MS Am 2613
Wolkins, George Gregerson, 1878-1951. George Gregerson Wolkins papers, 1922-1942:
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Am 2613
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Wolkins, George Gregerson, 1878-1951.
Title: George Gregerson Wolkins papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (1.5 linear feet (3 boxes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Research materials, drafts of articles, correspondence, manuscript transcripts of
historical documents, and other materials, assembled by American historian, George
No accession number. Probably bequest of the estate of George G. Wolkins; probably received: 1951. NOTE:
the Harvard University President's Report for 1950-1951 records a gift to the University Library of a collection of materials from the estate
of George G. Wolkins.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
Part of the MS Storage project, 2008-2009. Only two boxes were located at time of
processing; a third, oversize folder was not found.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
George Gregerson Wolkins Papers, 1922-1942 (MS Am 2613). Houghton Library, Harvard
Additonal collections relating to Wolkins can be found at the Massachusetts Historical
Society and the Harvard Business School Historical Collections.
George Gregerson Wolkins (1878-1951) was the general manager of a wholesale coal dealer
(Hanson and Parker) in Boston, Massachusetts and an historian. He published historical articles, especially
in the Massachusetts Historical Society Proceedings and gave lectures throughout New England.
Arranged into the following series:
- I. Correspondence
- II. Research materials
- III. Transcripts of historical materials
Includes: correspondence between Wolkins and libraries and other historical institutions;
copies of historical documents from libraries and archives; autograph manuscript drafts,
typescripts, and galley proofs of articles and lectures; autograph manuscript notes
for research interests; manuscript transcripts of historical documents (especially
from Great Britain's Public Record Office); a few printed documents and articles related
to his research; account statements, receipts, and bills for securing documents; clippings;
and other materials.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- Series: I. Correspondence
- (1). B. F. Stevens and Brown, Ltd. Correspondence with GGW, ca. 1926-1936. 3 folders
- (2). Custom House, London. Correspondence with GGW, ca. 1926-1941. 1 folders
- (3). Library of Congress. Correspondence with GGW, ca. 1922-1931. 1 folders
- (4). Massachusetts Historical Society. Correspondence with GGW, ca. 1924-1942. 1 folders
- (5). Morison, Samuel Eliot. Correspondence with GGW, 1928. 1 folders
- (6). Museum Book Store, London. Correspondence with GGW, ca. 1929-1931. 1 folders
- (7). Yale University. Correspondence with GGW, ca. 1929-1930. 1 folders
- (8). Miscellaneous correspondence with GGW, ca. 1926-1942. 1 folders
- Series: II. Research materials
- (9). Benjamin Barrons general. 1 folders
- (10). Bernard et al : papers and notes. 1 folders
- (11). Bernard : manuscript. 1 folders
- (12). Bodleian Library - Oxford. 1 folders
- (13). Bollan on writs of assistance : proof and drafts. 1 folders
- (14). Boston Customs District in 1768 : proofs. 1 folders
- (15). Boston in revolution - Earl Percy. 1 folders
- (16). British Museum. 1 folders
- (17). Custom House (London) general. 1 folders
- (18). Daniel Malcom and writs of assistance : proofs, typescript, printed. 2 folders
- (19). Dartmouth : manuscript notes. 1 folders
- (20). Dicey, A.V. lecture et al. 1 folders
- (21). George Washington lecture : draft. 1 folders
- (22). History miscellany. 1 folders
- (23). Library of Congress miscellany. 2 folders
- (24). Printed material. 1 folders
- (25). Seizure of John Hancock's sloop liberty - paper MHS : draft. 1 folders
- (26). Writs of assistance in England : typescripts. 1 folders
- Series: III. Transcripts of historical materials
- (27). Transcripts: unsorted. 14 folders
These are primarily manuscript transcripts from the British Public Record Office.