[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:FHCL.Hough:hou02489View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
MS Thr 1009

El'darov, Sergei Aleksandrovich, collector. El'darov collection of images from the Riga Circus, circa 1935-1962: Guide.

Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University

[link]


Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA

© President and Fellows of Harvard College

Descriptive Summary

Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Thr 1009
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: El'darov, Sergei Aleksandrovich, collector.
Title: El'darov collection of images from the Riga Circus,
Date(s): 1935-1962 and undated.
Quantity: 1 collection (.25 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in Russian, German, French, and English.
Abstract: Photographs, photographic postcards, and postcard advertisements of circus performers from the collection of Sergei Aleksandrovich El'darov, the director of the Riga Circus.

Immediate Source of Acquisition:

No accession number. Purchased from Marina von Hirsch; received: date unknown.
Marina von Hirsch acquired these photographs from Andrei Sergeevich El'darov, the son of Sergei Aleksandrovich El'darov, who was the director of the Soviet State Circus in Riga, Latvia in the 1940s. These photographs were from the director's collection.

Processing Information:

Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt, with the assistance of Irina Klyagin.

Conditions Governing Access:

There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open for research.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies and times.

Preferred Citation for Publication:

El'darov Collection of Images from the Riga Circus, circa 1935-1949 (MS Thr 1009). Harvard Theatre Collection, Houghton Library, Harvard University.

Biographical / Historical

The "Rīgas Cirks" opened in 1888 in Riga, Latvia. The architect of the building and founder of the circus was Albert Salamonsky. In 1940, with the arrival of USSR army, the circus was nationalized and renamed The State Circus of the Latvian Soviet Socialist Republic. Until 1991, the artist work and performances were supervised by USSR Ministry of Culture Circus Department. Since 1991, after Latvia regained independence, "Rīgas Cirks" has been under the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Latvia.
Sergei Aleksandrovich El'darov was the director of the circus in Riga in the1940s, and perhaps also in the 1930s.

Arrangement

Arranged in the following series:

Scope and Contents

Images includes: photographs of performers at the circus in Riga, Latvia; photographs, advertising fliers, and advertising postcards (with photomechanical or photographic images) of foreign acts from Germany, France, Denmark, Austria, and other countries, apparently sent to El'darov as advertising by theatrical agents for potential booking at Riga; and advertising materials addressed to the Director of the Cirkus Salamonsky, Riga from the 1930s. Images depict many acts marketed from Nazi Germany. Some images depict acts from the Moscow circus on tour in Riga.

General

This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions below for additional information.

Container List


hou02489