MS Thr 548
Theatre Arts Monthly collection of photographs, circa 1900-1964: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Thr 548
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Theatre Arts Monthly collection of photographs,
Quantity: 1 collection (10 linear feet (27 boxes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are primarily in English.
Abstract: Photographs of theatrical persons, performances, and places from the archives of Theatre
Arts Books which produced the magazines Theatre Arts Magazine, Theatre Arts Monthly, and Theatre Arts.
No accession number. Gift of Theatre Arts Books; received: 1985 November 27.
Processed by: Amy Lang and Bonnie B. Salt, with the assistance of Melanie Wisner.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Theatre Arts Monthly Collection of Photographs, circa 1900-1964 (MS Thr 548). Harvard Theatre Collection,
Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Other portions of the Theatre Arts Monthly Collection have been cataloged into these
additional finding aids:
Theatre Arts Magazine (1916-1923), Theatre Arts Monthly (1924- October 1939), and Theatre Arts (November 1939-1964) were classic serial publications containing in-depth coverage
of every aspect of the theatre world.
Arranged into the following series:
These groupings were already established when collection was received in repository.
- I. Army (United States) shows
- II. Costume design
- III. Dance stills
- IV. Film stills
- V. Photographs by country
- VI. Scenes
- VII. Theatre buildings
- VIII. Miscellaneous subjects
- IX. Unsorted photographs
- X. Indexes
Collection primarily includes theatrically-related photographs used for the various
publications produced by Theatre Arts Books. Includes some other types of images such
as copy prints of drawings and other original artwork, a few letters, printed playbills,
posters, and programs. At the end of the collection is a typescript topical bibliography
listing articles from the Theatre Arts magazines, and a typescript cumulative index
of the magazine by title and author from 1916-1948.
Images are of all types of productions including plays, movies, musical stage productions,
ballets, folk dances, operas, music festivals, and others. Images depict individuals,
groups of actors, costume designs, stage sets, still images from films, United States
army shows, theatre buildings' interiors and exteriors, scenes from all types of productions,
and others. The bulk of the material is primarily from the United States and Great
Britain, but the scope is world-wide, also including France, Germany, Italy, and Russia,
among others. Most photographs are labeled and include more information than is contained
in this guide.
- Series: I. Army (United States) shows
- (1). Our town : army show photographs. 1 folders
- (2). Miscellaneous : army show photographs. 6 folders
- Series: V. Photographs by country
Arrangement: Arranged by name of the country with which the person, play, film, etc... was associated.
Scope and Contents: This is a miscelleaneous series of photographs which includes portraits of individuals,
scenes from plays and films, stage sets, and other types of images. Material found
here might also be represented in other series.
- (427). Czechoslovakia : theatrical photographs. 1 folders
- (428). France : theatrical photographs. 1 folders
- (429). Germany and Austria : theatrical photographs. 4 folders
- (430). Italy : theatrical photographs. 1 folders
- (431). Japan and China : theatrical photographs. 1 folders
- (432). Poland : theatrical photographs. 1 folders
- (433). Rumania : theatical photographs. 1 folders
- (434). Russia [including the former states of the Soviet Union] : theatical photographs. 3 folders
- (435). Sweden : theatrical photographs. 3 folders
- (436). Turkey : theatrical photographs. 1 folders
- (437). Miscellaneous countries : theatrical photographs. 1 folders
- Series: VIII. Miscellaneous subjects
Arrangement: Arranged alphabetically by folder title.
Scope and Contents: Materials found in this series might also be represented in other series. Not all
this material is photographs; also includes letters, printed playbills, photocopies,
posters, programs, etc...
- (1114). Chinatown, San Francisco : negative image (photocopy). 1 folders
- (1115). Circus : photographs. 1 folders
- (1116). Comedia dell'arte : photographs. 1 folders
- (1117). Masks : photographs. 1 folders
- (1118). Masks, Indian (and motifs) : photographs. 1 folders
- (1119). Paintings : photographs of theatrical related paintings. 16 folders
Also includes photographs of sculpture and other types of art related to the theatre.
- (1120). Playbills : photographs. 1 folders
- (1121). Playbills, German : printed. 1 folders
- (1122). Posters, German : printed. 1 folders
- (1123). Programs : printed. 1 folders
- (1124). Puppets : photographs. 4 folders
- (1125). Snow Queen(Nebraska) : photographs. 1 folders
- (1126). South America : photographs. 1 folders
- Series: IX. Unsorted photographs
- (1127). Unsorted photographs. 7 folders
- Series: X. Indexes
- (1129). Theatre Arts Books. Cumulative index of Theatre Arts Magazine, 1916-1948 : typescript, 1948. 4 volumes in 4 folders.
A cumulative index by title and author, and of pictures published in Theatre Arts. Author: Robert M. MacGregor.