MS Am 2784
Song and ballad collection, 1777-1940: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 2784
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Song and ballad collection,
Quantity: 1 collection (.5 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English and German.
Abstract: Manuscript material relating to British and American folk songs, ballads, and poems.
No accession number. Found with: MS Storage 281. Collection materials assembled by Carolyn Jakeman.
Most of this material appears to have been assembled by George Lyman Kittredge. A
few items have acquisition information with the entries.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Song and Ballad Collection, 1777-1940 (MS Am 2784). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
There is related material in the George Lyman Kittredge Papers at the Harvard University
Archives, at the Child Memorial Library, Harvard, as well as additional papers at
Houghton on both Kittredge and Child as well as other ballad and song papers.
George Lyman Kittredge was born in Boston in 1860 and received his Harvard A.B. in
1882. He became Francis James Child's successor to the Harvard Boylston Professorship
of Rhetoric and Oratory and later was appointed Harvard's first Gurney Professor of
English (1917). Kittredge was a noted authority on the English language, Shakespeare,
and Chaucer, and he also continued scholarship in the field pioneered by Child - the
study of folklore and folk history.
Arranged alphabetically by author or title.
Primarily papers for ballad and folk song studies. Papers were mostly assembled by
Harvard professor George Lyman Kittredge. Includes: manuscript texts and manuscript
transcripts of ballads and songs; manuscript music of ballads and songs; poems and
verses; letters to Kittredge concerning ballad manuscripts; and letters giving Kittredge
permission to publish.
- (2). The banks of sweet Dundee : manuscript transcript, undated. 1 folders
Marked: From Miss Leone Crosby, Boston, Mass.
- (3). Barker, Ann. Her verses : autograph manuscript (signed); no place, 1777. 1 folders
Poems. Sewn book includes those titled: The Indian Philosopher, A copy of verses on May Drummon from Oxford after she had two meetings there, Lavinas answer, A letter from a clergyman to M. Morris, On the kings most excellent-majesty your subjects hope..., On the king, On friendship, On the death of L. R., On tobacco, To Mrs. Boylston and children on the death of her son and their brother, and On the death of L. R..
Also included loose sheets inserted in pages: A copy of verses written by a gentleman (lately diseased) ocassioned by his reading
Robert Barclay's apology, Letter from a clergy man to M. Morris and Lavinia's answer.
Also mentions names Nancy Barker and Paul Thurston.
With note indicating this was transferred from Howard Corning (of Harvard Business School Library) to George Lyman Kittredge.
- (4). Barker, Susan A. Verses : autograph manuscript (signed); no place, undated. 1 folders
Verses. Sewn book includes those titled: The unfortunate lovers, a short beautiful poem..., A lady's last farewell to her husband wrote a few days before her death, Elegy on the unfortunate Chatterton, and others.
- (5). Child 45: [King John and the Bishop] : manuscript music with manuscript annotations, undated. 1 folders
A few lines of music.
- (6). Darling Nelly Gray papers. 1 folders
Letter from Grenville Howland Norcross to George Lyman Kittredge,
Date: 1924 April 18 with partial envelope to Kittredge. Letter forwards group of materials that
Norcross calls the "Darling Nelly Gray papers." He mentions he expects Kittredge to use the song at the next meeting of the
Club of Odd Volumes (COV). He states that the papers were found in a lot of old papers of the late Hon.
John Plummer Healy (1810-1882 ) who was counsel for Mr. Oliver Ditson (1811-1888). Includes:
- Hanby, Benjamin Russel, 1833-1867. 5 autograph manuscript letters (signed) to Oliver Ditson,
Date: 1857-1860. Concerns payment for his songs published by Ditson.
- Ditson, Oliver, 1811-1888. Mr. B. R. Hanby states that to the best of his recollection he sent me a song called
"Darling Nelly Gray", in 1856... : autograph manuscript (unsigned), undated. Ditson's account of the controversy with
the publishing of Hanby's song, Darling Nelly Gray.
- (7). The don of lions from Buchan manuscript 1.432 : manuscript transcript, undated. 1 folders
- (8). Fair Rosina : manuscript transcript, 1812. 1 folders
Verse portion. Marked: Ashby.
- (9). Franz, R. The rose's complaint : manuscript music and lyrics, undated. 1 folders
Lyrics in German.
- (10). Hail! Mighty Sir! of Justice King... : manuscript (signed illegible), undated. 1 folders
Apparently verse addressed to Miss Lucy Huse, Williams Court.
- (11). He stepped up to her and found it was she...[first line] : manuscript; no place, undated. 1 folders
Ballad texts? Includes titles or first lines: My mamy she hired me far from home..., My pedigree of fame would know..., One evening as I rambled two miles below ..., and The lady left behind.
- (12). Hill, Arthur, 1846-1921. Letter to S. C. (Samuel Carter) Hall, 1879 September 2. 1 folders
Encloses subscription for Melody Moore window. Includes clippings about window.
- (14). In sinful pleasures I have spent [first line] : manuscript; no place,undated. 1 folders
- (15). Jim Fisk : manuscript, undated. 1 folders
Lyrics to song in partial letter from ? to Barry.
- (16). John Barley Corn : typescript text and manuscript music, undated. 1 folders
- (17). John Bull was a bumpkin born and bred... : manuscript, undated. 1 folders
- (18). King William; A wedding song; A love son; Myracle : manuscript transcript, 1823. 1 folders
Also with typescript transcript of King William from an old manuscript book in the Barry Collection, ca. 1840.
- (19). Kittredge, George Lyman, 1860-1941, recipient. Letters from others concerning publishing permissions, 1907-1910. 1 folders
Letters give permission for use of material in Kittredge's The Mother Tongue. Includes note in hand of Kittredge labeling group.
- (20). Lines composed on the death of Miss Sarah M. Saunders who departed this life Feb.
9, 1823... : manuscript; no place, ca. 1823? 1 folders
- (21). M., W. S. F. A woman from the German of H. Heine : autograph manuscript transcript (signed); New York, 1858 October 30. 1 folders
- (23). Marseilles hymn : manuscript transcript, undated. 1 folders
- (24). The matrimonial state : manuscript, undated. 1 folders
- (25). The Nativity : manuscript (unsigned); no place, undated. 1 folders
Poem or ballad text. Verso includes prose on death of Eliza D. Sweetser,
Date: 1831 February.
- (26). Noble, I? Letter to Francis James Child?; Inverness, 1881 March. 1 folders
Concerning manuscript collection of Scottish proverbs, Kinloch sale. Letter includes
pencilled manuscript annotations.
- (27). Old England : manuscript (signed F. W. M.; Dartmouth, 1824. 1 folders
- (29). Sewall, Charles Chauncy, 1802-1886. For G. A. R. Fair : autograph manuscript poem (unsigned); Medfield, Maine, 1885. 1 folders
With letter from Howard Corning of the Essex Institute (Salem, Massachusetts) to George Lyman Kittredge,
Date: 1933 February 8.
- (30). Sir W. Raleigh laid a wager of Queen E. that he ...[first line] : manuscript, undated. 1 folders
Includes numerous stories, epitaphs, verses such as: Epitaph on Dr. Hall Jackson who died Sept. 28, 1797, Epitaph on Mr. Joseph Schill who died May 24, 1798, and Profiles of emint. men.
- (32). Thayer, Lydia. Account. Current. Woman : no place, 1821. 1 folders
- (33). Threnodia - Or a mournfull rembrance of the much to be lamented death of the worthy
and pious Capt. Anthony Colamore, ... on the 16th day of December, 1693 : manuscript transcript, undated. 1 folders
Copy of poem printed in 1694.
- (34). A time full as long as the siege of old Troy... [first line] : manuscript, undated. 1 folders
- (35). Tolman, Albert Harris, |d 1856-1928, compiler. Additional songs and ballads collected by Professor A. H. Tolman and copied by him
: manuscript, typescript, undated. 1 folders
See also MS Eng 1574.
- (36). V., S. M. The mittens for my Grandfather : autograph manuscript (signed), ca. 1800-1812. 1 folders
With note on verso: In some papers from Edgertown Mass 1800 to 1812.
- (38). White, Henry Kirke, 1785-1806. To a friend in distress : manuscript transcript? poem, undated. 1 folders
Marked: From the Recorder.