MS Am 2758
Erikson, Erik H. (Erik Homburger), 1902-1994. Erik Erikson additional papers, 1895-1986:
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Am 2758
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Erikson, Erik H. (Erik Homburger), 1902-1994.
Title: Erik Erikson additional papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (.25 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are primarily in German, with a few in English.
Abstract: Papers and photographs concerning psychoanalyst Erik Erikson's early life in Karlsruhe,
Germany, assembled by Dr. Herfried Frank.
2011M-42. Gift of Dr. Herfried Frank; received: 2011 August 31.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
Erik Erikson Additional papers, 1895-1986 (MS Am 2758). Houghton Library, Harvard
Erik Erikson (1902-1994) was an American psychoanalyst, educator, and author. He was
born in Frankfurt, Germany to Danish parents who separated before his birth, but he
grew up in Karlsruhe, Germany. He used his stepfather's last name, Homburger, until
the late 1930s. In 1930 he married Joan Mowat Serson, a Canadian dancer and artist.
In 1933 they immigrated from Vienna to the United States. He was best known for his
work in child development and life-span studies, coining the phrase "identity crisis",
and in the field that became known as psychohistory.
Arranged into the following series:
- I. Correspondence
- II. Documents and other papers
- III. Photographs
This collection was assembled by the donor, Dr. Herfried Frank, in connection with the naming of a building that is part of a hospital in Karlsruhe,
Germany, the Erik Homburger Erikson Haus.
Includes autograph manuscript (signed) letters from Erik Erikson to Herfried Frank,
as well as letters to Frank from Peter Blos and Ellen R. Katz-Homburger. Also includes
photographs and copies of documents concerning Erikson's childhood in Karlsruhe. Much
of the material also includes autograph manuscript notes, in English, by Herfried
Frank, explaining details of each item.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- Series: I. Correspondence
- (2). Erikson, Erik H. (Erik Homburger), 1902-1994. Autograph manuscript letters (signed) to Herfried Frank; Belvedere, California, 1985-1986. 1 folders
All letters in German.
- 1985 August 10; with envelope. Also with note, in English, from Herfried Frank explaining
that this letter answers his question of whether they could name their hospital after
- 1986 May 25; with envelope.
- 1986 August 20; with envelope.
- 1986 December; with envelope.
- Series: II. Documents and other papers
- (5). Erikson, Erik H. (Erik Homburger), 1902-1994. Abiturienten-Zeugnis : certificate photocopy; Karlsruhe, 1920 July 15. 1 folders
- (7). Frank, Herfried. Erik Homburger Erikson in Karlsruhe : typescript photocopy with photographs, 1986 October 11. 1 volume in 1 folder.
25 pages. A bound copy of Frank's speech on "the occasion of naming our hospital after
Erik Homburger Erikson."
Many of the photographs inserted in the text are duplicated in other items in this
Also with a foldout printed set of photographs of Erik Homburger.
Includes note, in English, by Frank.
- Series: III. Photographs
- (9). Abitur 1920 : photograph, 1920. 1 folders
Class photograph with Erik Homburger in last row, fifth from right.
- (10). Erik Homburger with school classmates : photographs, 1919-1921 and undated. 1 folders
Depicts Erik Erikson with groups of students. With captions:
- a. 11 Mai 19. [Class group].
- b. Prof. Weber . U. I. b. [Class group].
- c. ... 12.2.21 ... [Group with beer at a table].
- d. [No caption; class group]
With note, in English, by Herfried Frank: "Some photos, I got from his school friend
... Huber. I don't know who the persons are photographed."
- (11). Haus am Schlossplatz 9 : photographs, 1938. 1 folders
2 variant photographs.
With note, in English, by Herfried Frank: "The house where the family lived Am Schlossplatz
Photographs from a local archive.
Also with a photocopy of these 2 photographs with descriptive text in German.
- (12). Karlsruhe Synagoge : photocopy of 2 photographs, undated. 1 folders
- (13). Obertertia : photograph, 1916. 1 folders
Class photograph with Erik Homburger in first row of students, first on right.
- (14). Theodor Nathan and Karla Homburger : photographic transparency, undated. 1 folders
Image used for projection?