MS Thr 1175
Marlowe, Julia, 1865-1950. Julia Marlowe collection of letters and photographs, 1890-1937
(MS Thr 1175): Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Thr 1175
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Marlowe, Julia, 1865-1950.
Title: Julia Marlowe collection of letters and photographs,
Quantity: .75 linear feet (2 boxes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English and French.
Abstract: Autograph manuscript letters from Julia Marlowe and photographs.
Recataloged from MS Thr 467.
*42M-1385. Gift of William B. Osgood Field; received: 1942
No accession number. Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Arne Ekstrom; received: 1977 October 13.
No accession number. Purchased from Fortunate Finds; received 1964 May 23.
Processed by: Kristin Alexander
Julia Marlowe Collection of Letters and Photographs, 1890-1937 (MS Thr 1175). Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
Julia Marlowe (1865-1950) was a Shakespearean stage actress from the late 1800s to
early 1900s. Marlowe's first marriage was to Robert Taber which lasted from 1894-1900.
Marlowe began an acting partnership with E. H. Sothern in 1904. Sothern and Marlowe
were married in 1911.
Arranged into the following three series :
- I. Correspondence
- II. Photographs
- III. Additional materials
The bulk of the collection includes letters and greeting cards written by Julia Marlowe.
The collection also includes photographs, photographic postcards, signatures, a dinner
menu and a bookplate.
- Series: II. Photographs.
- (89). E. H. Sothern Liberty ship in dry dock : black and white photograph, undated. 1 folders
Built during World War II.
- (90). Casa Mia yard and house : black and white photograph, undated. 1 folders
- (91). Swiming pool under construction : black and white photograph, undated. 1 folders
Verso reads "The swimming pool is lonely".
- (93). Julia Marlowe, E. H. (Edward Hugh) Sothern, Dessie McDonald Bar, Brevoort Bristol Barr, and others sitting at dinner table : black and white photograph, 1932. 1 folders
- (94). Julia Marlowe with Mrs. H. Casmir de Rham, Herbert L. Satterlee, and Beverly R. Robinson at exhibition opening at Museum of the City of New York : black and white photograph, 1994 December. 1 folders
Photograph by Kavallines of New York Herald Tribune (firm).
- Series: III. Additional materials.
- (95). Marlowe, Julia, 1865-1950. Signatures, 1890. 1 folders
- (96). Dinner menu (signed) for dinner held by the Barrs in honor of the Sotherns, 1932 October 28. 1 folders
- (97). Tiffany and Company. E. H. Sothern and Julia Marlowe bookplate, undated. 1 folders
- (98). Written account regarding Julia Marlowe's emerald ring from E. H. Sothern : manuscript,
undated. 1 folders
In unidentified manuscript hand.
- (99). John Murray (firm). Monthly review table of contents, 1907 June. 1 folders
- (100). Unidentified fragments : typescript and manuscript, undated. 1 folders