MS Thr 878
Jacobs, Sally, 1932-. Sally Jacobs papers, 1957-2016: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: b, Vault
Call No.: MS Thr 878
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Jacobs, Sally, 1932-
Title: Sally Jacobs papers
Quantity: 5 linear feet (5 boxes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Papers of the British stage designer Sally Jacobs.
2011MT-55. Purchased with the Frank E. Chase Bequest, John M. Kasdan Fund, Billy Rose Theatre
Fund, and Timothy S. Mayer Fund; received: 2012 June 21.
Processed by: Irina Klyagin
The majority of this collection is open for research.
Correspondence in item 74 closed until after the death of the donor.
Correspondence with Peter Brook may not be published until after the death of both correspondents.
Sally Jacobs Papers, 1952-2011 (MS Thr 878). Harvard Theatre Collection, Houghton
Library, Harvard University
Sally Jacobs (1932- ) is one of the Britain's most influential stage designers who
worked in theater, opera, and film. She worked with the Royal Shakespeare Company
and designed many Peter Brook productions, including Theatre of Cruelty, The Screens, The Marat/Sade, US, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Antony and Cleopatra and The Conference of the Birds. She also designed operas, including Die Fledermaus (Paris), Turandot, Fidelio (Royal Opera House), Die Soldaten and Eugene Onegin (English National Opera). As director and designer her work includes Oedipus at Colonus (Los Angeles), Peter Weigold's Last Tango on the North Circular (Royal Opera House Garden Venture), The War in Heaven by Joe Chaikin and Sam Shepard and she also co-directed The Dancing Room filmed by the BBC. She taught stage design at many of the leading drama departments
in the United States and London, England, including the Slade School of Fine Art.
From 1967 to 1982 she lived in the United States and worked as a designer and director
with a number of American companies in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, and New
Arranged chronologically into 51 series by the donor.
The collection covers Sally Jacobs career in stage design from her early work as a
student at the Central School of Art and Design in London in the 1950s to her latest
projects in the first decade of the 21 century. Papers include correspondence and
contracts, original drawings, sketches and photocopies of drawings of props, scenery
and costume designs, stage plans, scripts, photographs, and slides, and negatives,
clippings of reviews, programs, fliers, and posters. It also includes copies of Sally
Jacobs resumes, transcripts of interviews, and oral history projects, compact discs,
and audio and videotapes.
- Series: XXI. Four plays for the Center Theatre Group of Los Angeles, Mark Taper Forum (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1976
Scope and Contents: Production records of Cross country by Susan Miller, directed by Vicky Rue; And where she stops nobody knows by Oliver Hailey, directed by Gordon Davidson; Ashes by David Rudkin, directed by Gordon Davidson; Three sisters by Anton Chekhov, directed by Edward Parone.
Arrangement: Arranged by the type of material.
- (115). Jacobs, Sally, 1932-. Four plays in repertory, Three sisters : printout notes, (signed), 2011 May. 1 folders
- (116). Four plays : correspondence, 1975-1976. 1 folders
Also includes contract.
- (117). Three sisters : designs, 1976. 1 folders
Includes preliminary sketches of color scheme and photocopies of costume designs.
- (118). Four plays : photographs, 1975. 1 folders
- (119). Four plays : programs, 1975. 1 folders
- Series: LI. Biographical material
Scope and Contents: Includes transcripts of interviews, draft of chapters of autobiography, compact disc
of oral history project, and other material.
- (276). Jacobs, Sally, 1932-.Resumé, 2011 and undated. 1 folders
Also includes photographs.
- (277). Jacobs, Sally, 1932-. [Autobiography] : typescript, (signed), 2011 and undated. 1 folders
Drafts of Chapter one of autobiography, and introduction to a book on stage design.
- (278). Jacobs, Sally, 1932-. Jimmy Wax : typescript ( carbon copy), undated. 1 folders
Essay written for a book of tribute to Jacobs agent.
- (281). British Library. National Sound Archive. Oral history of British theatre designs : Sally Jacobs : interview transcript, 2006. 1 folders
Letters, agreement, and transcript of Sally Jacobs interview with Elizabeth Wright for the program.
- (282). Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design (London, England). Oral History Project : Sally Jacobs : compact disc, 2011 November 9. 1 folders
- (283). Theatre Museum (Victoria & Albert Museum). Sally Jacobs interview with Michael Kustow : video recording, 1999 November 9. 1 videotapes