MS Thr 1009
El'darov, Sergei Aleksandrovich, collector. El'darov collection of images from the
Riga Circus, circa 1935-1962: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Thr 1009
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: El'darov, Sergei Aleksandrovich, collector.
Title: El'darov collection of images from the Riga Circus,
Date(s): 1935-1962 and undated.
Quantity: 1 collection (.25 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in Russian, German, French, and English.
Abstract: Photographs, photographic postcards, and postcard advertisements of circus performers
from the collection of Sergei Aleksandrovich El'darov, the director of the Riga Circus.
No accession number. Purchased from Marina von Hirsch; received: date unknown.
Marina von Hirsch acquired these photographs from Andrei Sergeevich El'darov, the
son of Sergei Aleksandrovich El'darov, who was the director of the Soviet State Circus
in Riga, Latvia in the 1940s. These photographs were from the director's collection.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt, with the assistance of Irina Klyagin.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
El'darov Collection of Images from the Riga Circus, circa 1935-1949 (MS Thr 1009).
Harvard Theatre Collection, Houghton Library, Harvard University.
The "Rīgas Cirks" opened in 1888 in Riga, Latvia. The architect of the building and founder of the
circus was Albert Salamonsky. In 1940, with the arrival of USSR army, the circus was
nationalized and renamed The State Circus of the Latvian Soviet Socialist Republic. Until 1991, the artist work and performances were supervised by USSR Ministry of Culture
Circus Department. Since 1991, after Latvia regained independence, "Rīgas Cirks" has
been under the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Latvia.
Sergei Aleksandrovich El'darov was the director of the circus in Riga in the1940s,
and perhaps also in the 1930s.
Arranged in the following series:
- I. Images, by name
- II. Images, by subject
Images includes: photographs of performers at the circus in Riga, Latvia; photographs,
advertising fliers, and advertising postcards (with photomechanical or photographic
images) of foreign acts from Germany, France, Denmark, Austria, and other countries,
apparently sent to El'darov as advertising by theatrical agents for potential booking
at Riga; and advertising materials addressed to the Director of the Cirkus Salamonsky, Riga from the 1930s. Images depict many acts marketed from Nazi Germany. Some images depict
acts from the Moscow circus on tour in Riga.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- Series: II. Images, by subject
Arrangement: Arranged alphabetically by subject.
Scope and Contents: These images do not include descriptions of who is in each photograph, therefore they
have been categorized by subject matter.
- (66). Acrobats, high wire : photographs, 1949 and undated. 1 folders
- (67). Audience, Riga : photograph, undated. 1 folders
- (68). Bear act : photograph, 1949. 1 folders
- (69). Bird act : photograph, undated. 1 folders
- (70). Circus troupe in ring : photographs, 1949-1950 and undated. 1 folders
Some also depict the audience. One is a panorama photograph.
- (71). Circus troupe off stage : photographs, 1949 and undated. 1 folders
- (72). Circus troupe on stage : panorama photograph, undated. 1 folders
1 item. Large group standing on stage in front of curtain. I. Galamik, photographer.
- (73). Circus troupe parade : photographs, undated. 1 folders
- (74). Clowns : photographs, undated. 1 folders
- (75). Cyclists : photograph, undated. 1 folders
- (76). Dog act : photograph, undated. 1 folders
- (77). Equestrians : photographs and photographic postcard, 1949 and undated. 1 folders
- (78). Folk dancers : photograph, undated. 1 folders
- (79). Magicians : photograph, undated. 1 folders
- (80). Musicians : photographs, 1949 and undated. 1 folders
One marked: Gustav Kruse (Berlin).
- (81). Plate and ring juggling and spinning : photographs, 1949. 1 folders
- (82). Portraits of unidentified performers : photographic postcard and photographs, undated. 1 folders
- (83). Seal act : photograph, undated. 1 folders
Stamped on verso: Lederer, Paris.