MS Am 800.12
Rice, Franklin P. (Franklin Pierce), 1844-1919. Franklin Pierce Rice papers, 1844-1912:
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Am 800.12
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Rice, Franklin P. (Franklin Pierce), 1852-1919.
Title: Franklin Pierce Rice papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Papers of Worcester, Massachusetts printer and historian, Franklin Pierce Rice. Also
includes papers of and about Eli Thayer (1819-1899), an abolitionist and member of
the US House of Representatives from Worcester, from 1857 to 1861.
No accession number. Gift of Mary B. Rice from the library of Franklin P. Rice; received: 1922 May 20.
Recataloged from US 13531.5.35*; transfer from Widener Library, date unknown.
93M-132. Transfer from Widener Library as US 13635.5.1, "Cuttings relating to Eli Thayer"; received in Houghton: 1961. This originally was
a gift to Widener Library from Mrs. Mary B. Rice, 1930 March 18.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt.
Collection was not fully cataloged until December of 2012.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
Franklin Pierce Rice Papers, 1844-1912 (MS Am 800.12). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
See also: HOLLIS for many publications printed or written by Franklin Pierce Rice.
Eli Thayer papers and clippings are held by Brown University, Kansas State Historical
Society, and American Antiquarian Society.
Some materials were formerly part of this accession, but were cataloged separately:
- MS Am 1018 for another copy of a typescript of his The life of Eli Thayer
- MS Am 1017 for manuscripts of Catalogue and abstracts of the Eli Thayer papers
Franklin Pierce Rice (1852-1919) was born in Marlborough, Massachusetts, the only
son of Mary Berry Felton Rice (b.1834) and Minot Rice. Franklin RIce was a self-taught printer, author, historian, and publisher who transcribed,
printed, and preserved vital records from Massachusetts and was co-founder, in 1875,
of the Worcester Society of Antiquity (which later became the Worcester Historical Museum). Rice worked on an extensive biography of Eli Thayer.
Eli Thayer (1819-1899) was a member of the US House of Representatives from 1857-1861. He was
born in Mendon, Massachusetts, graduated from Worcester Academy in 1840, from Brown
University in 1845, and in 1848 founded the Oread Collegiate Institute, a school for
young women in Worcester, Massachusetts. He organized the Massachusetts Emigrant Aid
Company to send anti-slavery settlers to the Kansas Territory with the purpose of
securing the admission of Kansas to the Union as a free state. Thayer was also involved
in establishing an antislavery colony, the town of Ceredo, in 1857 in what is now
Organized into the following series:
Some of these papers were microfilmed as No. 97-1804 prior to full cataloging in November
of 2012. The current arrangement of the papers, is not the same as the microfilm copy.
- I. Papers for The life of Eli Thayer
- II. Franklin Pierce Rice miscellaneous papers
- III. Eli Thayer papers
The bulk of the collection is manuscripts, drafts, clippings, transcripts, and notes
for Rice's Life of Eli Thayer. Also includes: letters sent to Rice, visiting cards, examples of printing done by
Rice's company, and material pertaining to the Emigrant Aid Society which Thayer founded during the struggle for Kansas. Also contains copies of vital
records from towns in Worcester County that Rice used in other publications, and miscellaneous
There also are original papers of Eli Thayer that apparently were collected by Rice
during his research. These include letters and transcripts of letters sent to Thayer
(including 2 from Booker T. Washington), a ticket to an address, his 1844 Brown University
exhibition program, certificates given to Thayer from the Kansas State Historical
Society, galley proofs of Thayer writings, and other printed items relating to Thayer.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- Series: III. Eli Thayer papers
Arrangement: Arranged alphabetically by author or title.
Scope and Contents: Some of these papers were assembled by Rice while researching his biography of Eli
Thayer. The rest of the papers appear to have been acquired by Rice, but came in accession
93M-132; these items have been marked with this number in order to distinguish the
2 groups. Some of the 93M-132 papers are about Eli Thayer, not by him.
- (81). Birney, William. Autograph manuscript letter (signed) to Eli Thayer; Washington, D.C., 1896 March 19. 1 folders
- (82). Boston Daily Traveller. Autograph manuscript letter (signed) to Eli Thayer; Boston, 1891 January 6. 1 folders
With envelope. From Albert Edward Winship.
- (83). Boston Young Men's Congress. Address by Hon. Eli Thayer of Worcester ... : printed ticket, 1888 April 9. 1 folders
- (84). Brown University. Senior exhibition, on Saturday, November 30, 1844 : printed program with manuscript annotations, 1844. 1 folders
Lists Eli Thayer giving performance of The restless spirit of society.
- (85). Envelopes sent to Eli Thayer, 1892-1895 and undated. 1 folders
- (86). Hale, E. C. Autograph manuscript letter (signed) to Eli Thayer; Boston, 1889 March 15. 1 folders
- (87). Kansas State Historical Society (Topeka, Kansas). Autograph manuscript letters (signed by Franklin G. Adams) to Eli Thayer; Topeka, 1879-1888. 1 folders
3 letters and 3 gift acknowledgment cards. 93M-132.
- (88). Kansas State Historical Society (Topeka, Kansas). Donation to the library... by Eli Thayer : certificates for donations, 1888 February 9 and 10. 1 folders
- (89). Kansas State Historical Society (Topeka, Kansas). Honorary membership for Eli Thayer : printed certificate with manuscript additions, 1879 May 26. 1 folders
Signed by Charles Robinson and Franklin G. Adams.
With an envelope.
- (91). McMaster, John B. Autograph manuscript letter (signed) to Eli Thayer; Philadelphia, 1896 March 16. 1 folders
- (92). New York Bureau of Revision. Printed leaflet sent to Eli Thayer, 1894. 1 folders
With envelope. From Titus Munson Coan.
- (93). Paddick?, C. Autograph manuscript letter (signed) to Eli Thayer; Salt Lake City, 1885 July 10. 1 folders
- (94). R., F. P. Autograph manuscript postcard (signed) to Eli Thayer; Worcester, 1892. 1 folders
- (96). Searl, A. D. Manuscript letter transcript copies to Eli Thayer and others; Salt Lake City and Leadville, 1885. 1 folders
- (97). Thayer, Eli, 1819-1899. Agreement between Isaac Davis & Eli Thayer for redemption of the Oread Estate : manuscript
(signed) contract, 1864 August 17. 1 folders
- (98). Thayer, Eli, 1819-1899. Horace Greeley and Kansas : galley proofs, 1888. 1 folders
2 sets of proofs. Includes some manuscript annotations.
- (99). Thayer, Eli, 1819-1899. Letter to the Editor of the Spy. Ninth in the series ... : galley proof, undated. 1 folders
- (100). Thayer, Eli, 1819-1899. Speech of Hon. Eli Thayer, delivered to Mechanics Hall, Worcester, August 10, 1860,
in defense of free labor ... : printed, 1860. 1 folders
- (101). Thayer, Eli, 1819-1899, recipient. Letters (printed) from various correspondents; various places, 1855-1887. 1 folders
Letters to Thayer from: Charles H. Branscomb, Le Baron Russell, Cassius M. Clay, General Devens, Theodore Parker, F. E. Spinner, and others.
- (102). Union Pacific Railway Company. Autograph manuscript and typescript letter (signed) to Charles Robinson; Omaha, 1885 May 22. 1 folders
From S. T. Smith, with note forwarding this to Thayer, from Charles Robinson.
- (103). Utah Commission. The Edmunds Act reports : printed pamphlet, 1883-1884. 1 folders
- (104). Washington, Booker T., 1856-1915. Autograph manuscript letters (signed) to Eli Thayer; Tuskegee, Alabama, 1896. 1 folders
2 letters, 1 envelope.
- (105). Worcester, Massachusetts newspapers concerning Eli Thayer : printed newspapers, 1860 August - November. 1 folders