MS Am 2876
Budenz, Julia. Julia Budenz papers, circa 1960-2010: PRELIMINARY BOX LIST.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Am 2876
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Budenz, Julia.
Title: Julia Budenz papers,
Quantity: 46 linear feet (44 boxes)
Language of materials: English
Abstract: Preliminary box list only for personal and professional papers of the American poet
2011M-50. Gift of Emily Lyle; received: 2012 April 9.
Accessioned by: Melanie Wisner.
RESTRICTION: Correspondence, journals, and medical records, as noted below, are closed
until 2025 except where the author of letters (or the author's executor) has given
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
Copyright in the works of Julia Budenz is held by the President and Fellows of Harvard
College. For permission to quote or reproduce from manuscript material of Budenz,
contact the Curator of Modern Books and Manuscripts, Houghton Library.
Julia Budenz (1934-2010) was a poet and classics scholar. She was at one time an Ursuline
nun; served as assistant to I. Bernard Cohen at Harvard University in the history
of science; and taught classics at New Rochelle, Colby, and Berea. Her life's work,
a poem titled The Gardens of Flora Baum, was published in December 2011.
Arrangement is a rough box list only and materials are not fully cataloged. Readers
should note that when fully processed, the order of materials may change.
Includes the final typescript, drafts and working papers for The Gardens of Flora Baum, family and literary correspondence, biographical material, journals, and printed
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- Gardens of Flora Baum : master typescript Books 1-5. Box 1
- Gardens of Flora Baum : drafts Books 1-3 A, B. Box 2
- Gardens of Flora Baum : drafts Books 1-3 B, C, D. Box 3
- Gardens of Flora Baum : drafts Books 1-3 D, 3 A. Box 4
- Gardens of Flora Baum : drafts Book 3 A, B. Box 5
- Gardens of Flora Baum : drafts Book 4. Box 6
- Gardens of Flora Baum : drafts Books 4-5. Box 7
- Gardens of Flora Baum : drafts Book 5. Box 8
- Gardens of Flora Baum : planning A, B. Box 9
- Gardens of Flora Baum : planning B, C. Box 10
- Gardens of Flora Baum : planning C, D, courses. Box 11
- Gardens of Flora Baum : planning D, courses. Box 12
- Early poetry : general. Box 12
- Early poetry : The Call; and offprints by Lyle, Cohen. Box 13
- Rome : Carmina Carmentis. Box 18
- Rome : Homer & Tasso (A). Box 19
- Rome : Homer & Tasso (B). Box 20
- Rome : Rome and Italy. Box 22
- Rome : Virgil and Italian authors. Box 23
- Rome : Leopardi and Manzoni. Box 24
- Notes : including Greece and Britain. Box 26
- Courses and student papers : A. Box 27
- Courses and student papers : A (continued). Box 28
- Courses and student papers : B. Box 28
- CV, etc. : with her publications. Box 33
- Readings and conferences. Box 35
- Last books and papers; liturgies : with two pairs of eyeglasses. Box 38
- Published journals with GFB poems, books : A; includes Poetry Porch. Box 39
- Published journals with GFB poems, books : B. Box 40
- Correspondence : Mary Freeman. Box 41