MS Am 511
American manuscripts, 1722-1907: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 511
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: American manuscripts,
Date(s): 1722-1907 and undated.
Quantity: 1 collection (.5 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English; with some in French and Greek.
Abstract: Miscellaneous documents and manuscripts concerning American history.
No accession numbers. Various donors, various dates. See items for additional information
if known. These items were gathered into a collection by the Treasure Room of the
Harvard College Library. The original shelf list entry titled them: "Miscellaneous
unimportant MSS in box."
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
American Manuscripts, 1722-1907 (MS Am 511). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
These items were removed from this group of materials:
- Dr. Physick's Lectures; received 1842 July 19; offered to Harvard Medical School, 1938 October, 1 volume.
- James Johns item moved in November 1950 to MS Am 1195; Gift of Samuel A. Green, 1871.
- Francis Hopkinson signature to a writ, moved to Autograph file H, in 1927.
- John Worthington letter to William Ely, moved to Autograph file W, in 1927.
Arranged alphabetically by author or title.
Contains a variety of manuscripts, including: accounts; land surveys; tax levies;
town plans for Lunenburg, Vermont and Gilmanton, New Hampshire; a list of the publications
of George Whitney; manuscripts concerning Jonathan Mayhew and Simeon Howard, ministers
of the West Church, Boston; a survey record by Henry Harding; sermons; financial and
legal documents; and many others.
- (12). Davenport, Rufus. An earnest call for some due aid : printed document with manuscript notes, 1838. 1 folders
Includes a lengthy letter to multiple persons from Davenport, this copy addressed
to Lemuel Shaw.
- (13). Diary : manuscript, 1816-1818. 1 folders
- (23). Hodges, M., Rev., recipient. Drafts of letters from an unidentified correspondent,
undated. 1 folders
- (26). Job 2:30 : manuscript sermon, undated. 1 folders
A small booklet, hand-sewn.
Marked in pencil: "Sermon by ? - not Cotton Mather."
Immediate Source of Acquisition: No accession number. Gift of Robert G. Winthrop Jr., Boston; received: 1889 January 11.
- (27). John G. Holcomb and Catharine Piercemarriage certificate : printed form with manuscript additions; Windsor Locks, Connecticut, 1855 June 1. 1 folders
- (29). Lunenburg (Mass.). Plans of land : manuscripts, circa 1730-1744. 1 folders
- (34). Minor, A. A few serious thoughts occasioned by a slight review of the times addressed to their
majesty the people of the state of New York : manuscript copy?; Rensselaerville, New York, 18--? 1 folders
Marked: Found in Albany Centinel
- (37). Notes on German empire : manuscript, undated. 1 folders
- (38). Notes removed from the book: Statuta mercatorum auri, argenti, et serici Mediolani : manuscript, undated. 1 folders
- (41). Office of Ordnance, Plymouth : manuscript document, 1742-1743. 1 folders
- (43). A plan of the division of lotts in Gilmanton. Draft : manuscript charts, 1734. 1 folders
For Gilmanton, New Hampshire. 2 charts.
- (46). Potter, Parker, Mrs. Seeing, hearing, and smelling belle Provence : manuscript, undated. 1 folders
On paper: On board S. S. "Cretic".
Marked: "Rec'd in a book given by Mrs. Parker Potter, September 2, 1939."
Immediate Source of Acquisition: No accession number. Mrs. Parker Potter; received: 1939 September 2.
- (49). Short minutes of meditations on various subjects : manuscript journal; Concord, 1735-1751. 1 folders
Entries in Greek. With index on last page.
Includes manuscript note stating that this item came from the family papers of Sherman Hoar in Concord.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: No accession number. Gift of S. B. Hoar; received: 1925 December 12.
- (51). Summonses and receipts : manuscript documents, 1703?, 1776-1779, 1783 and undated. 1 folders
One includes name of Aaron Silvers.
- (52). Tabitha Goodale deed to Zachariah Goodale : manuscript, 1760 May 21. 1 folders
- (56). Whitney, George, 1804-1842, subject. A complete list of the publications of Rev. George Whitney who was born ... : manuscript, after 1842. 1 folders