MS Thr 901
Lectures, managers, and management bureaus collection, 1888-1939: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Thr 901
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Lectures, managers, and management bureaus collection,
Date(s): 1888-1939 and undated.
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.25 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Printed advertisements, announcements, broadsides, programs, catalogs, etc ... for
lectures and other adult-education related entertainment.
The majority of this material is from: No accession number. Gift of Col. Henry J. Coolidge, from the files of his father, Henry D. Coolidge, via Hans W. Miller; received: 1951 June 25. [See curatorial file for donor letter].
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
Lectures, Managers, and Management Bureaus Collection, 1888-1939 (MS Thr 901). Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
This collection primarily includes items related to the lyceum movement involving
organizations that sponsored public programs for self-improvement, which flourished
in the mid-19th century and early 20th-century in the United States. These lectures,
dramatic performances, debates, etc... were meant to improve the social, intellectual,
and moral fabric of society. Some of the most successful agencies sponsoring such
activities were the Boston Lyceum Bureau (est. 1868) and the Redpath Lyceum Bureau
(est. 1874), both founded by James Redpath. The Redpath organizations represented
figures such as Mark Twain, Julia Ward Howe, Charles Sumner, Susan B. Anthony, and
prominent others. This collection also includes printed materials concerning management
agencies and managers that were not part of the lyceum circuit, but also provided
lecturers and entertainment for adult-education.
Arranged alphabetically by name of management bureau or sole manager. Miscellaneous
material is at the end.
Includes advertisements, announcements, and catalogs for adult-education related lectures and other entertainment, in the form of printed
fliers, circulars, programs, pamphlets, newspapers, etc... Most concern the Boston
or New York City areas. Includes management agencies of A. A. Lovett, Boston Young
Men's Christian Association Entertainment Bureau, Robertson Lyceum Bureau, New York
and Brooklyn Entertainment Bureau, People's Church Lecture Bureau, Redpath Lyceum
Bureau, Slayton Lyceum Bureau, among many others.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- (1). A. A. Lovett, manager. Miscellaneous fliers, circulars, and pamphlets, 1889-1890 and undated. 1 folders
- Herbert Stanley Renton's brilliantly illuminated stories.
- (2). Boston Young Men's Christian Association. Entertainment Bureau. Miscellaneous fliers, circulars, and pamphlets, 1889-1891 and undated. 1 folders
- Arrangement of evening educational classes. Season of 1889-1890.
- The Boylston Concert Company of Boston.
- Entertainment Bureau. Prospectus for season 1889-1890.
- Entertainment Bureau. Prospectus for season 1890-1891.
- Season 1889-1890. The Boston Rivals.
- Season 1889-1890. Macy-Ariel. Combination.
- (3). D. W. Robertson, manager and The Robertson Lyceum Bureau. Miscellaneous fliers, circulars, and pamphlets, 1889-1891 and undated. 1 folders
- Fourth Season. The New York English Ballad Company.
- Miss Blanche Taylor. Season of 1890-1891.
- Mr. J. Williams Macy, humorist and buffo basse.
- Musical novelties for the season 1889-1890.
- Season 1888-1889. ...D. W. Robertson, musical artist The tumbleronicon.
- Wm. B. Green, The Judge, reciter and story teller.
- (4). New York and Brooklyn Entertainment Bureau. Miscellaneous fliers, circulars, and pamphlets, 1889-1890 and undated. 1 folders
- Announcements for season, 1889-1890.
- Ideal Concert Sextet...Third Season, 1889-1890.
- Spring announcement, [no year].
- (5). People's Church Lecture Bureau, Boston, Mass. Miscellaneous fliers, circulars, and pamphlets, undated. 1 folders
- Bright side of life in Libby Prison; Chaplain McCabe.
- Emma Manning Huntley of Boston...
- Miss Ella M. Chamberlm, popular recitationist of Atlantic City...
- Mrs. Alice J. Osborne of Boston...
- ...Rev. J. H. Vincent, D. D. ...
- (6). Redpath Lyceum Bureau. Miscellaneous fliers, circulars, and pamphlets, 1889-1890 and undated. 1 folders
- Art lectures by W. M. R. French.
- Irish National Concert Co.
- Leland T. Powers Entertainments.
- (7). Slayton Lyceum Bureau. Miscellaneous fliers, circulars, and pamphlets, 1889-1891 and undated. 1 folders
- A. Miner Griswold's Illustrated Tour 'Round the World.
- Alphabetical list of talent season 1889-1890.
- Col. J. P. Sanford, traveler, lecturer, humorist.
- Hon. R. G. Horr... The famous wit and orator.
- Illustrated popular science lectures. Prof. John B. DeMotte... 3 copies.
- The light-house, the sentinel of the sea
- The lyceum favorite. Geo. R. Wendling. 2 copies.
- Miss Olof Krarer, the native Esquimaux lady.
- R. L. Cumnock, A. M. ... humorous, dramatic and heroic readings.
- The renowned traveler and humorist, Col. J. P. Sanford.
- Robert Niven of London, England.
- The Schubert Quartette of Chicago.
- Season of 1890-1891...fourth season. The Swedish Quartet.
- The Slayton Lyceum Bureau offers its regular circulars and lithographs free! ...
- (8). The White Entertainment Bureau. Season 1925-1926 and undated. 1 folders
- (9). Miscellaneous fliers, circulars, and pamphlets, 1889-1939 and undated. 1 folders
- Alber & Wickes, Inc. Burton Holmes, America's foremost traveler and raconteur touring picturesque Germany,
- Alfred Hays, limited. Entertainers and entertainments provided, 1931 August.
- American Lecture Associations. The Bureau and Platform, 1889 October.
- Cecilia Ladies Quartette, undated.
- Clarence Pullen, ex-surveyor general of New Mexico...illustrated lectures, undated.
- Eaton Entertainment Bureau. Prospectus, 1890-1891.
- Edward B. Perry, concert pianist and teacher of piano-forte, undated.
- Edward Baxter Perry, concert pianist and lecturer, undated.
- Henry W. Tewksbury's lectures. Season of , 1890-1891.
- J. S. Vale, lecture and concert manager. Information of lecture committees! Season 1889-1890.
- John E. Pinkham, manager. Miss Fay Davis, undated.
- Mr. N. J. Corey of Boston. Illustrated musical lectures..., undated.
- Mrs. Nella Brown-Pond in poetic, dramatic, and humorous recitals..., 1889-1890.
- Mrs. Nella Brown-Pond personal endorsements, undated.
- Ober Lecture Agency. Ober lectures, 1889-1890.
- Ovide Musin concerts, 1890 October.
- Parkyn, Ch. C., manager. The Bernhard Listemann Club of Boston. Eleventh season, 1889-1890.
- Phila May grand concerts of Boston. Second annual tour of 1890-1891.
- Ragan lectures, season 1889-1890.