MS Thr 683
Green, Paul, 1894-1981. Paul Green papers concerning the Louisiana Cavalier, 1977-1979:
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Thr 683
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Green, Paul, 1894-1981.
Title: Paul Green papers concerning the Louisiana Cavalier,
Quantity: 1 collection (.25 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Papers concerning American playwright Paul Green's symphonic drama, Louisiana Cavalier.
No accession number. Source and date unknown.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Paul Green Papers Concerning the Louisiana Cavalier, 1977-1979 (MS Thr 683). Harvard Theatre Collection, Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Paul Green (1894-1981) was a North Carolina playwright. He received the Pulitzer Prize
for Drama for his 1927 play, In Abraham's Bosom. He is also known for creating a new dramatic form that he called "symphonic drama."
Inspired by historical events, it incorporated music and pageantry, usually for outdoor
performance. The Louisiana Cavalier was one of Green's outdoor play dramas. It was produced by the Louisiana Outdoor
Drama Association and opened in the Grand Ecore Ampitheatre at Natches, Louisiana
on June 16, 1976 and ran until 1979. This drama focused on Louis Junchereau St. Denis (1676-1744), a French-Canadian soldier and explorer who was most known for his exploration
and development of the Louisiana and Texas regions.
Collection includes a typescript photocopy of a rehearsal script and score for the
Louisiana Cavalier, advertising fliers, a press kit, photographs of scenes from the drama, programs,
and a t-shirt and bumper sticker advertising the play.
- (1). Green, Paul, 1894-1981. Louisiana Cavalier. A symphonic drama based on the life and times of Louis Juchereau
de St. Denis : typescript photocopy script and score, 1978-1979. 4 folders
Rehearsal script for play including 3 copies of the musical score for the drama.
- (2). Louisiana Cavalier : press kit, 1977. 4 folders
Press kit includes:
- Folder for content, 1977.
- First annual Louisiana Cavalier press night : invitation, 1977 July 7.
- Cavalier Callboard : newsletter, 1977 May 17.
- Paul Green's Louisiana Cavalier : advertising flier, 1977 June 25-September 3.
- Paul Green's Louisiana Cavalier. The second season : printed program, 1977 June 25-September 3.
- Fleur de Lis. Natchitoches tour guide : newspaper, 1977 June-July.
Volume 1, number 2. June-July edition.
- Dying deer from the Ritual Deer Dance scene from the Louisiana Cavalier : photograph, 1977.
- Emanuela, Comandante Ramon, Governor Anya and St. Denis scene from the Louisiana Cavalier : photograph, 1977.
- Everybody dance wedding scene of the French Casket Girls and Frenchmen scene from the Louisiana Cavalier : photograph, 1977.
- French, Spanish and Indian nations unite scene from the Louisiana Cavalier : photograph, 1977.
- (3). Louisiana Cavalier : t-shirt, ca. 1979. 1 folders
Size: boys 16.
- (4). Paul Green's Louisiana Cavalier. "Louisiana's official state play." Outdoor drama
in Natchitoches, Louisiana : advertising flier, 1979 June 28-August 18. 1 folders
- (5). Paul Green's Louisiana Cavalier. Outdoor drama in Natchitoches, Louisiana : bumper sticker, ca. 1979. 1 folders