MS Thr 687
L. & H. Nathan (Firm). L. & H. Nathan costume designs, undated: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Thr 687
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: L. & H. Nathan (Firm).
Title: L. & H. Nathan costume designs
Quantity: .02 linear feet (1 folder)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Watercolor, ink, and graphite costume design drawings for L. & H. Nathan Ltd., a London
costume house. Some by designer Charles Karl, some in unidentified hand.
2009MT-93 (lots 12 and 14). Purchased with the Frank E. Chase Bequest and the George and Faith Kahrl fund for
Theatre History; received: 2009 August 24.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
L. & H. Nathan Costume Designs, undated (MS Thr 687). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Charles Karl was the in-house costume designer from 1885 to 1934 for L. & H. Nathan
Ltd. (or Nathan's), a London, England theatrical costumier.
Watercolor costume design drawings for Miss Elizabeth's prisoner, by designer Charles Karl for L. & H. Nathan Ltd., a London costume house. Also includes
designs possibly by Charles Karl for The adventures of Lady Ursula and some unidentifed designs in a variant hand.
- (1). Karl, Charles. Miss Elizabeth's prisoner : watercolor and ink costume designs (signed), undated. 2 folders
17 watercolor and ink designs on thin card, pasted on 8 larger sheets. 1 design is
stamped by L. & H. Nathan Ltd. Made for William Faversham's play.
- [Man in brown workman clothes].
- Man servant. Stamped L. & H. Nathan.
- (2). Karl, Charles, attributed designer. The adventures of Lady Ursula : watercolor, graphite, and ink costume designs (unsigned), undated. 2 folders
8 finished watercolor, graphite, and ink designs on thin card, pasted on 5 larger
sheets. Designs are 27 x 18 cm. each.
Also includes: 1 graphite costume design sketch; 1 print of Evelyn Millard; and manuscript
cast list with notes on costumes for each.
Made for Anthony Hope's play, costumes executed by L. & H. Nathan Ltd.
Includes the following designs:
- Garrick Theatre. The Adventure of Lady Ursula. Miss Evelyn Millard. Print.
- [Gentleman with red vest]
- [Gentleman with red vest] Graphite sketch for.
- (3). Unidentified designs : watercolor, ink, and graphite costume designs, undated. 1 folders
7 completed designs of unidentified artist, pasted onto 3 larger sheets. Each design
approximately 27 x 11 cm.
- [Black man in purple uniform with hat] Annotated: Cuff.
- [Black man in purple uniform ]
- [Soldier in red coat with black cape]
- [Soldier in blue uniform]
- [Soldier in green uniform]