MS Thr 486
Ward, John M. (John Milton), 1917-2011. John M. Ward research materials concerning
the theater, 1985: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Thr 486
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Ward, John M. (John Milton), 1917-2011.
Title: John M. Ward research materials concerning the theater,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 linear foot (2 boxes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Research materials compiled for Harvard music professor John Milton Ward.
2005MT-16. Gift of John Milton and Ruth Neils Ward; received by Dept. of Printed Books : 2003. Transferred to Manuscripts, 2005 Aug. 31.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt with the assistance of Morris Levy.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
John M. Ward Research Materials Concerning the Theater, 1985 (MS Thr 486). Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
See also the John Milton and Ruth Neils Ward Collection of the Harvard Theatre Collection
itemized in the HOLLIS database. The collection is comprised of thousands of books,
scores, librettos, playbills, illustrations, and ephemera relating to public performances
that incorporate music in an essential way, such as ballet, opera, social dance, pantomime,
operetta, and burlesque.
John Milton Ward was the Harvard University William Powell Professor of Music, Emeritus,
and Honorary Curator of Dance and Music for the Theatre in the Harvard College Library.
Memorandums and autograph notes by research assistant Mark Evan Bonds, produced for
Harvard University professor John Milton Ward. Research materials include photocopies
of pages from British and Russian periodicals concerning Russian ballet, British pantomine,
and other theatrical topics. Also includes typescript composition by Bonds and one
by Roland John Wiley. Some materials include autograph annotations by John M. Ward.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- (1). Bonds, Mark Evan. Memorandums and research notes sent to John M. (John Milton) Ward, 1985 May-September. 1 folders
Includes autograph manuscript notes concerning the periodicals Bonds searched.
- (2). Bonds, Mark Evan, compiler. Research materials concerning British pantomine : printed material (photocopies),
autograph manuscripts, 1985 . 3 folders
Date: 1985 .
Includes articles and notes from:
- Belle assemblée, 1807-1825.
- British lady's magazine, 1819.
- British magazine review, 1782-1783.
- Drakard's paper, 1813-1820.
- General magazine, and impartial review, 1787-1792.
- European magazine, 1782-1820.
- Lady's magazine, 1775-1791.
- London magazine and New London magazine, 1770-1789.
- Monthly mirror, 1795-1810.
- Sporting magazine, 1794-1812.
- Town and country magazine, 1770-1789.
- Universal magazine, 1773-1809.
- Whitehall evening post, 1781-1784.
- (3). Bonds, Mark Evan, compiler. Russian ballet in Russian periodicals : typescript photocopy, 1985. 1 folders
Transcripts of articles on Russian ballet, taken from Russian periodicals published
Includes list of publications included.
Lists articles covering the following subjects: Nutcracker, Marius Petipa, Sleeping Beauty, St. Petersburg Ballet, Swan Lake, and other topics.
- (4). Bonds, Mark Evan. Selected passages from London newspapers concerning Charles Didelot and the King's
Theatre : typescript mimeograph, typescript, autograph manuscript, printed material (photocopy),
1985. 1 folders
Documents removed from yellow three-ring notebook.
- (6). Wiley, Roland John. A selection of Benois : typescript mimeograph, undated. 1 folders
Text concerning Alexandre Benois.