MS Typ 1155
Easton, Phoebe Jane. Phoebe Jane Easton research collection on marbled paper, circa
1800-2003 (MS Typ 1155): Guide
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Typ 1155
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Phoebe Jane Easton papers and research collection on marbled paper
Date(s): circa 1800-2003
Quantity: 10.5 linear feet (11 boxes)
Language of materials: Materials in English and Turkish.
Abstract: Phoebe Jane Easton personal papers and research files relating to marbled papers.
2012MH-1. Gift of Katharine Easton; received: 2012 August 3 and October 26.
2018MH-12. Gift of John W. Benson; received 2018 April 27.
Accessioned by: Melanie Wisner
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
Collection is open for research.
Phoebe Jane Easton was a collector and historian of marbled papers and author of Marbling,
a History and a Bibliography (Los Angeles, 1983). She died in 2006.
Minimally processed; in original order.
Collection includes articles, notebooks, correspondence, compositions, slides, and
Includes audiovisual and/or digital media: audiocassette.
- Series: Manila folders from Phoebe's desk filing cabinet Box 01
- Manila folder, Album Literature. Notes.
- Letter to PJE from Shelagh Smith, Bookbinder (loose letter)
- Letter from Nedim Sonmez to PJE, April 16, 1987
- Reply to Yvonne and Nedim from PJE, May 4, 1987
- Priority Mail envelope re: Ferudun Ozgoren papers forwarded to PJE from Muir Dawson
- Letter to PJE from Mimi Schleicher, dated December 1, 1992
- Photocopy of article, American Porcelain, about Eileen Richardson.
- Iris Nevins (manila folder) correspondence, notes.
- Tini Miura (manila folder) correspondence, notes.
- Milena Hughes (manila folder)
- Flavio Aquilina (Italy) (manila folder)
- India (manila envelope) correspondence from PJE re her dates in India to meet people
- Diane Maurer (manila folder)
- Rosamond Loring (manila folder)
- Kitty Maryatt (manila folder) about calligraphy books
- Laura and Valerian Lada-Mocarski Antique Paper Collection (manila folder)
- Heyeck Press (manila folder)
- Don Guyot (manila folder)
- Sukey Hughes, paper artist (manila folder)
- Georgiana Greenwood (loose article)
- Government Printing Office (manila folder)
- Guild of Book Workers - (manila folder) newsletters and correspondence
- List of slides shown at Santa Fe conference
- Fritz Eberhardt (manila folder)
- Deborah Evetts (manila folder) correspondence
- Harry Dougherty, DDS (manila folder)
- Phoebe Jane Easton, exhibit at Doheny Library, University of So. California (manila
folder) correspondence, notes
- The Age of Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent (manila folder) flyers for the show, list
of lecturers, notes, correspondence 1997
- Commercial Marbling in the United States (manila folder)
- Reviews of Phoebe Easton's book, Marbling. (manila folder)
- Lectures on Calligraphy (manila folder) notes.
- Opening Talk by PJE, opening remarks for marbling seminar, Santa Fe, 1989 (manila
- Terry Harlow (manila envelope)
- Marbler's Gathering, Gatlinberg, TN (2002) (manila folder)
- Third International Marbler's Gathering (August 1995) (manila folder)
- International Marbler's Gathering, San Francisco (August 1992) (manila folder)
- International Marbler's Gathering, Santa Fe (August 1989) (manila folder)
- Fourth Marbler's Gathering, Instanbul, 1997 (manila folder)
- International Marbler's Gathering (2002) in Priority Mail envelope, includes Society
of Marbling letter, 2003.
- Marbling Workshops and Exhibits (manila folder)
- Guild of Bookworkers (slim manila folder) Looks like includes text of PJE speech.
- Bird and Bull Press, Henry Morris (manila folder)
- Jake Benson (two manila folders, text of a speech given by Jake)
- Ingeborg Borjeson (bookbinder) (manila folder) correspondence
- Series: Manila folders from Phoebe's desk filing cabinet Box 02
- Article, Anonymous, "Buchbinder-Buntpapier," in German from Archiv Fur Buchbinderei.
- Article, Aline Brandauer, "The Alchemy and the Craft, Paper Marbling by Pam Smith,"
from New Mexico Craft, Autumn 1980 (No volume number.)
- Article, John Beckman, "Turkish Paper - Marbled Paper," from History of Inventions
and Discoveries, 1817.
- Article, "Specialty Papers, Their Properties and Applications," Robert H. Mosher,
- Article, Francis Bacon, "Sulva Sylvarum," London, 1670.
- Article, "Buntpapiere - Kunstwerke der Papierveredlung," pages 11-13, 1961.
- Article, Henri Bouchot, "De La Reliure, Exemples a imiter ou a rejeter," Paris 1891.
- Article, Geraldaine Cashin, "The Cockerell Bindery," from Crafts, March/April 1981.
- Article, Charles Chapman, "Marbled Paper," 1926.
- Article, Mei-Mei Chan, "The Crafty Art of Marbling," USA Today, 1983.
- Article, Ephraim Chambers, FRS, Cycloopaedia, or an Universal Dictionary of Arts and
Sciences, London, 1743.
- Article, Gail G. Ball, "Marbled Paper for Attractive Envelope Linings, The School
of Arts Magazine, January 1932.
- Article, H. Clouzot et Ch. Follot, "Histoire du Papier Peint en France," Paris, 1935.
- Article/Photocopy to PJE from Don Guyot, Cooley's Cyclopaedia of Practical Receipts,
Appleton New York, 1880.
- Article, Cowie's Bookbinders Manual, London, 1860.
- Article, Benton Court, "Cornstarch Patterning," 1929.
- Article, Edward Craig, "Designing for Moving Pictures," 1941.
- Article, W.J.E. Crane, "Bookbinding for Amateurs," London
- Article, Thompson Cummins, "Book Making," September 1979
- Article, Sydney Cockerell, "Marbling Paper," (1952) and obituary, 1988.
- Article, Anne Chambers, "Techniques of Marbling Paper, Matrix 3, November 1983.
- Article, Cyril Davenport, "The Decoration of Book Edges," 1942.
- Notes, manila envelope, says "Devauchelle" on the front, handwritten in PJE's hand.
- Article, Geert Van Daal, "Marbled Papers."
- Article, Cyril Davenport, "The Book," London, 1907.
- Article, Lewis F. Day, "The Art and Craft of Paper Staining," London, 1895.
- Photocopy, Roger Dean, "A Dragon's Dream Book," London, 1975.
- Article, Maurice Deribere, "La Coloration des Papiers," Paris, 1937.
- Photocopy, William Dick, Method of Marbling Books, 1870.
- Article, from Diderot's Encyclopaedia, "Marbreur de papier ou dominotier," 1778.
- Article, Edith Diehl, "Bookbinding."
- Article, W.C. Doebbelin, "The Art of Marbling," London, 1910.
- Article, M.A. Doizy, "Le Papier Marbre," 1987.
- Article, Robert Dossie, "The Handmaid to the Arts," London, 1764.
- Article, Horst Drescher, "Der Regenbogenpapiermacher," 1986.
- Article, "Reviving Artful Craft of Marbling."
- Article, William Duff, Hints on marbling book edges, London, 1911.
- Article, Meiric K. Dutton, "Historical Sketch of Bookbinding As an Art," 1926.
- Article, Anneliese Duhmert, "Buchpflege, Eine Bibliographie," Stuttgart, 1963.
- Article, Michel Duval, "Les Papiers Marbres," from Metiers d'Art, 1981.
- Article, Ulla Ehrensvard, "Marmorerat papper, ebru, fran aldre tider,"
- Article, Elliot Collection, photocopies and PJE handwritten notes.
- Article, "Marbling," from Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1797.
- Articles, photocopies, Engelbrecht, Martin (Brother Christian) (manila folder)
- Article, E.A. Entwhisle, "The Hirsch Collection of Decorated Papers."
- Article, Svend Erickson, "Om Kattunpapir," (Block printed) 1960.
- Article, Barock Bis Jugendstil, "Europaische Buntpapiere," 1984.
- Article, Eugene Exman, "The Brothers Harper."
- Article, Eve Farson, "Great Fun, This Marbling!"
- Article, Otto Fischer, "Zum Chinesischen Stempel -- Und Holztafeldruck" 1940
- Article, Peter Frisch, "Die Kunst zu Marmorieren," 1938.
- Article, Otto Frode, "Die Buntpapiere," Leipzig, 1932.
- Article, H.P.R. Finberg, "The Hirsch collection of decorated papers," London, 1939.
- Article, M. Finckh Haelssig, "Die Herstellung von Buntpapier ..." Ravensburg.
- Article, Mirjam M. Foot, "The Olga Hirsch Collection of Decorated Papers,"
- Article, K. Marjorie Forsyth, "Bookbinding for Teachers, Students and Amateurs, 1932.
- Photocopy of book, Edouard Fournier, L'Art de La Reliure en France aux Derniers Siecles,
- Article, Anonymous, "French Marbled Papers," from Portfolio, 1951.
- Article, E. Gabelsberger, "Uber Vorsatzpapiere," Munich, 1900.
- Article, notes about Freer's acquisition of miniature paintings illustrating "Genji
- Article, Frank Di Giacomo, Marbleizing for Printshop, 1936.
- Text of Address by the Hon. A.E. Giegengack, "Progress in Graphic Arts Research from
the Viewpoint of the Government Printing Office," 2949.
- Article, G. Glaister, from An Enclopedia of the Book, 1960.
- Also letter from Glaister to PJE.
- Article, Otto Glaunning, Neues von Alter Embandkunst, 1939.
- Article, Nancy Gotler, "Coloring Future with Skills from Past."
- Articles and Letters from Government Printing Office.
- Annual Reports, Government Printing Office, 1986-1988. (I didnt read these, but I
think the reason PJE was interested is the GPO was producing marbled guest books for
the White House.)
- Article, Marci Greenwald, about Norma Rubovitz
- Thesis, Sue W. Greenleaf, University of Washington, "An Art Cirriculum Unit in Paper
Decoration, an Introduction to Marbling for the Secondary Level," June 1978.
- Article, Gabriele Grunebaum, "Buntpapier," 1982.
- Article, Bertrand Guegan, "History and Manufacturing of End Papers," 1929.
- Article, Bertrand Guegan, "Notes sur l'histoire et la fabrication des papiers de garde,"
- Photocopy of Book, articles, handwritten notes in PJE's hand, Genevieve Guilleminot-Chretien,
"Papiers Marbres Francais Reliures Princieres et Creations Contemporaines, 1987.
- DOEBBELIN, W.C., "Price List of 'Halfer' Marbling Gums and Directions How to Marble,"
Middleton, Massachusetts. (Phoebe had this file in the H section of her files, probably
because it has to do with the Halfer book, not the art supply catalog.)
- Photocopy of book, Joseph Halfer, Fur den Marmorierer, Neue technische Fortschritte
der Marmorierkunst. Reproduced from the original at the Huntington Library.
- GERMAN VERSION OF THE HALFER BOOK.
- Manila folder, "Halfer Project." The contents of this folder have to do with a project
PJE started, to produce and sell a facsimile edition of the famous Josef Halfer book,
Progress of the Marbling Art. The original book, published in the late 1880's, early
1890s, has purple ink for the text, and hand-tipped in examples of marbled papers.
PJE's intention was to publish a facsimile edition which would look exactly like the
original. Unfortunately, someone else had the same idea, and Richard Wolfe came out
with his Halfer facsimile before PJE could get hers into print. She had bought an
original edition of Halfer's book, which I own, 1893. The manila folder has some correspondence
relating to the discouraging news that the market will not have room for two versions
of the Halfer reprint.
- PHOTOCOPY OF BOOK, Joseph Halfer, The Progress of the Marbling Art, 1894.
- HALFER -- Letter to PJE from Muir Dawson (Phoebe's publisher) regarding an early printing
of the Halfer book ...
- HALFER -- "The Halfer Method," published by The Hostmann Printing Ink Co, London,
- HALFER -- Doebbelin price list.
- Article, Frank Hamel, "The Art of Book-Edge Decoration," and letter to PJE.
- Article, Albert Haemmerle, "Buntpapier, Geschichte und Techniken," 1966.
- Printed article, presentation cover, by Robin Heyeck, Offprint from Matrix 8, "Marbling
As Book Illustration."
- Plastic ziplock, one piece of gray/white suminagashi. I'm pretty sure this was marbled
by Robin Heyeck of The Heyeck Press. The pattern matches that of her book, MARBLING
AT THE HEYECK PRESS. Short handwritten thank-you note to PJE, signed Robin, about
some materials PJE shared.
- Booklet, Olga Hirsch, "Holzschnitt-Umschlage und Buntpapiere," Cambridge, 1958.
- Article, Herbert P. Horne, "The Binding of Books, New York, 1927.
- Article, Franz Hodes, "Die Buntpapiersammlung der Frankforter Stadtbibliothek," 1937.
- Article, Marilyn Hoffman, "Marbleizing for a New Traditional Craft."
- Article, Sandra Holzman, "Here's How to Do It."
- Article, Susan B. Howard, "How marbled papers are made," from The Spinning Wheel,
- Article, Bernard Hughes, "English Marbled Papers," from Country Life, 1952.
- Article, Dard Hunter, "Papermaking. The history and technique of an ancient craft."
New York, 1947.
- Article, Albert Haemmerle, notes and photocopies in a Fine Print envelope.
- Article, Hampson, Bettridge & Co, Ltd. "Instructions for Marbling."
- Article, Mary Hansen, photocopy of article in German.
- Article, John Andrew Arnett (Hannet), "Bibliopegia, or the Art of Book Binding," London,
- Article, Paul N. Hasluck, "Bookbinding."
- Article, Otto Hauptmann, forwarded to PJE from Richard Wolfe.
- Article, Henri Havard, "Dictionnaire de l'ameublement."
- Article, Hewitt- Bates, "Bookbinding, 2 methods ..."
- Article, Friedrick Hildebrand, "Blatter fur Buchgestaltung und Buchpflege."
- Article, Olga Hirsch, "Decorated Papers, "Alte Buntpapiere," 1957.
- Article, Anonymous, "History of Marbled Papers, 1890.
- Article, Dard Hunter, "A Bibliography of Marbled Paper," 1921.
- Article, A. Huxley, "Revival of Marbling," from House & Garden.
- Article, Johannes Hyltoft, "Bakkemarmor -- marmoret papir," 1968.
- Article, Roger Ingpen, "Decorated Papers," from The Fleuron, #2, 1924.
- Photocopy, Introduction, by Stephan Ipert, and first page of article, "Le papier decore,"
- Large envelope of correspondence to/from Stephan Ipert, pencil-written letter drafted
by William H. Easton in assistance to PJE, etc.
- Article, Alexander Jamieson, from A Dictionary of mechanical science, arts, and manufacturing,
and miscellaneous knowledge, London, 1827.
- Article, L. Janin, "Painting with Variations on the marbling technique." From the
magazine Leonardo, Autumn 1975.
- Article, Sean Jennet, "The Making of Books, Faber & Faber, London, 1951.
- Article, Pauline Johnson, "Art Tips for Bookbinding," from Design, 1965.
- Article, Pauline Johnson, "Creative Bookbinding, 1963.
- Article, Edward H. Knight, Knight's American Mechanical Dictionary, 1876.
- Article, E. Kretz, "Buntpapier aus Alter Und Neuer Zeit," 1927.
- Article, Louis H. Kinder, "Formulas for Bookbinders," East Autota, NY, 1905.
- PHOTOCOPY OF KINDER BOOK, letter from Peggy Skycraft to PJE.
- Photocopy, P. Kersten, "Historisches uberturkisches Papier und Marmorierkunst."
- Article, Paul Kersten, "Die Marmorierkunst," 1922, photocopies and PJE handwritten
- FOLDER, P. Kersten, Historischuber turkischespapier (typed notes).
- FOLDER, Paul Kersten, PJE handwritten notes.
- Article, P. Kersten, "Das vollkommenfte Verzeichnis der deutchen Literatur uber Buchbinderei
1644 bis 1917. Published by Wilhelm Knapp, Halle (Saale), 1917.
- Article, J. Kunckel, "Ars Vitrarius."
- Article, J. Kunckel, "Ars Vitraria."
- Article, R.W. Kerr, "History of the Government Printing Office .... 1789 - 1881."
- Article, Kantrowitz, "The Process of Marbling Paper." Reference in PJE handwriting
to "Survey of Persian Art, Arthur Upham Pope, 1924.
- Article, Fritz Krinitz, "Buchbinderlehrling," 1939.
- Article, LaBarre, from Dictionary and Encyclopedia of Papermaking, Amsteredam, 1952.
- Article, Wilhelm Lange, "Unsere Buntpapiere und ihre Technik," Wochenblatt fur Papierfabrikation,
No. 11, 1950.
- Article, Sofus Larsen and Kyster Anker, Danish 18th Century Bookbindings 1730 - 1780.
- Article, C.M. Littlejohn, "Marvels of Marbling," 1982.
- Typed transcript of an article, "The laboratory, or school of arts. 1739. Printed
for John James at Horace Head. London, 1739.
- Article, F.E. Lake, "Marbling," (reprinted for Dickenson Review).
- Article, L-Seb. LeNormand, Manuel Du Relieur, Dans Toutes Ses Parties, Paris 1931.
- Article, Margaret Lecky, "Santa With Portfolio."
- Definition from Lexikon des Gesamter Buchwesens, Leipzig, 1936 (defining Marmorieren,
- Article, Irvin Lathrop, "Why Not Try Marbling?" 1956.
- Article, Hans Loubier, "Der Bucheinband ..." 1926.
- Article, Heinrich Luers, "Das Rachwissen des Buchbinders."
- Article, Maria Luhr, "Bookbinding Master."
- Series: Manila folders from Phoebe's desk filing cabinet Box 03
- Article, Gabriel Magnien, "Vieux Papiers de Garde et de Couverture de Livres," From
the Olga Hisch collection?
- Article, Albert Maire, "Le Papier moderne, ses varietes et ses differents emplois,"
- Article, John Mason, "Bookbinding & Ruling," Vol. VI, London, 1933.
- Article, from Practical Magazine, "Marble Paper -- History and Manufacture," 1877.
- Article, Bob Fulkerson, from Inland Printer, "Marbling Magic," 1949.
- Article, Anonymous (Weale), "Marbled Paper," from The Athenaeum, 1889.
- Article, Thomas Martin, Circle of the Mechanical Arts, London, 1813.
- Article, Enid Marx, "Pattern Papers."
- Article, William F. Matthews, "Bookbinding."
- Article, Nancy McClelland, "The Dominaturs, inventors of wallpaper, from Arts & Decoration,
- NOTES, Merrifield, Mary P., refers to original treatises, dating from the 12th to
18th centuries on the arts of painting, London, John Murray, 1849 ...
- Article, M.A. McCorison, "Memoires of a Woman of Pleasure, or Fanny Hill in New England,"
American Book Collector magazine, May-June 1980.
- Article, Bernard Middleton, "Restoration of Leather Bindings."
- Article, Ira Moskowitz (ed.), Great Drawings of All Time, Plate 917, Tale of Genji.
- Article, Jean Maxwell, "How To Marble A Lampshade."
- BOOK PHOTOCOPY, James B. Nicholson, A Manual of the Art of Bookbinding, published
by Henry Carey Baird, Philadelphia, 1856.
- Article, Anonymous, "The Neglected Art of Paper Marbling in America," The British
- Article, Anonymous, "Neue Vorsatzpapiere," 1903.
- Iris Nevins, order sheets.
- Article, Iris Nevins, "From Mysterious Art to Sophisticated Profession."
- Article, Anonymous, "New Ways to Marbelize."
- Article, Eric P. Newman, "The Early Paper Money of America."
- Article, Thelma R. Newman, "Paper as Art and Craft."
- Article, Anonymous, "On improvements on the marbling of books and papers," The Franklin
- Copy of Invitation -- Contemporary Paper Marbling, Feridun Ozgoren and Nan Freeman,
Orchids & Ebru, 1987.
- MASTER'S THESIS/PAPER ... Jean Ove, "An Experimental Investigation of Paper Marbling,"
- Article, Diana Patterson, "John Baskerville, Marbler." The Library, 1990.
- Article, Anonymous, "Patterns from the Past," Dickenson Review.
- Brochure, The Pepys Library.
- Article, John J. Pleger, "Bookbinding and Its Auxiliary Branches," Chicago, 1914.
- Article, G. Pollard, "Changes in the Style of Bookbinding 1550-1830," The Library,
- Article, Guy A. Pratt, "Let's Bind a Book," New York.
- Article, Anne Price, "Down Marbler Alley."
- Article, Prideaux, "An Historical Sketch of Bookbinding," London, 1893.
- Article, Pamela Pritzger -- about Ernst incorporating marbling into his collages.
PJE noted she might include this in a section of her book on marbling and the artist.
- Article, Anonymous, Printing Historical Society newsletter about the Olga Hirsch Collection.
- Article, "Pantologia," London, 1813.
- Exhibition Announcement, "Papiers Marbres Francais" 1987.
- Article, author Parry, PJE notes it is very similar to the book by Oswestry, 1811.
Refers to Dutch marbler by name on page 61.
- Patents -- Marbling (USA)
- Manila folder, Prospectus for PJE's book, Marbling. Dawson's Book Shop announcement.
List of people to send announcement to.
- Manila folder, Dealers & Workshops. Has correspondence, most interesting from Muir
Dawson to PJE re her "Coranto" article on suminagashi.
- Loose announcements for exhibition entitled "Ebru," remarks by PJE.
- Article, Otto Richl, "Die BuntpapierSammlung der staatlichen Kunstbibliothek in Berlin"
- Catalog, from the Victoria & Albert Museum, Guiseppe Romondini, "Catalogo Della Stampe
In Rame, In Legno, etc. ..." 1784.
- Article, Carl Schuddekopf and Georg Witkowski, "Zeitschrift for Bucherfreunde ..."
Printed in Leipzig, 1909.
- Article, Adolf Rhein, "Fruhe Buntpapiere," from Jahrbuch der Einbandkunst, 1937.
- Photocopy of one page, from Repository of Arts and Sciences, Edinburgh, 1838.
- How to make India ink, sealing wax, and marble edges of books.
- Article, Charles Roux, Pour Le Relieur, "Marbrure," Paris, 1926.
- Article, Bernard George Randolph, "Modern Methods of Marbling Paper."
- Article, B.J. Sansom, "Marbling Paper ..." World's Paper Trade Review, 1924.
- Article, Max Schmidt, Verwendungsmoglichkeiten von Buntpapieren, Liepzig, 1932.
- Article, Walter Schulhof, "Alters Buntpapiers," 1901.
- Notes, PJE's handwriting, re: Claude Gombert, "Secrets concernants les Arts et Metiers,"
- Articles, Herbert Seidel, 4 articles on marbling book edges.
- REPRINT, AUTOGRAPHED -- Ellen Shaffer, "John Frederick Lewis."
- THESIS EXCERPTS -- R.D. Sheaff, "Marbled Paper."
- Article, Victor Strauss, The Printing Industry, page about preparing book for binding.
- Article, Richard D. Sheaf, "Making Marbled Papers," American Artist, August, 1978.
- Article, Alfred Shulte, "Die Anfange der Buntpapierherstellung in Deutschland," 1941.
- Article, Eva Simmons, on Norma Rubovitz.
- Article, Sacheverell Sitwell, on British wallpapers.
- Article, Herman L. Smith, "Manuscript Repair in European Archives, 1938.
- Article, Merrily A. Smith, "Marbling in the Kitchen Sink."
- Article, Wilman and Carol Spawn, "R. Aitkin, Colonial printer of Philadelphia, reprint
from Graphic Arts Review, 1961.
- Notes, photocopies, Laurence Sterne, re: Tristram Shandy.
- Article, Leopold Stolba, "Farbige Vorsatzpapiere."
- Notes, article, Alan Victor Sugden, "History of English Wallpaper."
- Photocopy, James Sumner, "The Mysterious Marbler," London, 1854.
- THESIS, Tourandokht Strick, "An Integration of Marbling and Serigraphy in the Fine
Arts," George Washington University, 1977.
See Strick slides in box #6.
- Manila envelope, in pencil Source Materials British Paper Collections, first draft.
- Manila folder, Sachs, "Moderna Buntpapiere ..."
- Exhibit announcement, Suleyman the Magnificent.
- Article, publication Hoja Volante, "Contemporary Paper Marbling," pencilled notes
at top of first page in hand of Ingrid Weimann, widow of Chris Weimann.
- Article, Laurence Town, "Bookbinding By Hand for Students and Craftsmen," London,
- Article, Theodor Teichman, Marbling (discussion of Halfer's colors).
- Article, from Theory and Practice of Bookbinding.
- Article, Ralph Thompson, "Deathless Lady," (Fanny Hill).
- (OUT OF SEQUENCE ARTICLE) Imagine That! Basic Marbelizing Process From Maggie's Workshop.
- Article, Lila Togneri, "Another Way to Make Patterned Papers," 1930.
- THESIS Bruce Walley, "Marbling As An Art and As A Unit for Classroom Bookbinding,
Stout State College, 1963.
- Article, Dr. D. Tollenaar, "Marmeren, Theorie en Toepassing." Sent to PJE from Karli
- Article, Georg Trepplin, in German.
- Article, Tucker, from Dingler's Polytechnisches Journal, in German.
- Article, Gerry Turner and Frances Major, "Floating Designs," 1964.
- Manila envelope, Tanselle.
- Article, Anonymous, "Uniforme leerstof theoretisch Onderricht," Amsterdam, 1946.
- Handwritten notes MIGHT be in the handwriting of Karli Frigge.
- Article, Aylmer Vallence, "Marbled Ends."
- Article, Alex J. Vaughan, "Modern Bookbinding," Leicester, 1929.
- Article, Vogel-Jorgensen, "Birgette Cramer's Colored Paste Papers for Book Covers,"
- Article, letter from Henk Voorn, Dutch Royal Library.
- Manila envelope, H. Coorn, copy of Sier-papier, 1975.
- Manila folder, "Weimann Memorial Talk," by PJE, speaking of Chris Weimann, master
- Manila folder, Richard J. Wolfe, "Geheimen der Bookbinderij," (Secrets of Bookbinding),
announcement of the upcoming publication.
- Manila folder, Patrick Woodroffe, "Mythopoeikon," photocopy.
- Article, Jearl Walker, "The Amateur Scientist," from Scientific American, 1983.
- Photostat, W.H.J. Weale, Bookbinding and Rubbings in the National Art Library, South
- Manila envelope, Samuel Webb, "Paper Marbling."
- Empty file folder, August Weichelt, "Buntpapier-Fabrikation." (Perhaps article is
misplaced in the files.)
- WORD IMAGE photostat, sent to PJE by British artist, Graham Day, his notecard included.
- Article, August Weichelt, "Buntpapier-Fabrikation," 1927.
- Torn manila envelope, Woolnough, C.W., The Library of Congress, two articles, Society
- Article, Mark Whittaker, The Mysterious Marbler.
- Article, Geoffry Wakeman, marbler ... Man with a sense of humor. Article shows sample
of humorously named marble pattern he designed, Loughborough Marble, 1971. Article
says artist has named others with funny names, one being "Widmerpool Spot," no doubt
named after the character in Anthony Powell's 12-novel masterpiece, A Dance to the
Music of Time. (Kenneth Widmerpool)
- Article, Chris Weimann, "A Brief Introduction to History and Technique."
- Manila folder, Woolnough, The Whole Art of Marbling.
- Manila folder, Franz Weisse, "Die Kunst des Marmorierens," Stuttgart, 1940.
Also has envelope, "Mein Kampf mit der Ochsengalle," 1938 (My life with oxgall).
- Zaehnsdorf, "Art of Bookbinding," 1890
- Zaehnsdorf, J.W., "The Art of Bookbinding, 1880.
- Ziegler, Walter, "Zierformenerzeugung fur Buntpapier."
- Series: Manila folders from Phoebe's desk filing cabinet Box 04
- Guild of Bookworkers newsletters.
- Bundle of "Fine Print" journals.
- Manila folder, "Current Correspondence."
- Manila folder, Eileen Canning.
- Empty folder, Anneliesse Duhmerts (maybe materials elsewhere in the boxes)
- Manila folder, Reviews of books on marbling.
- Manila folder, PJE's work on her Bibliography, and correspondence re: same.
- Manila folder, unsorted materials re: techniques, some clippings.
- Manila folder, some more correspondence to PJE.
- Manila folder, Philately and computers.
- Manila folder, notes and quotes.
- Manila folder, Scandinavia/Sweden.
- Manila folder, Scandinavia/Jan-Alov Nystrom (Literature)
- Loose correspondence to PJE
- Manila folder, Colonial Williamsburg.
- Manila folder, Chicago -- Islamic Marbling Symposium
- Manila folder, Great Symposia.
- Manila folder, PJE notes, "Second Edition," she may have been prepping for a 2nd edition
of her book.
- Exhibition catalog, Second International Exhibition Marbler's Gathering
- Manila folder, INK & GALL ... contents may be PJE's notes, drafts of article for Ink
- Manila folder, correspondence between PJE and Houghton Library re: collection's unveiling.
- Manila folder, more PJE Bibliography notes, Duzgunman info.
- Manila folder, info from PJE's exhibit at Doheny Library, University of Southern California.
- Catalog, Festina Lente, gift from Carolyn T. Lee, Curator, Rare Books and Special
Collections, The Catholic University of America.
- Manila folder, second edition Bibliographies
- Manila folder, correspondence, American marblers.
- Manila folder, correspondence between PJE and Polly Fox at Ink & Gall.
- Manila folder, Dealers, Workshops.
- Loose EBRU article, should go in file folder on Turkish/Ebru. In another box.
- Manila folders on Edge Decoration, Branded Books, photographs of Branded Books in
Phoebe Easton's collection, notes on same. Several folders.
- Catalog, Second International Marblers' Gathering, Exhibition catalog.
- Series: Mixed articles and correspondence Box 05
- NEWSLETTERS, GUILD OF BOOKWORKERS.
- Marbled letter to PJE from Milena Hughes, marbled cardboard "envelope," transmitting
photocopies in color of her new work.
- Letter to Patricia Bach (PJE's youngest sister, somewhat interested in marbling herself)
with business card of Turkish translator. Yellow post-it note in Patricia's handwriting.
Letter dated Jan 19, 1991 to PJE from Patricia Bach.
- Journal, Sanat Dunyamiz 1985.
- Journal, Ebru Terimleri Sozlugu
- Journal, Pulp & Paper International, March 1971, featuring Making Turkish marbled
- The Turkish Journal of Collectable Art, featuring Mustafa Duzgunman's work on covere.
- Article in plastic sleeve, it says in Turkish Exhibit at Bank, Ebru and Beads, and
has article about Mustafa Duzgunman.
- One page biography xerox about Mustafa Duzgunman. (2 copies)
- One page xerox of page in French, PJE's box drawn around Paragraph about Mohammed
- 2 greeting cards featuring Persian camel collage.
- Manila folder, contents all relating to Mustafa Duzgunman.
- One page xerox regarding Ebru.
- Brown envelope re: Mehmet Ali Kagitci
- Manila folder, Koray Guney
- Journal, Automobile Club of Turkey, marbled cover, article in English, The Art of
- Journal, Turkiyeniz, centerfold of marbled paper.
- Journal, Music for the Eyes, An Introduction to Islamic and Ottoman Calligraphy, by
- Xeroxed article, Sultan Muhammad Adil Shah Bijapuri, Appendix Marbled drawings.
- Gray envelope containig xeroxes, The Miniature Painting and Painters of Persia, India
and Turkey, author F.R. Martin
- Xeroxed article in Turkish, shows marbling and calligraphy, Mecmeddin Akyayin.
- Xerox article, Sanat Dunyamiz, 1985.
- Xerox article, in French, Les Papiers Marbres.
- Xeroxed article, Papier Geschichte, November 1963.
- Xeroxed article, Turkiye Touring magazine, The Art of Ebru
- Letter to someone named Arkin, from PJE, April 8, 1991. I don't know what Arkin's
- Manila envelope, Turkish marblers, letters to PJE from them.
- Xerox single page, calligraphy, Mustafa Efendi
- Article, from IMAGE 1987, gift from translator.
- Phoebe's translation, Marbled Miniatures.
- Article, author Dr. A. Suheyl Univer
- Magazine tear-out, markets of Istanbul
- Turkish book, Gulzari Savab, Istanbul 1939.
- Article, Studies in Memory of Gaston Wioet, edited by Myriam Rosen-Ayalon 1977
- Manila folder, Guide to Istanbul, N. Hepgul
- Manila folder, letters from Hepful to PJE.
- Turkish Journal of Collectable Art, 1986.
- Newspaper article, Islamic Art Illuminated
- Announcement of show, A Book Exhibition. Yellow post-it note in my mother's sister's
Handwriting (Patricia Bach). She probably saw the show in the Washington, DC area.
- Printed article, EBRU -- I think PJE wrote this, but it doesnt name the author.
- White envelope, contains photocopy of Persian Miniatures in the Fogg Museum of Art.
- Advertisement for Marbled Calligraphies & Flowers by Nedim Sonmez.
- Advertisement for Ebru Turkisch Paper, Classic Marbling Patterns, by Nedim Sonmez.
- Xerox, "The Course of Empire."
- Xerox, gift from translator, Turkey Automobile Club magazine
- Manila folder, correspondence from Mustafa Duzgunman.
- (1) One issue of Fine Print with marbled feather pattern on cover..
- Journal, The Royal Society of Arts, November 1979. It's the article about Indian Paintings
that was of interest to PJE.
- Letter/envelope from Hikmet Barutcugil to Patricia Bach, March 27, 1991, with photos.
The woman in the pictures is Patricia Bach, the man with the glasses is her husband,
Norman Bach, and the man with the moustache is Hikmet. They are at his house and studio,
- Marbled booklet of the papers presented at the 4th Annual Marblers' Gathering, Istanbul,
- Cover signed by Hikmet Barutcugil ... see letter from him to Patricia Bach, with photos,
also in this box.
- Soft-bound book, blue cover with Turkish red tulips, TURK EBRU SANATI, inscribed to
PJE on first page, signed Ahmet Coktan. 1992.
- Calendar, 2002, Ebru Kongresi (Marbling Congress)
- Series: Card catalogs, slides, photographs Box 06
- 1 card catalog drawer, 3x5 index cards of Bibliography on marbling and book arts.
- 1 metal recipe box, 3x5 index cards of Bibliography (journals).
- Boxes of slides, all kinds of marbled paper subject matter and artists.
- Envelopes of photographs from other file locations.
- Set of about 10 slides, wrapped in white paper, in plastic baggie. I think these are
pictures of Persian or Indian stencil/resist paintings or marbling pieces. I don't
have a slide projector, cannot look at them clearly. They were loose in PJE's materials.
- Photo envelope, 2 pictures: one of marbled wallpaper in Naha's department store, Gardena,
California 1971. PJE took the photo. Other photo picture of an engraving of a bookbinder
"dressed up" in the tools of the trade. PJE note says "Englebrecht" -- that may be
- Photo envelope, I believe Ingrid Weimann took the pictures at a marbler's gathering
in Tennessee, perhaps 2002. IMPORTANT PHOTOS HERE of Chris Weimann's hands showing
how he re-created Indian and/or Persian stencil marbling with cutouts acting as the
resist/stencil. Also a show of Chris Weimann's "Marbling in Miniature," which may
have been exhibited at the 2002 marbler's gathering. Quite a few pictures of the people
at the gathering, but Ingrid Weimann did not write names on the back. You may want
to discard some of the pictures if not useful. EXCELLENT PICTURE of Mustafa Duzgunman
and Chris Weimann, seated together. I know this picture was taken in Istanbul, Turkey,
when Chris went to meet Mustafa. Chris told me that over Mustafa's front door, in
Arabic script, was a single word, EBRU.
- Photo envelope, with note from Mimi Schleicher to PJE suggesting that Ingrid Weimann
can help identify the people.
- Photo envelope, lots of pictures of marbled patterns, and the negatives.
- Envelope from Patricia Bach to PJE, includes pictures taken at Bach's exhibit of marbled
papers and items, installed at the Bethesda, MD, library. Patricia Bach was youngest
sister of PJE, got interested in marbling due to PJE's involvement.
- Photo envelope, entirely Turkish flowers, done by Mustafa Duzgunman. You can see his
signature, "Mustafa," on some of them.
- Small yellow (cardboard) slide box, pictures of Turkish flowers and marbled landscapes
by Nedim Sonmez, but there may be a second Sonmez here, I noticed some slides have
different initials, Y.J, not N for Nedim. Not sure if there are two marblers with
same last name, or if one is son of the other.
- Yellow PLASTIC slide box, fore-edge paintings.
- Fore-edge painting of Tommy Trojan, statue at University of Southern California, on
my dad's textbook, "Invertebrate Paleontology." It's a double fore-edge, Tommy Trojan
on one view, and shells on the other view. Marbled papers by Sydney Cockerell, binding
by Bernard Middleton, maybe the fore-edge painting, too. The book belongs to my brother,
Robert Easton. My parents commissioned the binding/papers/fore-edge.
- A few slides of some fore-edge paintings on books in my collection.
- Some numbered slides showing the order in which Chris Weimann developes a marbling
- Slides of Chinese New Testament books with intricate bindings and fore-edge paintings
of the saint or Christ.
- Some more slides of the Chris Weimann process of developing a pattern. I think this
group of slides accompanied a talk PJE gave, but no text of the talk in the materials.
- Plastic ziplock, black photo envelope, this has pictures of BRANDED BOOKS, goes with
the manila folder in another box called Branded Books.
- Series: Mixed correspondence, photographs, audiocassette Box 07
- Photographs from dinner party following the opening of the exhibition of the PJE Collection
at Houghton Library.
- Manila folder, NORMA RUBOVITS, original correspondence, notes on shows.
- Manila folder, Marbling Suppliers
- Manila folder, Smithsonian correspondence
- Envelope -- Spain, records of marblers and collections
- Manila folder, TWIN ROCKERS PAPER MAKERS
- UCLA leaflet, WAYZGOOSE FEAST, (bookbinders)
- Manila folder, ENGLISH MARBLING correspondence
- Manila folder, WILLIAMSBURG
- Manila folder, RICHARD WOLFE correspondence
- Manila folder, HANS & TANYA SCHMOLLER correspondence
- Manila folder, MARY HANSEN correspondence
- Manila folder, PJE lecture on marbling & calligraphy
- Manila folder, SOLVEIG STONE, sample book, letter
- Manila folder, EUROPEAN CORRESPONDENCE
- Black folder, NETHERLANDS CORRESPONDENCE
- Manila folders, Marbling and the Artist
- Appears to be notes for sections of PJE's book, perhaps unused in the end.
- Manila folder, Marble patents
- Manila folder, The Art of Book Publishing, Garrison.
- Manila envelope, Mechanical Marbling, first drafts.
- Manila folder, John Dickinson Stationery, correspondence and brochure.
- Perforated large inter-office envelope, ROOSEVELT CHRISTMAS BOOKS. Letters and source
- Manila folder (thick), Libraries.
- Manila folder, Papers not in Bibliography. (PJE is referring to the Bibliography in
- Envelope, Doheny Library auction, Publications and Publicity
- Manila folder, Los Angeles Public Library exhibit of papers from PJE's collection.
- Manila folder, Bookbinding, Binders, Dealers
- Manila folder, English marbling and marblers, notes on same.
- Manila folder, Second Edition Exhibitions. I don't know why the folder is titled "Second
Edition," but the materials relate to exhibitions featuring PJE's papers.
- Manila folder, Citation Record, Exhibits
- Manila folder, Easton Exhibits, Lectures.
- Manila folder, Houghton and Harvard materials.
- Manila folder, Meeting in ISTANBUL June 1-8. 1997. Gathering of Marblers.
- Series: Correspondence, unsorted Box 09
- Series: Marbling in advertising: printed and miscellaneous material Box 10
- Series: Decoratively marbled pencils Box 10
- Series: Icelandic lichen used by a Norwegian marbler Box 10