OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
|http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:FHCL.Hough:hou02441View HOLLIS Record
Questions or Comments Copyright Statement
On July 1, 2018, OASIS will retire. It will be replaced by HOLLIS for Archival Discovery. Please explore.
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 2922
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Guild family.
Title: Guild family and Eliot family papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Papers of the New England Guild family and Eliot family.
Most items in this collection were received housed in paper folders which included autograph manuscript notes by an unidentified member of the family. These folders have been marked with the appropriate item number listed below and were removed to the curatorial file. Many of the notes about and identifications of the letters were taken from these folders.
Some of the individuals associated with this collection are:
- Elizabeth Quincy Guild (1757-1825): daughter of Josiah Quincy (1710-1784) and Elizabeth Waldron (1722-1760), wife of Benjamin Guild.
- Benjamin Guild (1749-1792): son of Benjamin Guild and Abigail Graves Guild, Harvard College (AB 1769; AM 1772), married Elizabeth Quincy Guild. Bookseller in Boston, and ran a circulating library.
- Benjamin Guild (1785-1858): son of Elizabeth Quincy Guild and Benjamin Guild, Harvard College (AB 1804), married Elizabeth Eliot Guild (1790-1874) and had 7 children.
- Josiah Quincy Guild (1787-1861): son of Elizabeth Quincy Guild and Benjamin Guild, Harvard College (AB 1807).
- Elizabeth Eliot Guild (1790-1874): daugher of banker Samuel Eliot, married Benjamin Guild (1785-1858); her brother was Samuel Atkins Eliot (1798-1862).
- Samuel Atkins Eliot (1798-1862): son of banker Samuel Eliot, Harvard College (AB 1817), Harvard Divinity School (MA 1820), married Mary Lyman Eliot and had four daughters and two sons, including Charles William Eliot, a future president of Harvard University. He was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Massachusetts's 1st district (1850- 1851) and 7th Mayor of Boston (1837–1839).
Organized in the following three series:
- I. Correspondence
- II. Bound letters
- III. Other papers
The papers in this collection all concern family members related to historian Samuel Eliot Morison, the donor of the papers. Primarily includes letters sent by and to Elizabeth Quincy Guild (1757-1825) and her husband Benjamin Guild (1749-1792). Also contains letters to and from other Quincy family and Guild family members such as: Ann Marsh Quincy (1723-1805), Josiah Quincy (1710-1784), Benjamin Guild (1785-1858), Josiah Quincy Guild (1787-1861), Ebenezer Storer (1730-1807), the Storer family, the Cranch family, and others.Contains a bound volume of letters sent to Samuel Atkins Eliot (1798-1862) from his sisters (Mary Harrison Eliot Dwight and Elizabeth Eliot Guild), his mother (Catharine Atkins Eliot), and 1 from George Bancroft.Also includes autograph manuscript and manuscript transcript journal entries for Benjamin Guild (1749-1792); autograph manuscript diaries belonging to Benjamin Guild (1785-1858) from an 1806 trip to Maine; Elizabeth Quincy Guild's autograph manuscript 1790-1791 journal from Ireland and England; a composition written by Hannah Quincy (1736-1826); and a transcript in an unidentified hand concerning the deaths of Ebenezer Storer and other Storer family members.