MS Am 888
Clarke, John, 1698-1768. John Clarke estate and other papers, 1752-1922: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 888
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Clarke, John, 1698-1768.
Title: John Clarke estate and other papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (.2 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Papers concerning estate of Dr. John Clarke, physician and apothecary of Boston; and
other Clarke family papers.
No accession number. Gift of Charles H. Taylor; received: 1922 November 15.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
John Clarke Estate and Other Papers, 1752-1922 (MS Am 888). Houghton Library, Harvard
John Clarke (1698-1768) was a physician and apothecary of Boston, Massachusetts. He
was the son of Dr. John Clarke and Sarah Clarke, and the husband of Elizabeth Clarke.
Arranged in original order.
Documents concerning the will of John Clarke and his son, William Clarke's, attempt
to contest it. Chiefly legal documents, written in several hands, signed by John Clarke,
William Clarke, Elizabeth Clarke Mayhew, Samuel Hemenway, and many others. Also with
a newspaper clipping describing the papers and the Clarke family history and a few
miscellaneous Clarke family papers.
- (1). Title page and table of contents to papers : manuscript, undated. 1 folders
These papers originally were pasted onto sheets of paper and formed into a packet.
Probably in the hand of the collector/donor Charles H. Taylor.
- (2). Refer to early Boston days. Manuscripts concerning affairs of Dr. John Clarke find
their way here. Article from the Boston Globe : clipping, 1922 October 22. 1 folders
Concerns history and content of these documents and gives genealogical and biographical
information on the Clarke family, chiefly those mentioned in the documents.
Formerly item 1.
- (4). Articles of agreement between John Clarke and Jacob Thayer for the construction of a building : manuscript contract (signed), 1766 November 5. 1 folders
Signed by Jacob Thayer, William Clarke, Robert Edwards and Thomas Badger.
Formerly item 3.
- (5). Will of William Clarke : manuscript document copy (unsigned), undated. 1 folders
Formerly item 4.
- (6). Petition of William Clarke to contest the will of his father John Clarke : manuscript document (unsigned); Boston, 1768 June. 1 folders
Formerly item 5.
- (7). Petition of Elizabeth Clarke Mayhew concerning the division of John Clarke's estate : manuscript document (unsigned), 1768. 1 folders
Also concerns the guardianship of his minor, orphaned grandchildren and the provision
in the will to send the grandchildren to Harvard College.
Formerly item 6.
- (10). In memory of Jonathan Mayhew Wainwright ... departed this life Sept 21, 1854 : manuscript, undated. 1 folders
- (11). Dodsley, Robert, 1703-1764, author. The toy-shop : manuscript transcript (in the hand of John Clarke); Boston, 1771. 1 folders
Transcriber probably is John Clarke, the grandson of John Clarke (1698-1768).
Formerly item 9.