K, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, UV, WXY, and Z.
Pages for I, M, O, Q, and UV lack attched letterforms.
With folder marked in blue pencil, "A.B.C. de Babar / Dessins Originaux."
- (13). Brunhoff, Jean de, 1899-1937. Camera-ready colored illustrations, circa 1934. 1 folders
Watercolors on printed blackline proofs of drawings on paper 21 x 34 cm or smaller.
Includes illustrations for the following Alphabet book pages: A, C, D, E, G, K, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, UV, WXY, and Z.