MS Am 2652
Lane family. Lane family papers, 1840-1898: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Am 2652
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Lane family.
Title: Lane family papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (3.75 linear feet (8 boxes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English, German, and Latin.
Abstract: Papers of various members of the Lane family of Massachusetts, especially those of
Harvard professor of Latin, George Martin Lane (1823-1897), and his son, Gardiner
Martin Lane (1859-1914).
66M-134. Source unknown; probable 1958 gift to Widener by Katharine Ward Lane Weems, with transfer from Widener to Houghton, 1966.
Brief old accession record at Houghton titled these papers: "Lane by Weems." Volumes
were all accompanied by Widener Library searching report slips marked: "058*xx."
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
Part of the MS Storage project, 2008-2009.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
Lane Family Papers, 1840-1898 (MS Am 2652). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
There are related Lane family member papers at the Harvard University Archives and
at the Schlesinger Library.
George Martin Lane (1823-1897) was the son of Martin Lane and Lucretia Swan Lane.
He was Harvard College A.B. 1846 and traveled to Germany in 1847 to study classical
philology at universities in Berlin, Bonn, Heidelberg, and Göttingen. He received
his Ph.D. from Göttingen in 1851. Upon his return to Cambridge, Lane was appointed
Harvard University Professor of Latin, and in 1869 became Harvard's Pope Professor
of Latin Language and Literature until his retirement in 1894. He is especially known
for his Latin Pronunciation (1871) and his posthumously published Latin Grammar for Schools and Colleges (1898). The Grammar was completed and published by Lane's pupil, Professor Morris H. Morgan. Lane was married in 1857 to Frances Eliza Gardiner (d.1876) and in 1878 to Fanny Bradford Clark. He had three children with his first wife: Gardiner Martin Lane, Louisa Greenough
Lane, and Katherine Ward Lane.
Gardiner Martin Lane (1859-1914) was the son of Frances Eliza Gardiner and George
Martin Lane. He was Harvard College A.B. 1881, and married to Emma Louise Gildersleeve
Lane in 1898. Their only child was sculptor Katharine Ward Lane Weems (1899-1989).
Gardiner worked for the Union Pacific Railway Company, later for Lee, Higginson and
Company, and also was president of the Board of Trustees of the Boston Museum of Fine
Arranged alphabetically by author, then chronologically.
Primarily the papers of George Martin Lane, including his 1847-1849 diary and transcript
of this diary; extensive student notes taken while studying in Germany (Berlin, Bonn,
Heidelberg, and Göttingen) between 1847-1851; letters from Lane to William Ladd Ropes
and Henry A. Whitney; manuscripts assembled for his Latin Grammar for Schools and Colleges, as well as materials assembled by Morris H. Morgan for the 1898 publication of this
work; Harvard University examination papers from some of Lane's students of Latin;
and other materials.
Also includes a journal, address book, and visiting cards belonging to Gardiner Martin
Lane; will papers (1882-1894) of Mary S. Lane; and a transcript of an 1840 diary of
an unidentified Lane female.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- (2). Lane, Gardiner Martin, 1859-1914. Address book : autograph manuscript, 1886. 1 folders
- (3). Lane, George Martin, 1823-1897. Demosthenis Midiana : autograph manuscript, 1847? 1 folders
- (4). Lane, George Martin, 1823-1897. History of Greek literature : autograph manuscript; Göttingen, 1847-1848 Winter. 1 folders
- (5). Lane, George Martin, 1823-1897. Diary : autograph manuscript, 1847 September 6 - 1849 September 27. 2 folders
Diary written primarily while studying in Germany.
Includes drawings, clippings, and prints.
Loose items removed to folder.
- (8). Lane, George Martin, 1823-1897. Agamennon of Aeschylus by Prof. F. G. Schneidewin : autograph manuscript; Göttingen, 1848 Summer. 1 folders
- (9). Lane, George Martin, 1823-1897. History of Latin literature by Prof. K. F. Hermann : autograph manuscript; Göttingen, 1848 Summer. 1 folders
In English and German.
- (10). Lane, George Martin, 1823-1897. Encyclopedia and methodology of philology by Charles F. Hermann : autograph manuscript; Göttingen, 1848-1849. 1 folders
- (11). Lane, George Martin, 1823-1897. Griechische Literaturgeschichte. C. F. Hermann : autograph manuscript; Göttingen, 1848?-1849?. 1 folders
- (12). Lane, George Martin, 1823-1897. Lachman, Horaz, Propez? : autograph manuscript; Göttingen, 1848?-1849?. 1 folders
In German and English.
- (13). Lane, George Martin, 1823-1897. Latin syntax by Prof. F. W. Schneidewiss : autograph manuscript; Göttingen, 1848-1849. 1 folders
- (14). Lane, George Martin, 1823-1897. Student notebook: Bonn, Germany : autograph manuscript, 1849. 1 folders
- (15). Lane, George Martin, 1823-1897. Student notebook: Berlin, German : autograph manuscript, 1849-1850. 1 folders
- (16). Lane, George Martin, 1823-1897. Heyse. Philosophie der Sprache : autograph manuscript; Berlin, 1850 summer. 1 folders
- (17). Lane, George Martin, 1823-1897. Plautus ... by Prof. Schneidewin : autograph manuscript, 1850. 1 folders
- (18). Lane, George Martin, 1823-1897. Letters to Henry A. Whitney, 1855. 1 folders
Also with other letters about Lane from others to Whitney.
- (21). Lane, George Martin, 1823-1897. Usener's Homer and Usener's Chronology : autograph manuscript notes; Bonn, 1878 October - 1879 February. 1 folders
- (22). Lane, George Martin, 1823-1897. Exams for Latin : manuscript exam books, ca. 1890-1893. 1 folders
For students: J. Edmund Barsh, '92; Walton Brooks McDaniel, '93; and Herbert Bates.
- (25). Lane, Mary S. Papers concerning her will, 1882-1894. 1 folders
Mary S. Lane was a sister of George Martin Lane.
- (27). Loose materials found with papers, various dates. 1 folders