Ms Thr 565
Erikson, Joan M. (Joan Mowat), collector. Joan Mowat Erikson collection of photographs
of modern dance in Germany, 1923-1931: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: Ms Thr 565
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Erikson, Joan M. (Joan Mowat),
Title: Joan Mowat Erikson collection of photographs of modern dance in Germany,
Quantity: 1 collection (.5 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English and German.
Abstract: Photographs from various schools of German modern dance from 1925-1931 including schools
of movement as well as gymnastics.
No accession number. Gift of Joan Mowat Erikson, 1705 Centro West, Tiburon, California 94920; received: 1983 May 21 through the kindness of Barbara Mettler.
Processed by: Diana Haynes with the assistance of Jennifer Lyons.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Joan Mowat Erikson Collection of Photographs of Modern Dance in Germany, 1923-1931
(MS Thr 565). Harvard Theatre Collection, Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Between Germany's defeat at the end of World War I in 1918, and Hitler's rise to power
in 1933, culture was flourishing in the arts and sciences in the region. During this
time, Rudolf von Laban and Mary Wigman laid the foundations for the development of
modern dance. Laban had schools located throughout Germany; his schools and style
are considered influential in early twentieth century modern dance education.
Arranged alphabetically either by the name of the school or by the name of the school's
This collection contains photographs from various schools of modern dance also including
schools of movement and gymnastics. The time span (1923-1931) covered in the collection
provides a glimpse into a developmental period in German body culture, the ideals
of which include grace, strength, and natural physical beauty through movement and
Students of Rudolf von Laban and future teachers themselves inclued in this collection
are Mary Wigman and Margarete Schmidts. Other dancers and teachers included are Isadora
Duncan (who founded a school of dance in Berlin, Germany) and Dora Menzler.
- (1). Bode, Rudolf, 1881-1971. Rudolf Bode School of Expressive Movement : photographs, undated. 11 items
- (2). Duncan, Isadora, 1877-1927. Isadora Duncan school : photographs, undated. 2 items
Possibly the Isadora Duncan school.
- (3). Fikenscher. Unidentified school or dancer : photographs, undated. 2 items
- (4). Günther, Dorothee. Günther School : photographs, undated. 2 items
- (5). Hagemann-Boese, Hedwig. Hagemann School : photographs, undated. 3 items
- (6). Jaques-Dalcroze, Émile, 1865-1950. Bildungsanstalt Jaques-Dalcroze : photographs, undated. 3 items
This school is also known as the Hellerau-Laxenburg School of the Dance.
- (7). Kallmeyer, Hedwig. Hedwig Kallmeyer School : photographs, undated. 19 items
- (8). Klamt, Jutta. Jutta Klamt School : photographs, undated. 4 items
- (9). Laban, Rudolf von, 1879-1958. Laban Art of Movement Studio : photographs, undated. 6 items
- (10). Langgaard, Louise and Hedwig Von Rohden. Loheland-Stiftung School : photographs, undated. 5 items
- (11). Mensendieck, Bess M. Mensendieck System Main School : photographs, undated. 2 items
- (12). Menzler, Dora. Dora Menzler School : photographs, undated. 2 items
- (13). Musterturn School : photographs, undated. 4 items
- (14). Schmidt, Margaretha. Margaretha Schmidt School : photographs, undated. 4 items
- (15). Senff, Hilda. Hilda Senff School for Rhythmic Gymnastics and Dance : photographs, undated. 7 items
- (16). Skoronel, Vera, d. 1932. Photographs, undated. 5 items
- (17). Wigman, Mary, 1886-1973. Photographs, undated. 3 items
- (18). Miscellaneous : photographs, undated. 7 items
- (19). Miscellaneous school performances. Unidentified schools and dancers: photographs, 1923, 1927 and undated. 4 items