MS Am 2373
William Dean Howells Memorial (Kittery Point, Me.). William Dean Howells Memorial
(Kittery Point, Me.) memorabilia, jewelry and silver tableware, 1864-1897: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: z [shelved in Z-closet]
Call No.: MS Am 2373
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: William Dean Howells Memorial (Kittery Point, Me.).
Title: William Dean Howells Memorial (Kittery Point, Me.) memorabilia, jewelry and silver
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.25 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Memorabilia formerly owned by the William Dean Howells family, transferred in 1990
from the William Dean Howells Memorial, Kittery Point, Maine.
90Z-3. Transferred from the William Dean Howells Memorial (Kittery Point, Me.). ; received: 1990 May.
Original list moved to curatorial file.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
William Dean Howells Memorial (Kittery Point, Me.) Memorabilia, Jewelry and Silver
Tableware, 1864-1897 (MS Am 2851). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
The William Dean Howells Memorial House is located at 36 Pepperrell Road in Kittery
Point, Maine. The writer and critic William Dean Howells occupied this gracious two-story
Victorian house during the early 1900's. His descendant John N. M. Howells donated
the house to Harvard University in 1977. The property is maintained as a memorial
to the author and is administered by a five-member committee.
Arranged in order as received in repository.
Memorabilia formerly owned by the William Dean Howells family. Includes: a Saint-Gaudens
medal of Mildred Howells, 2 women's brooches, a man's scarab stickpin, 4 silver napkin
rings, and a silver serving spoon.
- (1). Saint-Gaudens, Augustus, 1848-1907, designer. Mildred Howells : medal, 1897. 1 items bronze ; 7.5 cm. (diameter) :
Profile bust portrait, facing right, of Mildred Howells, the daughter of William Dean
Inscription around the border of the medal: MILDRED - HOWELLS - MDCCCXCVII - A -
ST - G.
Medal is mounted in green leather case, 13 x 13 cm.
- (2). Woman's brooch enclosing strands of white hair, undated. 1 items gold, garnets, pearls ; 4 x 3.5 cm. :
- (4). Man's scarab stickpin; New York, before 1878. 1 items gold, soapstone ; 8.5 x 1.5 cm. :
In original box from Tiffany & Co. with printed text: Union Square, New York ... Grand Prix Exposition Universelle 1878.
Box also includes manuscript annotations concerning origin of pin: Scarab pin given
W. D. Howells by Charles Dudley Warner. Worn when summoned to meet the Crown prince Frederick of Germany in Venice at Lady B. [rest is illegible].
- (5). Silver napkin ring inscribed: W. D. H., undated. 1 items silver ; 4.5 (diameter) x 3 (depth) cm. :
Initials for William Dean Howells.
- (6). Silver napkin ring inscribed: Lilly and Winifred, undated. 1 items silver ; 3 x 6 x 1.5 (depth) cm. :
Oval shape in same pattern as items (7) and (9).
- (8). Silver napkin ring inscribed: E. G. M., undated. 1 items silver ; 4 (diameter) x 2.5 (depth) cm. :
Initials probably for Elinor Gertrude Mead [Howells], wife of William Dean Howells.
- (9). Sterling silver serving spoon, 1864. 1 items silver ; 21.5 cm. :
In same pattern as items (6) and (7).