MS Am 2458
Hale, Richard Walden, 1871-1943. Richard Walden Hale papers concerning Review of the
news, 1918: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 2458
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Hale, Richard Walden, 1871-1943.
Title: Richard Walden Hale papers concerning Review of the news,
Quantity: 1 collection (.25 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Letters, newsletters, and other materials concerning Hale's Review of the News sent to Richard Clarke Cabot while he was stationed with an American medical corps
in France during World War I.
No accession number; Gift of Richard Walden Hale; received: 1929 June 24. Recataloged from H796.18F*.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Richard Walden Hale Papers Concerning Review of the News, 1918 (MS Am 2458). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Richard Walden Hale (1871-1943) was a Boston lawyer. Together with Dudley Huntington
Dorr, he was a founder in 1918 of the Boston law firm of Hale and Dorr. Richard Clarke
Cabot was an American physician who advanced clinical hematology, was an innovator
in teaching methods, and was a pioneer in social work. In 1917 Cabot took up a position
in the Medical Reserve Corps for a year, and was stationed in Bordeaux, France.
Arranged alphabetically by author.
Includes: correspondence between Richard Walden Hale and Ella Lyman Cabot and Richard
Clarke Cabot concerning Hale's writing and sending the Review of the news to Cabot in France, while Cabot was with the medical corps (Massachusetts General
Hospital unit) during World War I; typescript carbon copies of newsletters from 1918
May - December, and duplicate copies; 1929 letter of donation from Hale to Widener
Library, Harvard University; and a 1918 letter from Hale to Henry Cabot Lodge concerning
war reports he needed.
- (1). Cabot, Ella Lyman. Letter to Richard Walden Hale; Waltham, 1918 May 15. 1 folders
Letter asking Hale to write newsletters and send them to Richard Clarke Cabot so he
can read them to the Massachusetts General Hospital Unit.
- (2). Cabot, Richard C. (Richard Clarke), 1868-1939. Postcards sent to Richard Walden Hale; Bordeaux, France, 1918. 1 folders
10 postcards signed by Cabot and returned to Hale showing the current event weekly
was received. Some includes brief comments by Cabot.
- (3). Cabot, Richard C. (Richard Clarke), 1868-1939. France invents - America organizes : printed clipping, 1918 September 7. 1 folders
Printed in Collier's.
- (4). Hale, Richard Walden, 1871-1943. Letter to Ella Lyman Cabot; Boston, 1918 May 18. 1 folders
He agrees to take on the newsletter task.
- (5). Hale, Richard Walden, 1871-1943. Letter to Richard C. (Richard Clarke) Cabot; Boston, 1918 May 22. 1 folders
Letter describing in detail how the "review of events" will be carried out.
- (6). Hale, Richard Walden, 1871-1943. Letter to Senator Henry Cabot Lodge; Boston, 1918 September 20. 1 folders
Requests copies of Senate airplane report and of the "important testimony."
- (10). Hale, Richard Walden, 1871-1943. Review of the news [duplicates] : typescript carbon; Boston, 1918. 1 folders
- (11). Hale, Richard Walden, 1871-1943. Review of the news mailing accounts, 1918. 1 folders
Details postage spent on mailings.