MS Thr 786
American advertising trade cards, 1877-1887: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Thr 786
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: American advertising trade cards,
Date(s): 1877-1887 and undated.
Quantity: 1 collection (.25 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Trade cards advertising various American products and services in the late 19th-century.
2010MT-11. Gift of Thomas Garrett; received: 2010 October 9.
Forms part of the Fredric Woodbridge Wilson Collection of Theater, Dance and Music
(Harvard Theatre Collection).
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
American Advertising Trade Cards, 1877-1887 (MS Thr 786). Harvard Theatre Collection,
Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Trade cards were small printed sheets, and later cards, bearing tradesmen's advertisements,
often including an engraved illustration; produced from the 17th through the 19th-century.
Arranged alphabetically by name of company or by title.
Illustrated 19th-century trade cards, advertising various American products and services,
such as soaps, tobacco products, a dental office, boat trips, and others.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- (1). Babbitt's Best Soap : trade cards, 1887. 1 folders
2 variant cards.
- (2). Dalley's magical pain extractor. The great family ointment : trade card, undated. 1 folders
- (3). Gantz, Jones & Co. The adventures of Humpty Dumpty... Sea Foam : advertising booklet, 1877. 1 folders
- (4). James Pyle Company. Pearline. The king of washing compounds : trade card, undated. 1 folders
- (5). Kendall Mfg. Co. Home Soap. (Providence, R.I.). Soapine : trade card, undated. 1 folders
- (6). Lucey's 30th grand excursion to Coney Island and Rockaway... steamer Grand Republic... : trade card, undated. 1 folders
- (7). Owen Jones' Sons (New York). Time table of the Hudson River steamer Mary Powell ... for New York and Philadelphia : trade card, undated. 1 folders
- (8). P. Whitlock (Richmond, Va.). Old Virginia cheroots and cigarettes : trade card, undated. 1 folders
Card is torn into 2 pieces.
- (9). Philadelphia Dental Rooms (New Haven) : trade card, undated. 1 folders
- (10). Rose : trade card, undated. 1 folders
Includes no text.
- (11). Hones Long Cut Tobacco. Smoke and chew : trade card, undated. 1 folders
- (12). This fan and these roses I send you... : trade card, undated. 1 folders
- (13). Wm. W. Smith, Ladies & gent's dining rooms ... Birmingham, Conn. : trade cards, undated. 1 folders
2 variant items.