MS Am 2685
Plummer, Warren C., 1834-. Warren C. Plummer papers, 1868-1905: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Am 2685
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Plummer, Warren C., 1834-.
Title: Warren C. Plummer papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (.5 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Biographical notes, clippings, a deed, and a letter on the life of Maine native, editor,
and Civil War officer, Warren C. Plummer.
65M-223. Source unknown; date unknown.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
Warren C. Plummer Papers, 1868-1905 (MS Am 2685). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Warren C. Plummer was born in 1834 in Damariscotta Mills, Maine to Harrison Plummer and Caroline Crosby Plummer. About 1846 or 1847 his family moved
to Bangor, Maine. He apprenticed as a printer with the Bangor Democrat and later was an officer with Company C of the 15th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment
during the Civil War. He married Nancy C. Haines (1840-1878) in 1861 and they had
two children: Evangeline P. Plummer Haines and Beulah Plummer Hoyt. Plummer was an
editor with various newspapers in Maine, Pennsylvania, New York City, and South Dakota.
Manuscript volume recording detailed information on Warren C. Plummer's life. It is
unclear if Plummer wrote this himself or if the information was compiled by another.
The text includes portions taken from Plummer's journal. Along with this volume were
clippings relating to Plummer's life, a deed, and a partial letter.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- (1). Life of Col. W. C. Plummer : manuscript (in pencil), after 1905. 1 Volumes
Includes the following chapters, most incomplete:
- Biographical notes on the life of Warren C. Plummer.
- Warren C. Plummer. Birth, education, and apprenticeship to the trade of printer.
- Col. Plummer. His study of books...
- Plummer and Petroleum Centre Record.
- Plummer and his ancestors.
- Warren C. Plummer's school days.
- The Madigans.
- Completes his apprenticeship.
- Type setting and newspaper work.
- Plummer's contest for Congress on the Greenback ticket in 1878.
- Some Bangor Maine newspaper notes by Plummer.
- Timothy Colby. A queer Bangor character.
- Temperance apostates in Bangor whom Plummer knew.
- Plummer and Shepherd Cary of Houlton, Maine.
- Plummer title of "Colonel" as it came to be adopted in the Northwest.
- Plummer's remarkable memory.
- Plummer for U. S. Senator.
- Plummer's recollections of early times and men in South Dakota territory.
- Some politicians. More recollections of Plummer.
- A Civil War incident. Recollections of Col. Plummer.
- A journalistic incident.
- Some of Plummer's Western recollections: Charles Bottinean; James W. Nesmith; .
- Plummer's estimate of a Maine man: Maj. Hickey.
- A D-D Old Owl.
- (2). Clippings concerning Warren C. Plummer, 1888-1900. 1 folders
These clippings were found folded into item (1).
- (3). Deed of land sale from Warren C. Plummer to A. J. Keenan : manuscript document (signed); Pit Hole City, Pennsylvania, 1868 May. 1 folders
- (4). Autograph manuscript letter from unidentified correspondent to William Barnsdale;Titusville, Pennsylvania, 1880 October 30. 1 folders
Discusses Plummer's bid for Congress.