MS Am 2788
Sanderson, Edward L. Edward L. Sanderson papers on James Trimble III, circa 1996-2011:
PRELIMINARY BOX LIST.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Am 2788
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Sanderson, Edward L.
Title: Edward L. Sanderson papers on James Trimble III,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 linear foot (1 box)
Quantity: 4.7 gigabytes (1 CD-ROM)
Abstract: Preliminary box list only for Edward L. Sanderson's research files and completed biography
of James (Jimmie) Trimble.
2011M-71. Gift of Edward L. Sanderson; received: 2012 January 12.
Open for research.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
Special equipment or surrogate required; consult Houghton staff (CD-ROM, audiocassette,
James (Jimmie) Trimble III was born October 10, 1925, and died March 1, 1945, at Iwo Jima (Volcano Islands, Japan) as a member of the United States Marine Corps. He attended St. Albans School in Washington (D.C.) with Gore Vidal and was a member of the Washington Senators (Baseball team : 1886-1960)(also known as the Washington Nationals).
Arrangement is the donor's; materials are not fully cataloged. Readers should note
that when fully processed, the order of materials may change.
Edward L. Sanderson's research files and completed biography of James (Jimmie) Trimble,
U.S. Marine killed at Iwo Jima (Volcano Islands, Japan), as well as Gore Vidal's childhood friend and dedicatee of Vidal's City and the Pillar. Collection is comprised primarily of photocopies from primary sources.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- Series: I. Life of James Trimble III
- A. Washington D.C. and Family
- B. St Albans School for Boys, Sports from Yearbook
- C. St Albans School for Boys, Newspaper Clippings
- D. St Albans School for Boys, Senior Year
- E. Washington Nationals Baseball Team
- F. United States Marine Corps (USMC) Documents: exclusive of Guam and Iwo Jima battles
found in Section IV below
- 1. Service Records Part 1: Enlistment and Induction, Summary, Skills, Insurance and
- 2. Service Records Part 2: Service Record Book and Medical Records
- Service Records Part 3: Internal Death Documents, Notification Letters, Reburial,
Death Gratuity, Personal Effects and Medals.
- G. JT Correspondence
- 1. Summary of Letters to Ruth Sewell
- 2. Letters to Ruth Sewell with Transcriptions
- 3. Exchange of Letters with Reverend Albert Lucas at St Albans School for Boys
- H. Reports of Death in Washington DC; see also III.E below.
- Series: II. Washington D.C.
- A. Washington National Cathedral
- C. St. Albans School for Boys - General Information
- D. St. Albans School for Boys - WWII Casualties
- E. St. Albans School for Boys - Letters of Paul "Buddy" Cromelin to his parents March-April 1945
- Series: III. United States Marine Corps Battles for Guam and Iwo Jima - Research Documents
- A. USMC Guam and Iwo Jima - Descriptions from Books
- B. USMC Guam and Iwo Jima - Pictures from Books
- C. USMC Guam and Iwo Jima - Marine 3rd Division
- E. USMC Guam - Dedication of Trimble Field
- Series: IV. Incident 1 March 1945, Iwo Jima
- B. 3rd Division Records from National Archives
- E. Memories of Lee Blanchard and John McMakin
- F. Don Mates and Jim White at American Veterans Center Conference, 2009
- Series: V. Edward L. Sanderson Correspondence. Note: other letters may be found under other
- A. J. Earle Elliott Junior
- E. New York Times and Random House
- G. St. Albans School for Boys
- K. United States Marine Corps Historical Center
- Series: VI. Edward L. Sanderson Research Documents
- A. Trip Reports: April, June, July, October 1996 to Washington DC and Milwaukee, WI, June 1997
- B. 1920 Census at National Archives
- C. Libraries in Chicago and Washington DC
- D. Newspaper and Magazine Clippings
- F. Documents relating to Hardball on the Hill
- G. Notes from meeting with Gore Vidal, Sydney, Australia, January 1997
- H. Illustrations printed from TIF files
- Series: VII. Photographs with information sheets
- A. Series A is made up of 21 photographs of photographs in the collection of Mrs.
Ruth Sewell and Mr. Earle Elliott and were taken by Dr. D. Peter Sanderson, January 1997.
- B. Series B were taken by ELS in Washington DC, April-October 1996.
- Series: VIII. Publications acquired by ELS while doing research
- Series: IX. Audio/Video Material
- Series: X. Compositions
- A. Jimmie Trimble: An Exploration and Amplification (18 July 1996) Version sent to Gore Vidal
- B. Jimmie Trimble: A Life in Literature (9 September 1996)
- C. Jimmie Trimble: A Biographical Sketch (13 September 1996)
- D. Jimmie Trimble: An Informal Biography (19 November 1996) Unedited and incomplete.
- E. Jimmie Trimble: An Informal Biography (21 April 1998)
- F. Pages pulled from Jimmie Trimble: An Informal Biography
- G. Jimmie Trimble: An Informal Biography (12 December 2011) Manuscript
- H. Jimmie Trimble: An Informal Biography (12 December 2011) Bound volume including PDF version on CD-ROM