MS Am 2447
Schlein, Stephen, collector. Stephen Schlein Erik Erikson additional papers, 1952-1992:
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Am 2447
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Schlein, Stephen, collector.
Title: Stephen Schlein Erik Erikson additional papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (.5 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Papers of and concerning German-born American psychoanalyst, Erik Erikson, collected
by Stephen Schlein.
2005M-56. Gift of Stephen Schlein, 4 Longfellow Road, Lexington, MA; received: 2006 May 31.
95M-2. Formerly restricted: unrestricted as of 2012 December 20. See item (20a).
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
Stephen Schlein Erik Erikson Additional Papers, 1952-1992 (MS Am 2447). Houghton Library,
See other materials collected by Stephen Schlein and related to Erik Erikson in HOLLIS
Clinical notes received with this accession were moved to accession *95M-2 and are restricted.
Notes by Stephen Schlein originally attached to this material have been removed to
the curatorial file.
German born (as Erik Homburger), Erik Erikson (1902-1994) was an American psychoanalyst,
educator and author. In 1930 he married Joan Mowat Serson, a Canadian dancer and artist.
They emigrated from Vienna to the U.S. in 1933. He was best known for his work in
child development and life-span studies, coining the phrase "identity crisis", and
in the field that became known as psychohistory.
Organized into two series:
- I. Correspondence
- II. Compositions and printed material
Primarily additional manuscript and printed materials given to psychologist Stephen
Schlein (SS) by Erik Erikson (EHE) or assembled by Schlein for his research. Some
papers used for Schlein's editorial work on Erikson's A way of looking at things: selected papers from 1930 to 1980. Includes: correspondence with Schlein about EHE; a few autograph, typescript, and
photocopy compositions by EHE, and others by SS; biographical material such as EHE
bibliographies, resumes, copies of images; materials concerning the history of the
Erik H. and Joan M. Erikson Center at the Cambridge Hospital; much printed material
about EHE; and other papers.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- Series: I. Correspondence
- (1). Austin, Dorothy. Letter to Stephen Schlein, 1985. 1 folders
Concerns celebrating publication of 35th anniversary edition of Childhood and Society and reception at Houghton Library concerning the donation of EHE's papers.
- (2). Erik H. and Joan M. Erikson Center (Cambridge Hospital, Cambridge, Mass.). Invitations to Stephen Schlein, 1989 and undated. 1 folders
1989 invitation includes photograph of Robert Rubenstein painting of EHE on recto.
- (3). Erikson, Erik H. (Erik Homburger), 1902-1994. Letter of permission for Stephen Schlein, 1989. 1 folders
2 copies: one draft in hand of SS and one typescript signed by EHE. Gives permission
for SS to use case records and clinical materials at Austen Riggs Center, Houghton
Library, and the Judge Baker Children's Center.
- (4). Radcliffe College. Mary Ingraham Bunting Institute.Invitation to Stephen Schlein, 1992. 1 folders
Also includes letter from Harriet Harvey cancelling this event, the demo of the videotape of A way of looking at things, The life and work of Erik H. Erikson.
- (5). Schlein, Stephen. Letter to members of Erikson Center Faculty Seminar, 1987. 1 folders
With manuscript annotations by Erik H. (Erik Homburger) Erikson.
- (6). Schlein, Stephen. Note to Joan M. (Joan Mowat) Erikson and Erik H. (Erik Homburger) Erikson, 1986. 1 folders
- (7). Schlein, Stephen. Letter to Douglas Jacobs, 1982. 1 folders
Concerning Schlein's paper on Erikson's perspective on children's play and child psychoanalysis
for the June 1983 Cambridge Hospital Psychotherapy Symposium.
- (8). Schlein, Stephen. Letter to W. W. Norton & Company, 1989. 1 folders
Concerns contract for Schlein's publication of EHE's clinical work.
- Series: II. Compositions and printed material
- (9). Austen Riggs Center. Rappaport/Kein Study Group.Second biannual memorial lecture : typescript transcript, 1976 June 18. 1 folders
Additional title: Erikson - Freud/Jung correspondence. Staff discussion led by EHE about his paper on the Freud-Jung correspondence.
- (10). Conferences concerning EHE : printed fliers, 1983-1992. 1 folders
Includes the following conference fliers:
- Framingham Mental Health Association. Youth Guidance Center.Child's play. 1983 conference on the theoretical and clinical applications of play therapy including
Stephen Schlein's paper, Erik H. Erikson: Exploration in the interpretation of children's play.
- Massachusetts Association for Psychoanalytic Psychology.Spring program listing. Includes presentation by SS: A clinical investigation ...
- McLean Hospital and Harvard Medical School. Dept. of Psychiatry.Colloquium on the History of Medicine. 1991-1992 conference including SS's paper, Clinical investigations into Erik Erikson's psychotherapeutic method: An interpersonal-countertransference
- Mount Auburn Hospital. Dept. of Psychiatry.Psychiatry Grand Rounds: Configurations of human potential: Erik Erikson's contribution
to the process of psychotherapy - an interpersonal/existential perspective. 1989 talk.
- (11). Erik Erikson and Stephen Schlein at Bennington College : color photocopy of a photograph, 1978. 1 folders
Taken during EHE lecture on Life cycle, when SS was post-doctoral fellow and group
- (12). Erik H. and Joan M. Erikson Center (Cambridge Hospital, Cambridge, Mass.).Erikson Center report : printed, March 1985. 1 folders
- (13). Erik H. and Joan M. Erikson Center (Cambridge Hospital, Cambridge, Mass.). Pamphlets : printed, 1982-1987. 1 folders
Various materials listing seminars available through the Center.
- (14). Erikson, Erik H. (Erik Homburger), 1902-1994.Bibliography : typescript mimeographs, typescript photocopy, circa 1982. 1 folders
Two copies with manuscript annotations. Given to Stephen Schlein by EHE and utilized
for planning and organizing of A way of looking at things.
- (15). Erikson, Erik H. (Erik Homburger), 1902-1994.The couple who came for dinner : autograph manuscript photocopy, undated. 1 folders
Portrait sketch on Larry Frank.
- (16). Erikson, Erik H. (Erik Homburger), 1902-1994.Curriculum vitae : typescript mimeograph with manuscript annotations, circa 1952. 1 folders
- (17). Erikson, Erik H. (Erik Homburger), 1902-1994.Dedication for A way of looking at things : typescript photocopy, circa 1987. 1 folders
- (18). Erikson, Erik H. (Erik Homburger), 1902-1994.Discussion with Steve Schlein : autograph manuscript, undated. 1 folders
Note resulting from discussion with SS about his book.
- (20). Erikson, Erik H. (Erik Homburger), 1902-1994. List of papers on childhood play and sex differences : autograph manuscript, undated.
Given to Schlein at Austin Riggs.
- (20a). Erikson, Erik H. (Erik Homburger), 1902-1994. Memorandum about Norman Rockwell to Robert P. (Robert Palmer) Knight : autograph manuscript; Stockbridge, Massachusetts, 1954 August 4. 1s. (2p.) in 1 folder.
Annotated: File / Rockwell / RPK / EHE.
Discusses Rockwell's depression, relationship with Mary Rockwell, and recommends
a vacation for N. Rockwell.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: Removed from: 95M-2. Formerly restricted; unrestricted as of 2012 December 20.
- (22). Erikson, Erik H. (Erik Homburger), 1902-1994.Picture books : typescript mimeograph with autograph corrections, undated. 1 folders
English translation from German of paper given at the House of Children,Vienna,1930 , published in Zeitschrift fuer Psychoanalytische Paedagogik , Vol. 5, 1931.
- (23). Erikson, Erik H. (Erik Homburger), 1902-1994. Various papers : photocopies, various dates. 1 folders
- Childhood and society , from Children of the Caribean,1961.
- Play configurations in pre-adolescents, a few pages.
- Deviations from normal child development with reference to cross-cultural patterns and Etiology of maladjustment in the environment of the child , from Scandinavian Seminar on Child Psychiatry and Child Guidance Work, WHO, 1952.
- Sex differences in play construction of twelve-year-old children , in Discussions on Child Development.
- (24). Harvard Medical School. Dept. of Continuing Education. Fliers concerning Erik Erikson, 1983-1990. 1 folders
Most list conferences where EHE spoke.
- (25). Miscellany concerning the development of the Erikson Center at Cambridge Hospital,
1979-1988. 1 folders
- Tosteson, Daniel C. Letter to Lee B. Macht, 1979.
- Brenman-Gibson, Margaret. Letter, note (with envelope) and card to Stephen Schlein, 1980.
- Letter to raise funds to establish the Erik H. and Joan M. Erikson Professorship of
Human Development from Myron L. Belfer,John E. Mack, and Robert Coles, 1982.
- Proposal to endow a chair of human development in honor of Erik H. Erikson : typescript mimeograph.
- "Erikson Center to open at Cambridge Hospital" in Harvard Medical Area Focus , 1982 June 3 (2 copies).
- Zinberg, Norman. Letter to Robert Dorwart, 1988.
- (26). National Book Foundation (U.S.). Judges for philosophy & religion : typescript mimeograph, 1970. 1 folders
List of judges for the year EHE received the National Book Award for Gandhi's truth.
- (27). Rockwell, Norman, 1894-1978. Erik Erikson : photograph of drawing, undated. 1 folders
- (28). Schlein, Stephen.Bibliography for Infancy and the preschool years: Erik H. Erikson and an ego psychology
perspective of human development : typescript photocopy, undated. 1 folders
Bibliography and Life cycle charts used by SS in a paper.
- (29). Schlein, Stephen. Erik Erikson's contribution to the process of psychotherapy: an interpersonal perspective : typescript mimeograph with manuscript annotations by Erik Erikson, undated. 1 folders
Bibliography for Schlein's paper on EHE's clinical work.
- (31). Schlein, Stephen. Selected papers of Erik H. Erikson : typescript mimeograph, typescript with autograph manuscript revisions photocopy,
1984. 1 folders
Bibliography and Life cycle charts used by SS in his teaching.