MS Am 2700
Friedman, Lawrence Jacob, 1940-, compiler. Lawrence Jacob Friedman collection of transcripts
of interviews of Erik and Joan Erikson, 1970-1992: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Am 2700
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Friedman, Lawrence Jacob, 1940-, compiler.
Title: Lawrence Jacob Friedman collection of transcripts of interviews of Erik and Joan Erikson,
Quantity: 1 collection (.25 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Transcripts of interviews with American psychoanalyst, Erik Erikson, and his wife
Joan Mowat Erikson.
2010M-20. Gift of Lawrence Jacob Friedman, 335 Highland Avenue, Somerville, Massachusetts 02144; received: 2010 September 16.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
Lawrence Jacob Friedman Collection of Transcripts of Interviews of Erik and Joan Erikson,
1970-1992 (MS Am 2700). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
German-born as Erik Homburger, Erik Erikson (1902-1994) was an American psychoanalyst,
educator, and author. In 1930 he married Joan Mowat Serson, a Canadian dancer and
artist. In 1933 they immigrated from Vienna to the U.S. He was best known for his
work in child development and life-span studies, coining the phrase "identity crisis",
and in the field that became known as psychohistory.
Arranged alphabetically by name of author.
Transcripts and printed copies of interviews with Erik Erikson and some also with
his wife Joan Mowat Erikson. Also includes a letter, picture postcard, notes, and
annotations by the interviewers. Interviewers include Margaret Brenman-Gibson, Sanford
Gifford, the Harvard Educational Review, Howard B. Levine, and Forrest Glen Robinson.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- (7). Brenman-Gibson, Margaret. Miscellany, 1982 and undated. 1 folders
Includes autograph manuscript notes on Erikson by Brenman-Gibson and a picture postcard of The Caprice Restaurant on San Francisco Bay at Tiburon. Postcard is annotated by
Brenman-Gibson explaining that the photograph depicts a table which was "our table."
Verso includes additional notes about Erikson.
- (9). Gifford, Sanford, interviewer. Interview with Prof. Erikson and his wife Joan by Sanford Gifford, M.D. on 11/3/84.
Summary by Dr. Gifford of tape side 1 : typescript transcript with autograph manuscript annotations photocopy, 1984 November
3. 1 folders
- (10). Gifford, Sanford, interviewer. Interview with Prof. Erikson by Sanford Gifford 11/3/83 - side 2 : typescript transcript with autograph manuscript annotations photocopy, 1984 November
3. 1 folders
- (11). Levine, Howard B., interviewer. An interview with Professor Erik Erikson : typescript mimeograph transcript; Cambridge, 1984 November 13. 1 folders
Conducted at Winthrop House, Harvard University.
- (12). Levine, Howard B., interviewer. Interview with Erik H. Erikson : printed article photocopy, 1985. 1 folders
Printed in the BPSI Newsletter, volume 1, no. 2.
- (13). Robinson, Forrest G. (Forrest Glen), 1940-, interviewer. [Interview with] Erik Erikson (at Forrest's house) : typescript mimeograph transcript, 1970 August 12. 1 folders
Also includes a
Date: 1992 June 17 letter from Robinson to Lawrence Jacob Friedman conveying this transcript.