MS Thr 941
Popular entertainment printed materials, 1776-1953: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Thr 941
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Popular entertainment printed materials,
Quantity: 1 collection (2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English and German.
Abstract: Miscellaneous printed materials relating to popular entertainment.
Various donors, various dates. See items below for accession information.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
Popular Entertainment Printed Materials, 1776-1953 (MS Thr 941). Harvard Theatre Collection,
Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Organized into the following series:
- I. Printed items concerning panoramas, exhibitions, cycloramas, wax-works, and dioramas
- II. Miscellaneous printed items concerning popular entertainment
Series I includes printed advertising materials including broadsides, catalogs, fliers,
handbills, pamphlets, leaflets, playbills, for artistic exhibitions, dioramas, cycloramas,
panoramas, and wax-work exhibitions. Also includes panoramas for Japanesen Spiel in
Switzerland, and letters and clippings concerning panorama exhibitions and panorama
Series II are folders that were originally set-up in the Harvard Theatre Collection
as "catch-all" folders for printed ephemeral items concerning popular entertainment.
Includes a variety of formats such as: clippings (most with illustrations), prints,
lithographs, etchings, engravings, handbills, playbills, and photomechanical prints.
Topics are wide ranging including: apes, carnival, cats, elephants, fairs, fencing,
horses, oxen, Paris Exhibition, robots, serpents, showboats, trees, zebras, and many
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- Series: I. Panoramas, exhibitions, cycloramas, wax-works, and dioramas
Arrangement: Arranged alphabetically title.
Scope and Contents: Printed advertising materials including broadsides, catalogs, fliers, handbills, pamphlets,
leaflets, playbills, for artistic exhibitions, dioramas, cycloramas, panoramas, and
wax-work exhibitions. Also includes panoramas for Japanesen Spiel in Switzerland,
and letters and clippings concerning panorama exhibitions and panorama artists.
- (1). Animated models at Stickland's Grand National Exhibition of mechanical wax-work! : program, 1866. 1 folders
Printed by: Western Gazette Steam-Printing Offices, Yeovil.
- (2). Benjamin West's last grand picture of Death on the pale horse is now open at The Diorama,
corner of Tremont and Boylston streets : broadside playbill, undated. 1 folders
Printer: W. W. Clapp.
On verso is playbill for: The magnificent panorama of Athens, painted by Messrs. Barker & Burford, is open at
the Riding School, ...
Immediate Source of Acquisition: Purchase with the Kittredge fund; received: 1919 October 17.
- (7). Description of the panorama of the superb city of Mexico, and the surrounding scenery,
... by Robert Burford, Esq. from drawing ... Mr. W. Bullock, Jr. now open for public
inspection at the Rotunda, New-York : pamphlet, 1828. 1 folders
Printed by: E. Conrad, New York.
- (8). Description of the panoramic view of the palace and gardens of Versailles, painted
by Mr. Vanderlyn; the original ... : pamphlet, 1819. 1 folders
Printed by: E. Conrad, New York.
- (9). Description of the view of Athens, and surrounding country; with an improved explanation,
giving a complete outline of the whole picture ... This panorama was painted by "Messrs.
Barker and Burford ..." : pamphlet, 1818. 1 folders
Includes folded leaf of plates.
Printed by Jas. Adlard and Sons, London.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: Part of the Winslow Lewis Tracts. Gift of The New England Historic Genealogical Society; received: 1917 November 26.
- (10). Description of the view of Naples, and surrounding scenery; now exhibiting in Henry
Aston Barker and J. Burford's panorama, Strand : pamphlet, 1821. 1 folders
Printed by: J. and C. Adlard, London.
- (11). Descriptive catalogue of the Cyclorama of the Battles of Vicksburg fought May 22,
1863, by the Army of the Tennessee ... permanently located on the corner of Seventh
Ave and Fifty-fifth Street, New York ... Columbia Panorama Co., proprietors : pamphlet, 1886. 1 folders
Published by The Vicksburg Cyclorama Co., N.Y.
- (13). Exhibition of Monitor, Merrimac, &c. on Frog Pond! Boston Common! Benefit of Sailors'
Fair! : handbill, 1864. 1 folders
Printed by: Frederick A. Searle, Boston.
- (14). For a few days only. A journey to Paris and to the Pere La Chase, without leaving
Hull, ... the 8th of June, 1829, at the Assembly Room, North-Street, ... Mons. Choffin,
(the celebrated engineer of Bonaparte, in just arrived with the model of Paris and
its suburbs ... : handbill, 1829. 1 folders
Printed by: T. Topping, Hull.
- (15). For exhibition, three select paintings; Two of them commemorating the greatest Pomp
and Grandeur ever ... represent Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt, ... to be seen at the Neptune
Inn, Whitefriargate : handbill, 1812. 1 folders
Printed by: R. Peck, Hull.
- (16). Japanesen Festspiel Schwyz 1883 : panorama, 1883. 1 folders
A. Kaelin, lithographer.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
: A panoramic strip of printed images representing carnival.
- (17). Japanesen Spiel in Schwyz : panorama, 1874. 1 folders
A panoramic strip of printed images representing carnival. Title taken from manuscript
annotations on cover.
- (18). Last day (but one) of the deluge, at Van Horne Hall, ... : handbill, 1854. 1 folders
Printed in Schenectady, New York.
- (19). Latting Observatory! Now open entrance on 42nd Street, opposite the Crystal Palace : handbill, 1853. 1 folders
- (21). Madame Tussaud's & Son's Catalogue : catalog, 1869. 1 folders
- (22). Madame Tussaud's & Son's Exhibition Catalogue : catalog, 1873. 1 folders
- (24). Madame Tussaud's Exhibition official souvenir & guide : catalog, 1939 August. 1 folders
- (25). Meech's Wax-Work Exhibition : handbill, 1875. 1 folders
Printed by: Merser & Gardner, London.
- (27). Mrs. Salmon's Wax-work : printed article, undated. 1 folders
From: The Mirror, pages 448-449.
- (29). Panorama of the Seige of Paris. Painted by F. Philippoteaux, ... With a plan of the
Battle of January 19th, 1871 : flier, 1882. 1 folders
Printed by: The Panorama Company, New York.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: Original was 25 pages; this copy is incomplete, text includes title page, and pages
15-16 only. Fold-out map/plan is included, as well as portrait of the artist.
- (30). The Rhine from Mayence to Cologne. Exhibition to Halenza's Rhine-Panorama : pamphlet, ca. 1890-1900. 1 folders
Printed by: J. Gottsleben.