MS Thr 654
Cromwell, John, 1914-1979. John Cromwell papers, 1928-1980: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Thr 654
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Cromwell, John, 1914-1979.
Title: John Cromwell papers
Quantity: 1 linear feet (3 boxes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English, Greek and French.
Abstract: Compositions, letters and photographs by or addressed to American actor and playwright
2006MT-119r. Old gift; source unknown.
Processed by: Krista Ferrante
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
John Cromwell Papers, 1928-1980 (MS Thr 654). Harvard Theatre Collection, Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
John Cromwell (1914-1979) was an actor and a playwright in New York. His father, Seymour
L. Cromwell, was a president of the New York Stock Exchange. John Cromwell attended
Harvard College to study business but left after two years to pursue an acting career.
He made his Broadway debut in 1935 in the play The Old Maid. He wrote several plays and two novels. Cromwell died in London on September 1, 1979.
Arranged into the following series:
- I. Letters
- II. Compositions
- III. Photographs
Includes: letters written by Aldus Huxley addressed to John Cromwell; typescript and
printed plays by John Cromwell; and photograph portraits of John Cromwell and other
actors including Ethel Barrymore, John Gielgud, Lillian Gish, and Raymond Massey.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- Series: I. Letters
- (1). Huxley, Aldous, 1894-1963. Letters (signed) to John Cromwell; Llano (Calif.), 1943-1945. 3 items in 1 folder.
- Series: III. Photographs
- (16). Atwell, H. A., photographer. John Cromwell with Cornelia Otis Skinner in "Candida" : portrait photographs (signed), 1935. 2 items in 1 folder.
2 variant images.
- (17). Apeda (New York), photographer. Lillian Gish with book : portrait photograph, 1937. 1 folders
Inscribed by Lillian Gish to John Cromwell.
- (18). Autrey (Hollywood), photographer. John Cromwell : portrait photograph, ca. 1935. 1 folders
- (19). Fehl, Fred, photographer. John Cromwell and Thomas Mann : photograph, ca. 1935. 1 folders
Verso is annotated: ...after the opening of "Gabrielle" a play based on Mann's Magic Mountain.
- (20). Fehl, Fred, photographer. John Cromwell in "Pygmalion" : photograph, ca. 1946. 1 folders
- (22). John Cromwell : portrait photographs, 1937. 2 items 1 folder.
2 variant images.
- (26). Lloyd, Harvey, photographer. Peggy Wood and Ruth Gates in "Opening night" : portrait photograph, 1966. 1 folders
Autograph note (signed) by John Cromwell on the verso.
- (27). Offner, Mortimer, photographer. Ethel Barrymore in scarf : portrait photograph, 1928. 1 folders
Inscribed by Ethel Barrymore to John Cromwell, 1928.
- (28). Tucker, Richard H., photographer. John Cromwell and Katherine Cornell in "Romeo and Juliet" : photograph, ca. 1935. 1 folders
- (29). Vandamm, Florence, photographer. Charles Atkins, Beatrice Terry and John Cromwell in "Bright rebel" : photograph, 1938. 1 folders
- (31). Vandamm, Florence, photographer. John Gielgud as Hamlet : portrait photograph, ca. 1936. 1 folders
Inscribed by John Gielgud to John Cromwell.
- (32). Vandamm, Florence, photographer. Katherine Cornell in "Saint Joan" : portrait photograph, ca. 1935. 1 folders
Katherine Cornell in costume.
- (34). Zettler, Michael, photographer. Roxanne Hart and Steve Elmore in "The mystery of Perry Clews" : portrait photograph, ca. 1945. 1 folders