MS Thr 598
B. J. Simmons & Co. B. J. Simmons & Co. costume designs, 1913-1927: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository [box 3 is sized pf]
Call No.: MS Thr 598
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: B. J. Simmons & Co.
Title: B. J. Simmons & Co. costume designs,
Date(s): 1913-1927 and undated.
Quantity: 1 collection (1.5 linear feet (3 boxes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Costume designs from the London costumier, B. J. Simmons & Co.
No accession number. Source and date unknown.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
B. J. Simmons & Co. Costume Designs,1913-1927 (MS Thr 598). Harvard Theatre Collection,
Houghton Library, Harvard University.
The Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas at Austin holds the B. J. Simmons
& Co. costume design records.
See also Houghton accession 2007MT-8r.
B. J. Simmons & Co. was a London historical and theatrical costumier, 1857-1964.
Arranged into the following series:
- I. The Merchant of Venice at the Belasco Theatre (Organization : New York, N.Y.), 1922 August
- II. Tristan & Isolde for the Raymond Rôze Opera Company at Covent Garden, 1913?
- III. Tristan & Isolde: other productions
- IV. The Wooing of Katherine Parr for Fred Terry's American Tour, 1927
- V. Unidentified productions
Costume design drawings for costumes produced in London by B. J. Simmons & Co. for
various productions in England and in the United States. Drawings are in pencil, ink,
and watercolor. Many designs have a sketch number (SK #), a title (often the character's
name), and sometimes notes concerning the costume. One design has fabric swatches
Also includes lists of costumes for some of the productions, some with names of actors.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- Series: III. Tristan & Isolde: other productions
Scope and Contents: Some of these are for the Tristan & Isolde production of Sir Thomas Beecham's Opera Company at Covent Garden, June
Date: 1916. There may be other production designs mixed within this group and some left here might
possibly belong to the other Tristan & Isolde series in this collection.
Arrangement: Arranged alphabetically by character. This set of drawings does not have sketch numbers.
- (57). Cover from drawing portfolio. 1 folders
- (58). Lists of costumes needed for Tristan & Isolde : typescript carbon, undated. 1 folders
- (59). Tristan & Isolde. Richard Wagner : photomechanical print of a painting, undated. 1 folders
- (60). Brangaena. Miss Percival Allen : costume design drawing. 1 folders
- (61). Isolde. Miss Buckman : costume design drawing. 1 folders
- (62). Isolde. Miss Mann : costume design drawing. 1 folders
- (63). Isolde. Mme Edyth Walker (details) : costume design drawing. 1 folders
- (64). Isolde. Mme Edyth Walker (detail) : costume design drawing. 1 folders
- (65). King Mark : costume design drawing. 1 folders
- (66). King Mark. Act II. Mr. Paul Bender : costume design drawing. 1 folders
- (67). King Mark. Mr. Radford : costume design drawing, 1916. 1 folders
- (68). Tristan. Miss Marie Blanche : costume design drawing. 1 folders
- Series: V. Unidentified productions