MS Am 2669
Eliot, T. S. (Thomas Stearns), 1888-1965. T. S. Eliot correspondence with Conrad Aiken
and other papers, 1915-1991: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 2669
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Eliot, T. S. (Thomas Stearns), 1888-1965.
Title: T. S. Eliot correspondence with Conrad Aiken and other papers,
Date(s): 1915-1991 and undated.
Quantity: 1 collection (.33 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Correspondence of poets T. S. Eliot and Conrad Aiken, as well as that of their wives,
Valerie Eliot and Mary Hoover Aiken, along with some additional papers.
2008M-33. Purchased with the Amy Lowell Trust from Glenn Horowitz Bookseller, Inc., 7 West 18th Street, 6th Floor, New York, New York 10011; received: 2008 October 14.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Letters by T. S. Eliot require permission of the T. S. Eliot Estate to publish.
T. S. Eliot Correspondence with Conrad Aiken and Other Papers, 1915-1991 (MS Am 2669).
Houghton Library, Harvard University.
See HOLLIS and OASIS for additional T. S. Eliot and Conrad Aiken papers owned by the
T. S. (Thomas Stearns) Eliot (1888-1965) was an American-British poet, dramatist,
and critic, who received an AB degree from Harvard College in 1909. Conrad Aiken (1889-1973)
was an American poet, novelist, and short-story writer who received an AB from Harvard
College in 1911. Aiken and Eliot met at Harvard in 1907 and became lifelong friends.
Arranged alphabetically by author or title.
11 letters from T. S. Eliot to Conrad Aiken, some also signed by Eliot's wife, Valerie
Eliot, and some addressed to Aiken's wife, Mary Hoover Aiken. Also includes: 1 copy
of a letter from Aiken to Eliot; letters from Valerie Eliot to Conrad and Mary Aiken;
1 letter from Allen Tate to Conrad Aiken concerning T. S. Eliot; a photograph of Valerie
Eliot at the dedication of the Westminster Abbey T. S. Eliot memorial; and various
printed items concerning Eliot.
- (1). Aiken, Conrad, 1889-1973. Typescript letter (signed) photocopy to T. S. (Thomas Stearns) Eliot,1963 November 23. 1 folders
- (3). Eliot, T. S. (Thomas Stearns), 1888-1965.Triumphal march : printed poem;London,1931. 1 folders
Drawings by E. McKnight Kauffer.
Published as No. 35 of The Ariel Poems , published by Faber & Faber Limited, London. Printed at the Curwen Press, Plaistow.
- (4). Eliot, Valerie. Typescript letter (signed) to Conrad Aiken,1969 May 13. 1 folders
- (5). Eliot, Valerie. Letters to Mary Hoover Aiken,1960-1991. 1 folders
Includes the following 3 items:
- Autograph manuscript on printed postcard (signed),
Date: 1960 September 24. With manuscript notes in variant hand (in red ink).
- Typescript (signed) letter,
Date: 1965 September 29.
- Printed Christmas card (signed),
Date: 1991 December 18. With envelope.
- (7). T. S. Eliot memorial in Westminster Abbey, 1967. 1 folders
- Gerson, Mark, 1921-, photographer.Valerie Eliot laying flowers on T. S. Eliot's memorial stone in Poets' Corner of Westminster
Abbey : photograph, 1967 January 4.
- Westminster Abbey. A service at the unveiling and dedication of a memorial to Thomas
Stearns Eliot O.M. : program, 1967 January 4.
- 2 1967 clippings from the Evening Standard (London, England) and Yorkshire Post concerning the service.
- (8). Tate, Allen, 1899-1979. Typescript letter (signed) to Conrad Aiken,1963 November 13. 1 folders
Concerns Tom and Valerie and other topics.