MS Thr 1027
Howe, Helen, 1905-1975. Helen Howe papers, 1927-1967: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Thr 1027
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Howe, Helen, 1905-1975.
Title: Helen Howe papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 linear foot (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English
Abstract: Papers of Amercan monologist and author Helen Howe.
No accession number. A few items transferred from Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America; received: 1982.
Bulk of items from unknown sources, unknown dates.
Processed by: Suzanne E. Sutherland
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
Helen Howe Papers, 1927-1967 (MS Thr 1027). Harvard Theatre Collection, Houghton Library,
Monologuist and author Helen Howe studied acting with Georges Vitray in France, joined
the New York Theater Guild, performed to critical acclaim in the United States and
London, toured with "Community Concerts" during World War II, and wrote several novels
and a family history. Her parents, Mark Anthony Dewolfe Howe and Fanny Quincy Howe,
were writers. Her brothers were Quincy Howe, an editor and radio commentator, and
Mark DeWolfe Howe, a Harvard law professor. Howe married Reginald Allen, curator of
the Gilbert and Sullivan collection at the Morgan Library in New York City, and formerly
an administrator of the Metropolitan Opera and the Philadelphia Orchestra.
Arranged into the following series:
- I. Scripts
- II. Other material
Collection includes scripts for over 75 of Helen Howe's monologues. Also included
are several unfinished drafts and short stories that were never published as well
as radio scripts for on-air performances. The collection also includes programs and
promotional materials as well as some correspondence, largely regarding booking appearances.
A ledger detailing performance information between 1927 and 1945 is also included.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- Series: II. Other material
Scope and Contents: Includes miscellaneous unpublished writings, clippings, programs, photographs and
Arrangement: Arranged alphabetically. Folder titles transcribed from originals.
- (75). Advertising and bills/programs : printed programs and typescript collection of excerpts of reviews of Howe's performances, 1960-1961 and undated. 1 folders
- (76). Bits and pieces : typescript and manuscript scripts and incomplete drafts with autograph manuscript annotations, undated. 1 folders
- (77). Clippings, 1965-1966. 1 folders
Clippings compiled by Burrelle's Press Clipping Service,
- (78). Flyers and miscellaneous : printed performance fliers and clipping, undated. 1 folders
- (79). Independent woman : magazine, 1939 April. 1 folders
- (80). Miscellaneous correspondence, 1937-1952. 2 folders
Includes letters regarding booking appearances and letters of praise following performances.
Bulk of letters from Louise, who appears to have been an assistant or secretary to Howe.
Also includes letters from Bob Jones, Jr. and some associates regarding differences of political and social opinion reflected
in Jones' and Howe's work.
- (81). Miscellaneous radio scripts-performed : typescript scripts with autograph manuscript annotations, 1937 and undated. 1 folders
Includes Paper moon, Vallee, Keep young and beautiful, The Sealtest Saturday night party, and Meet Mr. Weeks.
- (82). Miscellaneous short writing : typescript monologuedrafts with autograph manuscript annotations, undated. 1 folders
Includes Radio, Education, Basic, and Morale at the St. Regis.
- (84). Miscellaneous writing : typescript and manuscript drafts, monologue, and speeches undated. 1 folders
- (85). Miscellaneous writings : typescript speeche and typescript speech photocopy, monologue, and short story with autograph manuscript annotations, undated. 1 folders
Includes speech of introduction for Emily Kimbrogh at unknown event.
- (86). Monologues and notes (not performed) : typescript and manuscript draftmonologues with autograph manuscript annotations, undated. 1 folders
- (87). Monologues in progress : typescript and manuscript monologues and drafts with autograph manuscript annotations, undated. 1 folders
Fragile. Very brittle paper.
- (88). Monologues, notes and correspondence : typescript and manuscript drafts and notes, undated. 1 folders
Fragile. Very brittle paper.
- (89). Monologue performances thru [sic] the years : ledger, 1927-1945. 1 folders
Includes typescript and manuscript records regarding performance dates, locations,
fees, expenses and the monologue performed.
- (90). Photographs, undated. 1 folders
Includes one photograph of Howe in costume and two copies of a head shot for promotional
- (91). Posterfor performances at Mercury Theatre, undated. 1 folders
- (92). Programs, 1934-1938 and undated. 1 folders
- (93). Short old sketches : typescript lists and outlines for monologues, undated. 1 folders
- (94). Short old sketches (monologues-old) : typescript and manuscript scripts and monologues, undated. 1 folders
Also includes clipping and typescript collection of excerpts of reviews of Howe's performances.
- (95). Speeches, skits, and miscellaneous : typescript and manuscript scripts and drafts, undated. 1 folders
Fragile. Very brittle condition.
- (96). Writings-never published : typescript and manuscript short stories and monologues, undated. 1 folders
Also includes some correspondence from editors declining to publish stories included